Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

And the glowing panels on the top of the saucer are too indented. ;)

2. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

You’re correct. I’m gonna admit I was aware of that and was too lazy to change it at the time. And now I’m kicking myself because it’s such an easy fix that I ignored and I just knew someone would notice. ;)

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Cognitive dissonance is a powerful thing. :)

4. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I had no idea it was there until I noticed it on Donny's model last night. I guess I'm one of today's lucky 10,000.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  5. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking good Donny. The only spot I think you should check is the grating frame over the observation windows. The frame edge by the vertical seam near the comm panel in your wip is angled and crosses the seam but in the set version it is vertical and doesn't cross the seam. Depending on how dark your monitor is it could be easy to miss as it is partly in shadow. (Unless this is part of the modification to the windows then nevermind :) ...)

From the looks of it I'm guessing you opted to straighten the room out instead of having it get wider towards the camera?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    lawman likes this.
  6. Donny

Holy crap! You're right! That shadow to me has always read as an angled edge, but now that you've pointed it out, I totally see how it's a vertical edge. Crazy! I'll be sure to correct that tonight. Thanks for pointing that out!

And yes, I straightened the room instead of flaring it out as seen on-screen. Flaring it out would've made for an aft end of the corridor that is insanely wide.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  7. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Yes. You've only begun to discover your power! Join us, and with our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict, and bring order to the franchise!

It is of no concern. Soon the rebellion will be crushed and Alex Kurtzman will be one of us.

8. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's how I work at the office, too! "Don't notice that. Don't notice that. OH! BLAST! You noticed that."

9. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow that is great

10. scifieric

scifieric Captain Captain

Tallguy suggested that I look at this thread, and I'm certainly glad I did! This is AMAZING work!

Donny likes this.
  11. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah the flared out end causes all sorts of problems :ack:

12. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So would it be a lot of work to modify it?

13. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It hadn't occurred to me that every set and model that has to do with the shuttlecraft (hangar, ship, interior, observation deck) introduces continuity problems unseen on the rest of this project. I mean you can argue about what direction the bridge faces (although I would take it as a kindness if you didn't) but when you're "standing" on the set it doesn't matter.

14. Donny

Nah, just gotta change a material parameter. I'm gong to make a video of the Enterprise model soon and will make sure to tighten up a few things before I do.

Yep. The hangar is really an entire complex system that all has to work together seamlessly so I'll have to fudge things here and there to get it all the work. It's going to be fun getting the rest of it in shape. I hope to make some good progress this weekend.

I'm also want to be able for the player to use control panels in the observation "booths" to be able to work things like the turntable/elevator and clamshell doors so that they can launch or retrieve a shuttlecraft.

Also, I've always liked the idea of a cargo bay connected to the hangar deck complex (similar, but not exactly like what we see in TMP), so that's going to have to fit in seamlessly as well. Hell, it almost seems prudent to just model the whole damn interior of the engineering hull at this point.

15. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only way to be sure.

Are you going to try to model any kind of "control tower" or is that what those two aft-most booths are for?

16. Donny

I'm actually thinking about assigning a major function to each of the 4 "control booths". The forward port booth (the one above the fueling station) for, obviously, controlling the fueling station. The forward starboard booth for controlling the turntable/elevator. The aft port booth for controlling the flight deck tractor beam, and the aft starboard booth for controlling the clamshell doors. And then have the middle of the forward segment of the observation deck's "U" shape will be the "main hangar operations control center" from where all these different systems are coordinated.

As far as what many perceive as a control tower on top of the clamshell door exterior, I most likely won't be making this an actual "room", but rather selling it as a sensor placement of some sort, much like @MGagen has in his renderings.

IronWaffle likes this.
  17. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank goodness! There's all sorts of reasons why having it as a habitable room makes zero sense :D

18. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dr. McCoy: "If anyone needs me I'll be in the Angry Dome!"

19. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

Can you elaborate?

20. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A couple of reasons just off the top of my head:

First, there's barely room (in a 947' ship anyway) for a crewman in there, and they would have to access it via a crawlway across the roof of the hangar deck. If the room is actually needed, that's just bad design.

Second, why would a futuristic spaceship need a physical window for someone to look out of at approaching shuttles? Time and again we see the crew of the Enterprise use monitor screens or sensors to track their targets. The observation deck is to view the shuttles landing, not guide them. The notion that a single crewman crammed into a tiny room above a landing deck can offer anything to a shuttle's operations is such an antithesis to the philosophy of TOS that it's not even funny.

Or that's how I see it, anyway :whistle: