Donny’s Late TOS Movie Era Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Jan 25, 2017.

1. TOMFAN

TOMFAN Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The red doors alone already make it look much better!

As for the yellow back-lit panels, I always thought the hexagonal panels, with their changing light patterns behiind them, from TMP/TWOK, looked pretty cool.

Also, if you do change the yellow panels, do you think that the two large, upright panels, on either side of the transporter bay, would look good in a different colour, maybe a pale blue?

2. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I second that. I'd suggest a bluish-silver, although maybe change the backlit yellows to a blue/green color scheme, kind of like the Jenolen?

3. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

From what I understand, the rationale behind that was to shield the transporter operator from excess radiation. It's the same reason your dentist leaves the room when he's taking your x-rays: The low amount of radiation you get is basically harmless, but the cumulative effect of constant exposure is less so.

4. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Glad you are including the glass around the console in TFF and TUC. A different version was established in TMP.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  5. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I know that's the theory, but it doesn't make much sense when virtually all other transporters in Star Trek manage without them. Maybe there was something specific about late-23rd century Starfleet transporter technology?

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, like scrambling their molecules to the level that they returned to their point of origin as puddles of molten slag. :whistle:

Jedman67 likes this.
  7. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The explanation in MSGTTE was that is was the machinery in the floor that gave off the dangerous cumulative radiation effects, with the Transportees being protected by an invisible forcefield that popped on just prior to transport.
    Which really begs the question: WHY LEAVE THE MACHINERY EXPOSED IN THE FIRST PLACE????

8. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

Maybe the designer was going through a steam-punk phase?

dJE

Jedman67 likes this.
  9. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

I can change that very easily, since I've already made that material for my TWOK transporter:
    [​IMG]

I think I'll keep them as they are, since they were already different design and color from the TNG version:
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/season-4/4x26/redemption-hd-407.jpg

I'll give that a try as well. Might be more logical since the Jenolen was a ship closer to TUC's era.

TOMFAN and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  10. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ref:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

What if these transporter rooms are designed for alteration of the internal atmosphere to accommodate beaming of beings not native to oxygen-nitrogen atmospheres. The booth would protect the operator.

Firebird and Mytran like this.
  12. Donny

Here's tonight's quick test with the color pallete from the Jenolen:

[​IMG]

And the original for quick comparison:
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?

[EDIT] The more I look at the new version, the more incorrect the filmed version looks!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Uxi, ian128K, GNDN18 and 6 others like this.
  13. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks perfect! Matches with the blue/green colour pallette of the TUC Lcars, rather than the yellow/orange look from TNG.

Let's just take a moment to appreciate the brilliance of that transporter room set, which appeared in Trek virtually unchanged from 1979 to 2001!

TOMFAN and cardinal biggles like this.
  14. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Just the color change makes a world of difference! I'd be curious to see how it turns out if you swap in the honeycomb panels (with the moving light pattern from TWOK, but in the Jenolen palette).

15. TOMFAN

That is absolutely incredible! Brilliant work!

16. TOMFAN

Brilliant, looks so much better like that, a lot better than they made it look in the film!

Also, thinking about it, the blue colour fits in better with the blue effect they used for the transporter beam in the film.

17. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could have sworn the "dentist office shield" was in TUC. I only say that because I remember remarking when I saw it that I hadn't seen it since TMP.

It was one of those "let's be more realistic" touches (like the security guard's armor) that disappeared quickly never to be seen in another era of Star Trek. (Unlike wearable communicators which were just an idea before their time.)

18. Tallguy

19. Donny

Yep! Just haven't gotten that far in the modeling process yet.

20. Tallguy

AH! I misread this.

So the original screen is there in TMP. Is it in TWOK? TSFS? I had no idea there was one in TFF because, well, it's TFF. But it's the same as TUC? Is the TUC xporter a redress of TNG?

Complicated business you're in, sir. :)