Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the same shot, just so everyone else can get an idea of what we're talking about:

Director's Edition DVD:
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/twok/ch4/twok0226.jpg

Blu-ray:
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/twokhd/twokhd0282.jpg

The colors in the DVD are considerably warmer, and the uniform jackets really pop. The set colors seem colder in the Blu-ray, and the uniform colors more muted.

edit: I agree with you, Donny, at this point stick with the references you've been using. Though i'd be curious to see a render with the warmer filter applied once it's finished.

2. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

After seeing them side-by-side like that, I am of the opinion that the DVD transfer is too far in the red spectrum. That just looks hideous!

3. Donny

I remodeled the chair cushions today, starting from scratch on the sculpt work in Mudbox. This time i went for a flatter, less lumpy feel. I refined the "scallop" fabric seams and changed the color as well, per our discussion on the proper hue.
    [​IMG]

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Much better! I love how you even got the fabric crinkling at the side seams. Your attention to detail continues to be astounding.

5. cardinal biggles

Much, much better! And I wouldn't have noticed the side crinkling, but it's one of those little details that makes this such an authentic re-creation.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I want to take walk through this baby with Occulus Rift!

7. Donny

Glad you guys approve of the chair, as I am much more satisfied with this version.

8. Donny

Chairs finished, complete with the smaller head-rest variant.

Here are some updated screenshots, complete with my new, less intrusive, watermark (I haven't updated my blog since I started these TWOK interiors, but at least people will know where to find me). Notice the helm and nav officers' chairs now have the correctly angled support underneath, and the weapons officer's chair is a tad bit higher than the rest, as it should be, and has a raised footrest platform underneath.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still gotta do the captain's chair control panels. Anyone know of the best references for these controls? The Phase II Enterprise Flight Manual is, in this matter, unfortunately incorrect. I have a handful of fuzzy screencaps, but I didn't know if there are any behind-the-scenes images floating around that anyone may know of.

9. 137th Gebirg

Found this from the wormhole scene from TMP. Not very clear, but at least shows the front half of the left side. I'll keep looking.

Top view

Entering Spacedock

Klingon Bastard

Interestingly, by TVH, the controls seem to have disappeared!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  10. Donny

The right-hand panel disappears sometime in TSFS. I think it's present at the beginning of the movie, but is gone by the time Kirk steals the Enterprise.

I'm at work right now or I'd check ;)

11. spiff628

spiff628 Ensign Red Shirt

Anyone ever notice that at the end of The Voyage Home after Kirk is demoted back to Captain and he's on the Enterprise-A that he is still wearing a jacket with the admiral gold braid even though he is a Captain again!!!

12. cardinal biggles

They might not have been able to remove the gold braid without doing some sort of damage to the costume that would be visible on camera. Or maybe it just wasn't worth the trouble for what is literally the last two minutes of the film.

They did remove the embroidered admiral's braid from his left sleeve, though.

13. Workbee

Workbee Commander Red Shirt

Son of a gun, you're right! I never noticed that before. So maybe the other panel is still there in TVH -- they don't show the other side of the chair in that shot.

I guess that set was slowly falling apart though the years. The floor tiles, the lower floor liner inserts, and now the chair controls. Even had the set not gotten destroyed by weather, it might not have been in great condition to be used for TFF - a full 10 years after it was built (or upgraded from the phase II configuration).

ETA -- Looks like the other arm panel was also gone by TVH. Look at this video at 9-12 seconds. Incidental, this and the part one of the video gives some good views of the TVH set.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  14. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

I actually seem to recall reading a discussion some time back about why that was, but for the life of me I can't remember an ounce of detail from it, much less where I read it.

Also of note, that top down view of Kirk in TMP is actually some sort of reverse/mirror take of the scene. Everything in that screen shot is flipped, but it was apparently known to production, since Kirk's Starfleet emblem is properly located on his apparent left chest (albeit just as flipped as everything else). The buttons seen on the apparent left arm rest are actually the right side's buttons.

15. cardinal biggles

I remember from Lisabeth Shatner's book about the making of TFF that Shatner and Bennett were overjoyed to build a new Bridge set. One of the shortcomings of the P2/TMP set was that each segment was a single unit, with walls attached to the floor, so the constant moving of segments (both in redressing the bridge as Reliant, Grissom & Saratoga and for filming purposes) caused the floors to squeak, which could interfere with audio recording. The new set had a floor that stayed in place, and the wall plugs moved. Also, the actors apparently hated the aluminum armrest/restraints on the chairs.

It's kind of cool and also kind of sad — a last look at those sets before they were reworked for TNG. Seeing the engine room all dark like that kind of gets you where you live. :(

16. Donny

I am wondering if they removed it to use elsewhere in another set? Much like they did with the warp core intermix console for use in the Starfleet security section...I'll have to make another TSTS viewing to see if I can find it hanging on a wall somewhere...

17. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the stunt chair. :lol:
    This shot is from the "12th power" timeframe of the movie. Maybe that will help.

18. 137th Gebirg

Oooh! That's a good one. Missed that in my search...

BTW, you really can see the blue/green hue of the bridge chair covers in the TSFS screen caps, particularly when the bridge is well lit in the beginning "dearest blood" scenes.

19. Donny

Thanks for all the screen grabs thus far. It looks as if the panels are nothing more than simple jeweled buttons with no text, some light up at certain times. I guess these will have to make do, since they seem to be the clearest of all references. Thanks!

20. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ and this was in one of the other TMP image collections at trekcore.