Poll Does the Discovery look good?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by uniderth, Jul 24, 2016.

?

Does the Discovery look good?

1. Yes. It's gorgeous!

94 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. No. I find it slightly unappealing.

137 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

What do you think about the Discovery?

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I vote no. But then how much is final product going to actually look like the demo?

3. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It looks good, but I would not call it gorgeous.

4. Pure Antiproton

Pure Antiproton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Was hoping for an elegant design to take us forward to the future like the 1701-D did. But good to see another ship of the line roll out. Cautiously optimistic.

5. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This. I love it. I think it is the next logical step from an NX class, if this is set in a post ENT\Pre Abramsverse era. I think they did an awesome job. I also love the fact it is a Macquarrie design.

But I wouldn't call it gorgeous. But since this was a binary yes/no answer, I chose the positive one.

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just going off of the test CG we've seen of the model, and keeping in mind that there will be changes ahead, my answer is no. My first impression is that it is ugly, ungainly, and ill-fitting. This opinion could absolutely change with the next revision. It also doesn't change that I plan on seeing the TV series. Regardless, the initial answer is "No."

Blip and Rahul like this.
  7. -SS-

-SS- Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm in-between. I don't find the design particularly attractive, but I do like the overall aesthetic of it. It's not flashy or dramatic; it's functional and utilitarian looking, but still relatively smooth, clean, not overly-greebly. Much like the original Enterprise.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hardly a neutral yes/no poll. :lol:

I'm voting yea.

10. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is not 'slightly' unappealing. It is hideous. They somehow managed to design a ship which is uglier than 'Vengeance', which is an impressive achievement.

PhotoBoy, mos6507, mswood and 4 others like this.
  11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I voted no, but I wish there was like 2 more options. I don't think it looks that bad, but I can't wait to see the final product. Now, it looks slightly too big and bulky.

Even though I just saw a joke on facebook where it was like a merging of the Enterprise and a Klingon Battlecruiser and I got a chuckle out of it.

12. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    The wording used makes it a rather unfairly weighted poll against the design, yet it's still coming out about even (slightly ahead, actually) thus far! :lol:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  13. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I voted in the ship's favor because the two choices were poorly phrased and inadequate. I'd say that the concept appeals quite a lot, but needs refinement.

14. mdtauk

mdtauk Captain Captain

I'm not a fan of these angular and "industrial" styled starships. This ship, the USS Vengeance, etc.

I feel like the shapes are too geometric and it feels simple and slapped together. No elegance, no sweeping curves. I guess as with all things, it comes down to a matter of taste.

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I voted "yes," but then I think the Millennium Falcon also looks good. To me, I think the Discovery has lot of character to it, she may not be as flashy as other Star Trek ships, but that may be because she's a workhorse design.

16. uniderth

Bwahahaha.

17. Andru

Andru Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was shocked when first seeing the Discovery, both because of the connection to a known half-canonical design that I never expected to be revisited, and because it dares bucking the Federation starship design trends followed in the last 30 years or so.

The only thing that could have shocked me as much is the selection of a pure Franz Joseph design, but this Discovery is way more subversive. It looks primitive yet powerful, different but familiar. I sincerely hope that in the iterative process leading to a final model the brutish essence and the rough edges of this test model aren't diluted too much. This ship is badass!

NOVE9, Cyfa and Philip Guyott like this.
  18. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    You phrased it such that there are only a strongly positive and a mildly negative option, thus those on the neutral side without a strong opinion will be drawn to the negative option. Nice try, but it's still not giving you the result you wanted, is it?

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I voted "Yes", but like many others, don't agree with the unnecessary conditional phrasing of the choices.

20. uniderth

No, I wasn't looking for any particular result. I just wanted to see people reaction to the obviously biased choices.