DS9 Disrespected in Films

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Trek4Ever, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What I'm talking about are the TNG films and how DS9 was treated. To me it seems like VOY got more screen time and reverance in the films than DS9.
    As far as I can recall there wasn't any reference to the station in Generations.
    In First Contact the Defiant is shown been defeated by the Borg Cube and that was the only reference to the show with Riker's halfhearted remark about it been a tough little ship, meanwhile the EMH appears (granted it was Enterprise's EMH).
    Insurrection was particularly bad with the DS9 drubbing, in one occasion Picard admonishes Worf (I think for been late) with "I don't know how they do things on DS9 but here..." plus Quark's cameo was cut out of the film.
    Finally in Nemesis viewers get to see Janeway onscreen, now promoted to an admiral, while no mention is even made of DS9 not even how come Worf is no longer an ambassador.
    Been that Berman seemed to be more involved witht the films and his apparent lack of interest in DS9 it really doesn't come as a surprise as to how show was treated in the big screen. Too bad given the fact that a DS9 film is unlikely.

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

That, and there seemed to been a falling out between the DS9 staff and those involved with the movies.

The DS9 Staff were PO'ed that the Defiant was used at all in FC, and that they had to reference the Borg attack in FC, weren't they?

3. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

Yup, DS9 was disrespected and otherwise completely ignored in the TNG films. And then disrespected even worse in my view when it got passed over for a remake prequel film.

In addition to what is listed in the OP, they also clearly ignored that Romulan Ale was made legal in DS9 as if that never ever happened and had a scene with Worf which defnitely contradicts DS9's canon on that (no, the argument "it was legal and then made illegal again" does not fly).

4. Tzenkethi

Tzenkethi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Worf makes no mention of his relationship and marriage to Jhadzia Dax or even anything regarding his and Troi's romance in TNG season 7, Worfs role in the last two films was comic relief rather then the way he was used in First Contact.
    Riker saying "tough little ship." is a callback to Thomas Riker in DS9 episode 'Defiant' he says exactly the same thing.
    I don't think the films were even observant of TNG that much either, for instance Data just popping the emotion chip in because he gave Doctor Crusher a cold bath flies right in the face of the events that happened in 'Descent'.

5. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the original script referred to Jadzia in the scene where Worf came aboard. At least DS9 mentioned the Son'a in Penumbra.

6. Atariboy

Atariboy Commander Red Shirt

In case you didn't notice, even TNG was disrespected in the films. :lol:

7. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Considering the movies' production crews routinely used numerous DS9 staffers, this obviously isn't true. And while its obvious that DS9's writers weren't overly fond of the higher-ups, they've always been fairly civil. Compare that to, say, the Beebs-bashing unleashed by certain ex-Voyager and Enterprise cast members.

Not quite true. Berman initially wanted to up the dramatic tension by destroying the Defiant in the battle. Obviously this didn't sit well with Ira Behr, so he threatened to ignore it on DS9. Berman backed down. I doubt Ira gave a fig about the actual Borg attack.

Anyone who thinks there was ever a chance of a big screen DS9 movie must be delusional, honestly. As for DS9 references, the writers added the references that they thought the general public would... y'know... get. DS9 and Voyager's public knowledge boil down to: Female Captain, Worf, Hologram, Jeri Ryan, some sort of Space War, and Quark. So that's what made it into the movies, apart from Seven.

That's a minor continuity error, not some conscious effort to spite DS9. I had to check Memory Alpha just to confirm that you were right about this. And as far as Worf and Nemesis contradicting DS9... this is your biggest complaint? I wish this was the worst brain-fart the writers had with Worf in Nemesis. :lol:

8. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, the co-executive producer of Deep Space 9, who wrote First Contact, disrespected the show he was co-executive producer on??

Seems a bit sketchy to me.

There were only 2 nods of Voyager in the movies, the EMH and Janeway cameo. DS9, by virtue of having Worf and the Defiant, got more screen time.

Besides. They were TNG movies. There's no obligation to shoehorn any of the other series in if they didn't want to.

