Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Yeah it may be with volume and tuning dials.

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Good guess! It was a lamp/radio combo originally. Probably old news to many here, but I can't recommend this thread and @GSchnitzer's posts in it enough. He seems to be one of the leading authorities on TOS props. Give it a read, it's full of images and information about the most obscure TOS props you can imagine. Here's his post about the recorder/task monitor.

Psion and CorporalCaptain like this.
  3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Yup! Greg's Flickr page is a treasure trove of obscure TOS prop research. I use it often!

Michael likes this.
  4. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nevermind, lol

5. Donny

??

6. MGagen

MGagen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Too bad Photobucket's latest actions have rendered that thread nearly worthless...

7. MGagen

MGagen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do you have a link to Greg's Flickr page?

8. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Really? Sure, there are a lot of missing images, but all of @GSchnitzer's posts seem to be intact. At least I can see them.

9. Donny

And all three scanners now finished!

[​IMG]

10. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I kind of thought so, too. My great-grandfather had an old AM/Weather band radio that had a similar profile, though it didn't have the attached lamp.

11. STRenegade

STRenegade Commander Red Shirt

Do they combine to make a lightsaber? :P

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Right, the pair of dials in that configuration was the giveaway.

13. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

Nice!

I'm a little disappointed that the medical scanner that comes with the Medical Tricorder is thumbwheel operated. I was hoping it would be motorized.

I know you're using Substance, but where are you getting your images for your materials (like the pebbled texture--is it a noise map?)? Are you scanning them, yourself?

14. Donny

Substance comes with a plethora of procedural grunge/noise maps. I rely heavily on their smart materials and base materials, and I've downloaded quite a few base textures from Substance Source, but almost everything I use I end up tweaking heavily to fit my needs. I'm so well rounded in the program now that the process has become very natural to me, and I also save off my own custom smart materials so I can use them on different models. I have no scanning capability, so no. I definitely do not scan textures.

But to answer your question, yes, the grip on the middle scanner is a simple perlin noise generator applied to the height channel.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Sibyl likes this.
  15. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure I read somewhere (Inside Star Trek: The Real Story, I think) that the motor was so loud that they had to redub lines upon occasion!

Sibyl likes this.
  16. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know this is a real time render, and this is the first time in pages and pages of art that I've thought this, but something is not tying the scanners and table together, light-wise.

OTOH, those scanners are gorgeous. There are definite gaps in my ridiculous knowledge of Trek-lore and these scanners are some of them.

BTW, Donny, I thought of you more than a couple of times watching TWOK at the theater yesterday. Especially in sick bay.

aridas sofia likes this.
  17. Donny

Yes, you're correct. I did a "quick & dirty" lighting build for the last few screenshots, as I'm inpatient with lighting builds these days. So the shadows technically aren't very accurate and will make objects appear to be floating. I apologize for my sloppiness. ;)

I went and saw it as well. Made me want to jump back in to my TWOK sets and finish/polish them a bit. But alas, I'm so gung ho about TOS stuff right now that I've got to ride that as much as possible. Starting on the shuttlecraft today! Something new!

18. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That should be fun; so many choices on scale! ;)

19. Noah_23

Noah_23 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Been keeping up with this thread for a while, Gotta say, some of the best refit interiors I've seen. Keep up the great work!

Donny likes this.
  20. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shuttle bays in any era are welcome! I'd love to see you do the same TWOK-ification of the TMP hangar that you did on the officer's lounge. But I also adore the TOS hangar as well.

Galileo7 likes this.