Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

TNG "Brothers" had Blue Alert lights on the bridge when Data made the environmental systems fail.

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Y'know, I think they did, yeah. TrekCore shows blue lights prior to separation down in sickbay that are white later, so yes, good eye! Although I don't believe the E-D did when they did a saucer separation.

danellis likes this.
  3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Another thing to consider, is that blue lighting was most likely used not as an in-universe function of the ship or stylistic choice of the captain, but as a real world production design choice to make the Defiant and Exeter look cold and dead. ;)

As to your request for me to experiment with bridge station layout and lighting, I will do so at a later date. I have sooo much to do for this project, and priority is given to those areas not yet complete (sickbay, quarters, phaser control, hangar deck, auxiliary control, mess hall, etc). I tend to work wherever my current energy levels point me to, as this is a passion project that I work on in my free time. I do plan on revisiting the bridge at a later date to update some of the texturing work, so perhaps I will do some experimenting then. Stay tuned.

4. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

She didn't - although I think she was already at red alert whenever we saw the E-D separate: maybe that takes precedence?

dJE

137th Gebirg likes this.
  5. 137th Gebirg

Most likely, yes.

6. Donny

A couple more simple props, the "Flow Distributor" and the "Synchronic Meter"
    [​IMG]
    Reference:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a usable flashlight:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Reference:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Donny

Finally finished up all the engineering tools I wanted to complete before moving on, so here are the final shots.

The first is of the small brown tool box seen in various episodes:
    [​IMG]
    And here's a good reference shot of the tool box, as seen in "The Devil In The Dark":
    [​IMG]

And yes, I even modeled some pliers seen near one of the tool boxes in "The Corbomite Manuever":
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So here's the complete set of engineering tools:

[​IMG]

And a handy info-graphic with all the tools labeled ;)
    [​IMG]

Now, I've got to model a place where these tools are stored and retrieved from. I was gonna ask you guys your thoughts. Would they be best stored in pull-out drawers mounted into a bulkhead, or do you think I should design more of a mobile tool chest? I've got a little corner of engineering to fill out (the wall below the Emergency Manual Monitor window and the corner near the office) and I was thinking of storing them there. The other option would be to model a room where tons of engineering tools are stored and maintained, but that will take more time, and more design work. I'm quite ready to move on from Engineering for the time being so I can tackle other important areas of the ship. Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  8. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

Without wanting to trigger any depression(!), do you have any idea where you might be percentage-wise?

I want to say "incredible work, Donny," but I'm not sure you're capable of anything else!!

As for storage, I'm not aware of any on-screen reason to think support this, but I've always had a soft-spot for the sort of wheeled metal tray cabinets one sees in garages (and the A-Team!). Logically this would be relatively mobile within Engineering and its environs.

dJE

scifieric likes this.
  9. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Would it be wheeled, or should it have some kind of anti-grav unit on the bottom?

10. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

11. 137th Gebirg

I was halfway expecting to see a sonic screwdriver buried in there somewhere. :D

GNDN18 and Sibyl like this.
  12. RedForman

RedForman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fantastic as always. Can't wait to see which area you do next :beer:

13. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Regardless of which area you do next, I'm really looking forward to seeing your take on the hangar deck someday.

14. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

My first inclination would that there'd be handleboxes and toolchests for repairs around the ship, with racks and hangers in places like Engineering and the Shuttlebay where tools are required all the time. But then I'm thinking about the fact that in Star Trek, ships have all sorts of random gear built into cubbies in the walls. If you can pull a hypospray and tricorder out of a box in the corridor, or the kitchen has a rack of phasers in it, I don't see why there wouldn't also be hidden compartments throughout the ship's corridors and rooms with tools in them, at least the most common multi-purpose ones.

John Sinclair, danellis and lawman like this.
  15. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Season 4 of TOS (if it existed) could have used these carts, which have shown up in the TOS movies, TNG, and most recently Discovery:
    [​IMG]
    It didn't though, which means it probably won't be part of this project.

16. Donny

They first show up in the movie era. We see the cart near the woman at the desk (with blankets and the Phase II monitors attached on top) in the sickbay ward in TWOK (don't ask me how I recognized the thing only partially visible and buried under blankets), We also see the top of the cart in the Transporter Room in TMP. Check out the shots below:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've actually already modeled the thing:
    [​IMG]

HOWEVER, the piece in question is a little too sleek for TOS, IMHO. And the product wasn't launched until 1970 (factcheck here: http://www.b-line.it/en/prodotti/boby/), and would go against my guideline of not using any real-world products in my TOS build that weren't around in the late 60s. I could, however, create a bigger, bulkier, more-in-line-with-TOS version for use in engineering.

17. STRenegade

STRenegade Commander Red Shirt

18. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

Donny likes this.
  19. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always had a soft spot for double cantelevered toolboxes. They are very '60s, but maybe not futuristic enough.

20. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the tools actually in Engineering, that cabinet we see Scotty pull the Trident scanner out of in DDM (among other episodes) is big enough to hold drawers with the rest of the tools in it, and probably a lot more. Scotty probably has a clip on the wall of the cabinet to hold the scanner, for neatness' sake, though.