Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

I'm curious to see their deck plans, but came across the cross-section on their site:
    http://gambitrealm.com/files/uploads/gambitrealm-files/1701CuttawayLg.jpg

2. GambitRealm

GambitRealm Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi all, it's Paul from Gambit Realm... Nice to see feedback here, positive and negative, all constructive... Thank you.

Beautiful renderings Donny... As someone suggested above, we have always been willing to collaborate with anyone who wants to help with the project... Replacing our artwork with something like Donny's or Havoc's work is totally possible and we would love any suggestions and artwork that people can offer. The game cannot be sold, so why not all work together since we each have unique talents in this area... There are many of these projects on the go, but we are the first to get it to work in an engine to the point where we have AI and clickable objects and flyable craft, etc. But others art much better quality in terms of artwork. Combining the two would be awe-inspiring indeed :)

So, given that I'm here, anyone have any questions?

Cheers!

3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

@GambitRealm:

I hope no offense was taken! I'm just a sucker for visual accuracy.

I will be downloading the project upon release, and have had the idea of building a team of people to help with the things I'm not so good at, like scripting and character models. So, what has been proposed is an interesting idea indeed.

@GSchnitzer:

I ended up taking color samples from the actual photograph of the cards instead of the color chart you provided. The colors from the color chart proved to be too over-saturated once implemented in-game.

4. GambitRealm

GambitRealm Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

its all good :) all feedback is useful, and in the spirit of Trek all of us are in this together...

anyhow, let's all stay in touch and maybe we can work together to build something even greater than what any of us could achieve on our own.

live long and prosper!

P

5. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Thank You very much! But I think you had blssdwlf in mind (Thermian approach) while Havoc 92 is doing Franz Joseph's version, if I'm not mistaken.

When I started my deck plan drafts where accuracy and onscreen-compatibility is the "Prime Directive" this is exactly what I had in mind in the long run. ;)
    I've been disappointed once (FJ) and to ensure I won't be disappointed again, I felt I needed at least to provide an alternative...

Bob

6. Donny

Here's a very very early shot of the sickbay examination room. Need opinion on the color of the walls. I took a color sample from The Enterprise Incident's scene where Kirk undergoes plastic surgery. In this episode, the walls appear a high-key, low saturation blue-green-grey. However, in Turnabout Intruder, the walls are noticeably tinted a little more on the green end of the spectrum, probably due to lighting or film processing. I prefer the former. Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

7. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Looking at the Turnabout Intruder screencaps, I'd definitely say it's the lighting (probably meant to simulate nighttime conditions). Pretty sure you've got the color sample right.

8. Donny

Thank you. It also doesn't help that my second monitor, which I use to display reference shots while I work, displays colors slightly cooler/bluer than my main monitor. Which is why I try to remember to take color samples directly from blu-ray screencaps now, instead of eyeballing it.

9. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

It's a few years old (since Phase II has been at this for about a decade now), but you'll find a little write-up I did about the color of Sick Bay over at our Phase II forum:

http://forums.startreknewvoyages.com/index.php?topic=5543.0

FWIW, there's s photo of a paint can of our Sick Bay paint on my Flickr page. I'm on the road with just a cell phone , and although it should be easy enough to find, I'll post the picture on this thread when I get a chance.

Edit:

Although Donny beat me to it below, here's that paint we use on our Sick Bay set--not only over on the INT. SICK BAY EXAMINATION ROOM side, but over on the INT. SICK BAY WARD ROOM side, too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  10. Donny

This one?

[​IMG]
    Sickbay Paint by gregory_schnitzer, on Flickr

Thanks for that, Greg. Actually, I did a little test. I took a color sample from the image you provided above, and it happens to be a near-perfect match of the hue of the sample I took from Enterprise Incident. I did, however, have to modify the light value and the saturation of the color to get it to come out right in-game. Color matching from reference to game is a science that I'm having to learn as I go.

11. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I assume it's the wide lens you're using, but Sickbay looks smaller than I remember...

12. Donny

Yes, it's the "wide lens". For the screenshot above, I had the field of view set at 90 degrees (typical for widescreen gaming), instead of 60 degrees (closer to a standard television camera lens, if I'm correct). I sometimes forget to make the switch when taking screencaps.

I built the room on top of the Journey to Babel stage 9 schematic, so it should be accurate.

13. Robert Comsol

The first moment I saw the new sickbay rendering I got confused for a moment. Because the two chairs below the wall shelf told me "Season One set", but then I noticed the intercom panel (definitely Season Three) and that some items hadn't been there yet.

The two chairs below the wall shelf without a table in between would be a clear Season One trademark, but I presume the table is on the list of items that are still being added?

Bob

14. Donny

Ha. Yes, I added the 2 chairs temotarily. Just to give a sense of scale for these early screenshots. I will replace them with the table and single chair shortly.

I have much to add, I just wanted to get this early shot up to get an opinion on the wall color.

15. kennysmith

kennysmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

to donny i like to know if you can make a video of the room you just worked on?. if you can i would like talk with you pvt. please about what you are doing ok.

16. Donny

Finally got around to getting some work done today. The last 5 days or so were consumed by real-life work. Anyway, here's how the exam bed and exercise bed are coming along.

Still tweaking lighting, but I'm starting to like it. A very Season 3 feel to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Looking good! Did the rotating exam bed lack the clear-ribbed-spike sensor doohicky that the other beds had? I always assumed that was the antenna that fed information to the wall monitors, and that each monitor had one... but I may well be remembering it wrong...

--Alex

18. Donny

Yes, the exam bed lacked the sensor thingy, as shown in this screencap from The Enterprise Incident.

19. Donny

Two more shots before I go to bed....

Knocked out the status panel you see below and added the GNDN alcove. Special thanks to feek61 for lending me his blink pattern reference materials for the status panel.
    [​IMG]

And here's a closeup of the vitals display panel. Thanks to blu-ray caps, I was able to recreate (from scratch) this graphic to 100% accuracy. (note the small switch at the bottom left of the hood, which I first noticed today while viewing reference materials. Check out this screencap from The Man Trap)
    [​IMG]

20. Robert Comsol

Great work! (as usual I'm temped to add ;))

Just a few things I wonder about:
    • In the first rendering (with the sickbay back wall) the panel (did they remove the whole wall panel from the Season One corridor?) in the side booth looks like it should be closer to the adjacent main corridor (looks like you fixed that in your latest post).
    • You went for the sickbay appearance from "The Enterprise Incident". Did you favor this one because part of the "new" panel in "Turnabout Intruder" was covered by the 'medical crane'? (I wouldn't be surprised if feek61has already identified the item in other episodes)
    • Is there a particular reason you omitted the 'medical crane' (introduced to the set in Season Two) and preferred the intercom panel instead?
    Bob

P.S. I wonder if Shatner's white "body height booster" should also reflect in such renderings. :D