Donny’s Late TOS Movie Era Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Jan 25, 2017.

1. A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, could be that's why he's using that hand to hold the glass... (and literally flipping off Shatner behind his back?) :P

2. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Will your 1701-A warp core be TUC on screen re-used NG Set [1701-D Galaxy class blue rings] or be TMP/WOK/SFS set warp core design[blue flux]? :shrug:I like TMP/WOK/SFS blue flux design.

3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

If and when I get around the modeling the engineering set of the Enterprise-A, I want to replace the TNG warp-core with a more era-accurate one. So yes. I will most likely use the basic shape of the TMP warp core but slightly modified aesthetically (in ways I have yet to determine) to fit a more 2290s vibe.

4. Galileo7

Brilliant! :techman: I always felt that TUC using the 1701-D Set looked very wrong production design wise..

Sibyl likes this.
  5. Donny

I agree. However, it made sense budget-wise. After working in an entertainment production job for the past 2 and a half years and seeing how and why those kinds of decisions are made, I am much more forgiving of those unfortunate corners that were cut.

sintesi, RedForman, Firebird and 4 others like this.
  6. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think all the TNG warp core really needs to better fit 2293 is to replace the blinking ribbed tube with the swirling cylinder of TMP and VOY. The rest of the structure is fine.

7. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

I imagine it's ribbed for greater excitation of the subspace domain.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  8. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Isn't the only thing we see of Engineering a curved glass partition and a reflection of the blinking ribbed tube? If that's the case then the only thing that has to stay the same is the blinking ribbed tube.

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

No. We see other shots, including the camera pointed down and dropping vertically alongside the core.

10. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

oh, right, I forgot there were scenes there during the final battle.

11. Galileo7

12. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FWIW, since the camera view coming down the vertical shaft only showed one horizontal shaft (the other obscured behind the vertical shaft) you could just rotate the room 45 degrees with the curved glass corner toward the "bow" of the ship and you'd keep the same functional design as the original..

Donny likes this.
  13. Donny

I've actually considered something fairly similar. Instead of rotating the room 45 degrees to align with that one visible horizontal shaft to the center line of the ship, why not just rotate the warp core 45 degrees, leaving the room as is?

I should note that I'm not so hung up about remaining as screen accurate on this TUC project as I am on my TOS project. Because these sets only appeared in one film in this specific arrangement and color scheme, and because of blatant re-use of TNG-era set pieces in places, I don't mind making alterations to present a more unique and idealized version of the Enterprise-A. Within reason, of course ;) The reason I'm keeping the bridge 100% as seen in the movie is because, unlike most of the other Ent-A sets, this one to me feels likethe most realized set, featuring no recycled TNG pieces.

14. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, you've been in that job for two and half years already? Time flies. I remember you posting about your nervousness interviewing for that job! Glad you've had the discipline to keep up with your own projects while still working your day job. That's not easy! :techman:

Spaceship Jo and Sibyl like this.
  15. Galileo7

Donny, you probably have already stated this, but do you like the 1701-A TVH-TFF-TUC better than the 1701-Refit TMP-WOK-SFS because of the production design of the interior sets ?

16. Donny

I wouldn't say I like one better than the other. But, I will say I prefer the harder-edged military aesthetic of both the TWOK and TUC interiors over their softer appearances in the other films.

17. TOMFAN

TOMFAN Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

One of the things that bugged me about TUC interior, was how small and cramped Kirks quarters were, especially when he used to have that great set in TMP with the different rooms, and the sliding glass doors.

I know it was to emphasise the submarine feel that they wanted for the film, but it never felt right to me.

Uxi likes this.
  18. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think all of that is still there, they just shot it so you wouldn't notice.

19. Donny

Actually, they split Kirk's/Data's quarters in two. The "living area" of Kirk's TMP-era quarters became Kirk's cabin in TUC, while the "office area" became the crew's quarters (with bunks and lockers) we see later in the film (in which Checkov has his "If shoe fits, wear it" moment). In the following two shots, you'll see that the TNG "replicator" was used to plug the wall, and was simply turned to face inward when shooting each room.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In the upper right hand corner of the last shot, you can see the unmistakable horizontal ceiling beams that were added to the set in TWOK, and the curved wall of the original TMP set which is now adorned with horizontal slats. Kirk's cabin was just on the other side of the wall with the replicator.

Another interesting note: Picard's quarters was converted into yet another crew quarter's set (also with bunks) for TUC, which we see very briefly during the montage where the crew is scanning for Klingon blood on "all...uniforms". Trekcore's screencaps didn't seem to capture a good shot of that specific scene, so I'll take and upload a shot when I get home this evening.

[EDIT] And just to further demonstrate, the door that Crewman Dax enters for the scene is the doorway added to the quarters set for TNG's first season:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  20. Star Trek Apolgist

Star Trek Apolgist Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well technically these still are the sets from the first movies, just remodeled for TNG, the odd part is that they were just torn down after they finished filming Star Trek 6. Strange since TNG needed it for filming. That is why the lower crew quarters change in season 5. BTW the "Replicator" behind Kirk can also be seen with the ST6 graphic in a few TNG episodes. Most legible in the TNG episode Violations. They just forgot to change it out. The truth is this set is more a matter of a TOS set being used in TNG unlike the Engineering is closer to a TNG set being used in TOS. I know the engineering is just the TOS set drastically modified to the point you can not even tell it is the same set.