Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

Whoa that is interesting :techman:

2. alchemist

alchemist Captain Captain

Thanks! BTW, lazy and I are good friends, we often have beers together...

BTW, when playing around with the image in Photoshop, I couldn't help but notice that a lot of the parts of this insignia, both used and unused, look like they came from something like this:

[​IMG]

3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Just letting everyone know I'm off to Florida for a few days with my family. Doing the Disney thing. I do have 3 extra vacation days after I get back that I plan on spending working on the project, so hopefully I'll have some new stuff for you guys in about a week. Gonna go ahead and finish up McCoy's office and start on the Medical Lab; I'm missing working on the interiors.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

NO! You MUST NOT! You must be a team player and continue to work on this until it is FINISHED!! BLAAAAAHHH!H!H!H!!!!

Just kidding, bro. Have a great vacation & see you when you come back. :)

5. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, enjoy some time off :)

6. Bernard Guignard

7. 137th Gebirg

Man those look dead-on!

8. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

9. 137th Gebirg

How did they get those chair backings to stay on the main chair body? There doesn't seem to be any easy way to mount them without falling off.

10. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Well, we've found that a hot glue gun solves lots of problems. But the truth is they did come off from time to time. You can see one that got dislodged in "By Any Other Name" during the fight in the Recreation Room between Kirk and Rojan. (It's lying at Kirk's feet (or whatever stunt double is doubling for Kirk.)

[​IMG]

11. Donny

Well, guys. I've returned from vacation at Disney World with three more days before I have to return to work, only to be stricken with severe back pain and the flu (what a fabulous way to spend the remainder of my vacation). Needless to say, I won't be getting any work done on the project until I'm better.

Ugh. I was so looking forward to buckling down any making some progress!

12. 137th Gebirg

Sorry to hear that Donny. Take care of yourself and be well. She ain't going anywhere.

13. Bernard Guignard

Take care Donny an get well soon :techman:

14. blssdwlf

Yes no fun being sick with the flu. Rest and get well!

15. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What nasty combo! Take all the time you need, Trek ain't going anywhere!

16. Donny

Felt better enough today to work on some new stuff.

I went ahead and started on the Medical Lab, as the skulls in McCoy's office were giving me trouble and I was losing momentum due to frustration. I'll have to come back to the skulls and the uniforms I was working on. I was trying to learn too much too fast with the Zbrush program, only ending in frustration and a product I wasn't happy with, so I'm going back to interiors for a while.

Anyway, these are early WIP shots of the med lab, mainly the work area with the console.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the text on the console is conjectural, due to not being able to find any clear shots of much of the text.

For those that don't know, we see this console in a few different places in the series. First at the Tantalus Penal Colony in "Dagger of the Mind": http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x09hd/daggerofthemindhd297.jpg

Next, we see it at Computer Control at Starbase 11 in "The Menagerie": http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x11hd/themenageriepart1hd077.jpg

Then in the Dilithium Control Room onboard the Enterprise in "The Alternative Factor": http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x27hd/thealternativefactorhd331.jpg

And it makes its final stop in the Medical Lab starting in "Operation: Annihilate" and continuing through "Turnabout Intruder": http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x29hd/operationannihilatehd589.jpg
    http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x24hd/turnaboutintruderhd1385.jpg

17. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been intrigued by that standing "array" with the prismatic translucent pieces (at the far right in that "Turnabout Intruder" shot). I endearingly call it the "optic lava lamp".

Now I know TOS rarly (if ever) employed anything akin to a "foreground miniature", but if the production had used that technique, I can imagine them positioning this prop near the camera for an establishing shot in engineering. It does look vaguely like some kind of "intermix" tube...at least to me.

Sincerely,

Bill

18. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

I think it's worth mentioning (although probably ultimately not relevant to Dr. McCoy's Laboratory set), that when we see the lab panel in "Dagger of the Mind," "The Menagerie, Part 1," and "The Alternative Factor," it had a "microphone" extension.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This "microphone" (at least it was used as a microphone in "Dagger...;" who knows what its function was in its other two appearances) was actually a high-intensity lamp that was built into a telescoping antenna for an old Westinghouse radio/lamp combination. The base part of the device was used as a "recorder" in a number of episodes--starting with "The Man Trap." The telescoping light was removed and salvaged, and used as part of the above three sets. Once the panel became part of the lab, this microphone-deal was removed altogether, being replaced with a simple red "ice cube" indicator--which is funny, because that's pretty much what they did to the prop from which it was originally removed.

Here's a "before and after" picture:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  19. Donny

Slowly getting back into the swing of working on the project. Hopefully I'll be at full speed next week.

Here's the work I've done on the lab machinery in the small alcove to the left of the door:
    [​IMG]

To my knowledge, the first appearance of the lower portion of this set piece is "Operation: Annihilate!", seen here:
    http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x29hd/operationannihilatehd706.jpg

And it became a regular part of the medical lab in Seasons 2 and 3. Here's a shot of the thing from "The Lights of Zetar":
    http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x18hd/thelightsofzetarhd1382.jpg

I'm not quite sure of the exact shape of the thing at the top, but a similar one can be seen in the engineering set (upper right portion of the screen):
    http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x09hd/thetholianwebhd1115.jpg

20. blssdwlf

Nice detailing Donny. Hmm, the top thing in the last screen seems to have a flat nose whereas the shading on yours seems more smooth. (It could just be the lighting making it hard to tell in your version though). Keep up the good work!