DOLLHOUSE 2x11-Getting Closer Review,Commentary,Grade,SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jan 8, 2010.

?

How do you grade Dollhouse ep2x11: Getting Closer

Poll closed Jul 27, 2010.
  1. EXCELLENT

45 vote(s)
    76.3%
  2. ABOVE AVERAGE

11 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. AVERAGE

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. BELOW AVERAGE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. POOR

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

[LEFT][LEFT][​IMG]

[LEFT][​IMG]
    [LEFT][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/LEFT]
    [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Welcome back to the Dollhouse my fellow BBS'ers. The countdown is on to the final three episodes of the series. We are back to regular one hour installments so combined with getting back-to-back episodes in Dec and the layoff we are no doubt going to feel shorted. Alas, in three weeks we'll be shorted for good.:([/LEFT]

[LEFT]Till then lets enjoy these last few episodes. The episodes in December were strong and Joss&Co. appear to once again be giving us a good send off, even if it is 3yrs too early.[/LEFT]
    [/LEFT]
    [/LEFT]

2. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad to have the show back. I'm slightly annoyed that only one episode will air tonight (Those double airings spoiled me). And I'm sorry the show is on its way out the door. Looking forward to both Amy Acker's and Summer Glau's appearances.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Just a reminder in case its overlooked in the OP, Dollhouse has been pushed back an hour from its original time slot so allow for that on your DVR or planning.

4. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ That explains why I came here expecting to find the forum a'chattering only to be met with silence.

Fair number of surprises in this one, including a big reveal. I guessed it about a minute beforehand, but it was still pretty awesome, and casts much of the series in a very different light. Combined with edge-of-your-seat pacing and some fun character moments, it's good to see Dollhouse is going out with a bang.

(EDIT: And in case someone is wondering, my local affiliate played it at 8:00)

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

5. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So is Epitaph One being retconned as some kind of extremely elaborate prediction by the Rossum mainframe "attic consciousness"?

or not... since that scene with Boyd and Dr. Saunders was straight out of epitaph one.

and didn't see that one coming...:wtf:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  6. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

BOYD!!!

WTF? I thought what happened to Bennett was shocking but I didn't see the Boyd reveal coming.

Excellent episode. A lot of fun with all the characters coming back and with the gang being all here. The idea that Echo was a terrorist of sorts it fascinating. Some funny lines and Topher's reaction at the end was great.

BTW...can you get much better than Amy Acker and Summer Glau sharing a scene?

7. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

OH. MY. GOD.
    OH. MY. GOD.
    OH. MY. GOD.

This season of Dollhouse is EPIC!

The moment Saunders was alone with Benett, I had a feeling she was going to kill her. But the twist involving Boyd I did not see coming. So Boyd and Saunders are working together. But the question is, working towards what?

Benett's death seems to be one of many tragedies that will trigger Topher's descent into maddness.

I'll miss Topher and Benett's geek love and my heart breaked for him when he told his assistant not to be like him.

I'm sad about Echo and Ballard and the removal of their connection.

I can't wait to see what happens next.

And I think the series finale will follow-up on Epitaph One. No alternate future. No cheap retcon.

8. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Maybe a little bit of both. If Epitaph One took place in the Attic, it's possible some of the flashbacks were real, and some were... less so (like the one with Ballard and Actualized!Echo going out on an engagement, which was a little different and creepy when we saw it in-context). I noticed they stuck Dominic right back in the Attic after it seemed like they were going to have to completely lose the "Three buttons are back/I saw a guy being a pretty princess" scene, meaning it still might happen.

We really are getting the cliffs-notes version of the show. I like the frantic pacing of it, but having had a taste of how things were going to go initially, it seems like it would've been more interesting and epic if it the series had the opportunity to take the more gradual approach suggested by Epitaph One.

9. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope.

10. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Echo Terrorist...Eco Terrorist...*groan* (Okay, she wasn't committing eco terrorism, so it's not that bad.)

Everybody is a Cylon!

11. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

Joss said the flashacks and the future as seen in Epitaph One is what happens, but the memories might not be exact. I love this episode and in other ways...I wonder if I do, because of the death of Bennett and who did it...bah. I figured Boyd out when he touched her and the flashbacks started up again. The episode was great but in other ways a character was ruined for me...hmmp...still good, though...yeah.

BTW? Where are you getting the pictures, I saw a couple in there I haven't seen...

12. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it really felt epic. Even though they have to rush through it.

It's probably for the best that Ballard doesn't love Echo anymore. It never exactly brought out the best in him.

Topher completely rocked that post-Bennett scenes. Loved that bit too with the Doll that had just arrived last Tuesday.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Wow. Really, really, excellent episode. With two absolutely amazing plot twists. I loudly shouted "NO WAY!!!" when her head went poof. And while I suspected the mysterious villain was going to be a pre-existing character, I never in a million years suspected it would be THAT person! Well done! It's funny how it's the third to last episode yet it was the final gonna-die scenario for them. Excellent!

14. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Bullet in the brainpan! SQUISH! :evil:

You know, I always thought there was something odd about Boyd. Now we know why!

15. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I just want to say I really liked the gag where DeWitt poked her head in the medical room and told Topher to see her once Dr. Saunders was done with him, left, and then doubled back for her, "Where the fuck did you come from?" moment. That actually does play well with the sped-up pace of the arc; these people really have not had the chance to adapt to the a status quo.

I always assumed he was some kind of cop or something and was forced out of his job. That impression was altered in the Sierra episode, when we found out he had a guy who hid dead bodies on speed-dial. Of course, cut-throat neuroscientist isn't a much better fit for that factoid than "cop" was. Maybe he's a composite, too.

16. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

I liked the scene where Caroline found out about Bennett and her genius, and quoted her saying, "I can kill you with my brain." :D

17. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

I'm still reeling in from this episode, and wish we didn't have to wait another week for the second part.

Boyd's line of being very tall (in a conversation with Claire Saunders) holds a new light now, doesn't it? Makes me wonder just what the hell is goal is here.

18. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

WHOA!! I was half paying attention with the scene with Saunders and Bennet and then I decided to stop what I was doing and watch because it seemed really heartwarming. That was about three seconds before Summer's head went boom. I screamed like a little girl in shock. Dang it I let my guard down. I can't do that on a Joss show. Happy=dead.

19. omegaone

omegaone Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Really liked what I saw, grr why do shows allways get cancelled when they get good :scream: at least its getting a proper ending.

20. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

WTF JUST HAPPENED?!?!?!

Seriously, that was the first time since Adama getting shot at the end of S1 of BSG that I screamed at the TV. Just...wow.