And come on, Worf not mentioning Jadzia is a problem for the movies? He wasn't even allowed to remember her during the last episode of the series during his montage!! If someone's going to make this a complain, be fair. DS9 was NOT disrespected. It was simply not the focus.

9. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Worf did mention Jadzia in the script for Insurrection but that bit was deleted because Terry Farrell had left the show. If she had remained there in season 7 Worf and Jadzia's relation would've gotten a mention in the film. No slight intended.

10. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Meh.. I liked what we got better.

Picard: Mr. Worf! What the hell are you doing here?!
    Worf: Captain, I was..[Cut to Riker]
    :lol:

11. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

How about this:

Worf: We do not discuss it with outsiders.

;)

12. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you! :thumbsup:

13. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

:lol:

Yeah. And it is for this reason that I hope that DS9 DOESN'T ever get a film...unless Ira Behr & Co. get full control. And since that is about as likely to happen as hell freezing over, what I'm really saying is that I hope DS9 never gets a film.

Why would we want a film? Especially one with Rick Berman involved in it?

Insurrection sucked...and Nemesis? 'Sucked' is a major understatement, when it comes to Nemesis. That film TOTALLY ruined TNG. What little remaining interest I had in TNG by that time, in fact, got sucked into the gaping black (plot)hole that was Nemesis. I think I'd rather see Free Enterprise again that to watch the embarassment of Nemesis. Free Enterprise is an incredibly stupid film...but at least Shatner makes me laugh - even if it's AT him rather than WITH him. But even the TNG actors were embarrassed by Nemesis. Except for Marina Sirtis...who will stoop to about any level to grab a paycheck since she is apparently incapable of securing employment outside of Trek.

Who cares if one of the worst scifi films ever made left any mention of DS9 out? Once again, I think DS9 was SPARED when it got left out of Nemesis. It's name was not sullied with any sort of association to that terrible film.

14. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Insurrection would have sucked even more if Piller hadn't asked Ira Behr for his opinions on the first draft. Plus don't forget the Quark cameo Piller wrote for Insurrection which was almost filmed.

15. PKTrekGirl

^ True enough.

But seriously - think about the TNG films. The ONLY one that is really good is FC. The others were pretty lame. Generations had the gimmick of having both the TNG and TOS crews in it...but was otherwise not a particularly great film. FC was good...but Insurrection and Nemesis were bad, and steaming-pile-of-crap-bad, respectively.

So why people are so upset about DS9 not being included in those train wrecks is really beyond me.

One of the main reasons DS9 is so great, in fact, is that Rick Berman, Brannon Braga, and the rest of them forgot DS9 existed most of the time.

These guys could easily have ruined DS9. It was only the show's red-headed-stepchild status that kept it safe from the general trend toward sucktitude. :lol:

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I dunno about Braga, the one time he did write a DS9 story ("Birthright" Part One) he did a really good job.

17. PKTrekGirl

^ Brannon Braga was all over the map.

If you look at his body of work, he did write some decent episodes for the various Trek shows (though none for DS9). However, he ALSO was responsible for some of the worst episodes in Trek: Threshold, A Night in Sickbay, These are the Voyages, Sub Rosa, Genesis, to name a few.

So while I give him credit for things like Year of Hell, if you look at the all of the really BAD episodes in TNG-and-forward Trek, you quite often see his name in the credits. ;)

18. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

From IMDB about Nemesis:

Every previous Star Trek series gets some sort of mention or reference. There's a maneuver named for Captain Kirk from "Star Trek" (1966). There is mention of the Dominion War from "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993). Captain Janeway from "Star Trek: Voyager" (1995) has a cameo. And one of the ships that the Enterprise was to rendezvous with is the USS Archer, named for the captain in "Enterprise" (2001).

YMMV

19. Malcom

Malcom Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree that DS9 gets unfairly ignored in the films. This might be because DS9 was about the evolving story - the Dominion War, etc. while Voyager's strength was its characters.

But since the films are mostly lousy, DS9 is probably better off that way.

20. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

It wasn't just almost filmed, it WAS filmed.