Dream Books by Dream Authors

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by marlboro, Nov 3, 2018.

1. marlboro

marlboro Guest

Here's the deal: you can have any author (living or dead) write the next Trek novel.What would the book be and who would write it?

No limits here. You can pick anyone from Shakespeare to some poor unknown writer toiling away in obscurity. If you want to read Tom Clancy's Section 31, or E.L. James' Enigma Tails: 50 Shades of Grey just make your call.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2018
  2. Sionevar

Sionevar Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I would say Philip K. Dick, but his novels often revolve around concepts of duality / split identity / alternate reality, and there's a whole bunch of Trek episodes and books that have already tackled those ideas pretty well...

3. Sionevar

Sionevar Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm very fond of a Scottish author called Christopher Brookmyre, who writes crime thrillers with heavy doses of black comedy, satire, politics and social commentary thrown in for good measure. I'd love to see what he could do with Scotty. Maybe a story where Scotty goes home to see him family, finds a dead body out in his mum's back garden, and comedic chaos ensues? :-)

T'Ressa Dax and Brefugee like this.
  4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm just gonna stick with actual Trek authors for now.

@David Mack writes a World War III epic. At least three novels in the series.

@Christopher keeps writing 'Rise of the Federation' novels. Including the parts of the Romulan War novels that got cut.

@KRAD does a DSC novel explaining the season 1 Klingons. :evil:

T'Ressa Dax likes this.
  5. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since he's already written a Short Treks episode and is on staff for the new Picard series, how about Michael Chabon penning an out-there concept Trek novel?

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  6. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Me, too:

Always wanted to see Diane Duane do something with the DS9 crew.

And, not Trek, but I think it'd be interesting to see KRAD or Christopher Bennett do a Star Wars novel. (Also, if Andromeda was still a thing I think Mr. Bennett could have done a really good novel for that series)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  7. Mr. Laser Beam

I would not exactly lose any sleep if Diane Carey never had anything to do with Trek, ever again, up to and including the heat death of the universe.

Why would I say this, you may ask? Read the ENT "Broken Bow" novelization. Unprofessional and childish to a fault. :(

(Diane, if you're reading this: Your job was to novelize the fucking episode. Not to include a shit-ton of smartass remarks after every scene, regarding how bad you thought the script was.)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    ClayinCA likes this.
  8. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Stephen King writing a Star Trek Halloween-like story would be great. Just my opinion, as it is a fantasy thread.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Not exactly Trek, but one of King's stories deals with a device a bit like the transporter. Without a doubt, THE scariest story I have ever read, by any author. :eek:

The Jaunt.

10. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I dimly remember it. Very scary. Now we know why Kate Pulaski and Dr. McCoy hate Teleportation.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I really want a Robert J. Sawyer TOS novel.

Kertrats47 and Avro Arrow like this.
  12. Mysterion

I'd buy that.

13. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Robert J. Sawyer seems like he'd be a great fit. Also James Alan Gardner.

Greg Cox likes this.
  14. Aaron McGuire

Aaron McGuire Commodore Commodore

If I remember correctly, Sawyer has mentioned that he pitched a Trek novel in the 90s though that may have been a TNG book.

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

He did do a 20,000 word sample TOS novel in the '80s. I'd be curious to see a '90s TNG pitch from him too. I'd also be down for a novel set in the Trek universe with brand new characters. :)

16. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

For anyone interested, the first five chapters and the outline are available on his website.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isaac Asimov rises from the grave to tell a sweeping epic about the rise and fall of the Federation.

Desert Kris and Kertrats47 like this.
  18. Mysterion

And then Asimov writes the definitive Data story.

19. marlboro

marlboro Guest

Mark Twain writing one of his famous travel books, but about his travels across the 4 quadrants of the galaxy. I would enjoy reading his humorous and acerbic insights into the various Trek species.

Robert Heinlein writing an alternate view of Roddenberry 's utopia via a book detailing the history of the Federation.

Phillip K. Dick writing a reality bending tale featuring Lt. Barclay and the holodeck.

Tolkien writing an epic fantasy novel that reinterprets the various Trek worlds as nations on a single planet.

Homer writing down the legends of the Tamarian's from Darmok.

"2284" George Orwell writing a more political oriented Never-ending Sacrifice style story about Cardassia.

20. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can imagine the premise: turns out the Romulans and Cardassians were right all along.

Also, that planet from TOS with all the Nazis.