Does Chewbacca have a "rank?"

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by marillion, Jul 13, 2018.

1. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I hate to start a thread just for this, but I didn't see another appropriate place...

Has Chewie ever held a rank? Doesn't it seem weird that Han and Lando were both made generals in the rebellion, but Chewie was just, well, Chewie? He didn't even get a medal at the end of ANH.

I've never really delved into the EU, but does anyone know if it was addressed there?

It only seems right that he be given a rank in a show of appreciation for his fighting and leadership.

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Sure

Wahhhooooorrrggrrkkkkklllllooooggg.

3. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

The rebel's anti-wookiee agenda is well known...

Jayson1 likes this.
  4. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Which is Shyriiwook as "First Mate." Or something.

(And yes, I had to look up "Shyriiwook.")

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  5. Steven P Bastien

Steven P Bastien Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3 steps ahead of where I was 2 seconds ago
    I tried to look for a rank insignia in the final "wizard-of-oz-like medal scene" but since I loaded the 4:3 aspect version by accident, I can't really answer the question. ... you know why.

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Grand Muff Chewbacca ;)

No, not that. The furry hand warmer, you pervs. No wait, phrasing... The thing women used to put their hands in to feel better. Nailed it.

There's no mention in any canon or old EU/Legends sources of Chewbacca holding a rank. He may have held a Wookiee rank since he served in the King's Guard and in the Kashyyyk resistance to the Separatist invasion, but no rank is stated.

As to why he doesn't have a rank in the Rebel Alliance military, taking one might have required him to leave Han's side and thus violate his Life Debt, so he may have turned down any offers.

Or Wookiees may have some kind of cultural or religious objection to swearing an oath to an outside organization.

Or the Rebel Alliance may discriminate against Wookiees (still bitter about that medal ;)), but that seems unlikely given the status of other high-ranking non-humans and the egalitarian goals of the organization.

In fact, if he refused to swear an oath to the Alliance, that may be the reason he wasn't given the medal.

Once Han rose in the Rebel ranks, I guess Chewiee would officially be considered his adjutant or aide-de-camp of sorts.

But regardless, if he orders anyone around, who's going to refuse?

Ar-Pharazon and CorporalCaptain like this.
  7. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ahem. I direct you to Adywan's 'Star Wars Revisited.' Hell if Chewie doesn't get his medal!

PhotoBoy and marillion like this.
  8. doylem1

doylem1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Isn't Wookie very hard in universe to understand ? and thus giving him a command rank where his soldiers have no idea what orders he's barking would cause a serious problem. Maybe that's why ?

9. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In my Star Wars headcanon, those aren't medals that Han and Luke receive, they are commissions as officers in the Rebel Fleet. Which is why they have ranks in ESB.

10. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

"The Mighty Chewbacca" - seriously,do you want to upset him?
    He might have a Wookiee rank from his days in the Clone Wars, but the wookiee seems fairly humble and most comfortable being simply "First Mate" under Han Solo.

Chewie got his medal after the main ceremony because Leia's so short that she hat to stand on a table to put it over his head in a reasonable manner (covered in the comics). Both he and Han were already trying to figure out if they could sell them.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I always find it curious why some (licenced material writers included) keep revisiting this as if it's some oversight, when Lucas gave his reasoning back in '77: Wookiees are not materialistic and don't put any stock in medals. Leia didn't leave him out, she was respecting his culture. You'd think someone would have bothered to look it up by now.

Ridcully, Mr. Laser Beam and Jinn like this.
  12. Jinn

Oh, that's really cool. I wish they had put it in the movie, though, but I can understand that such exposition might have felt out of place.

13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chewie was reconnected to have been given a medal in the new canon, in one of the comics (or was it a novel?) it was too small to fit over his head so he was holding it in his hand.

14. Jinn

I liked the previous reason that I only learned about hours ago more :(

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

For the sake of clarity, this is what Lucas said back in '77. It's part of a larger document that was sent out to licencees that gave background information on the various character and lore.
    [​IMG]
    It should be noted however that this was pretty much all dictated off the top of his head and for some of it at least may have been the first time he'd thought about it in any detail. But from this and things Dave Filloni has said about the Wookiee/Bad Batch episodes of The Clone Wars that they had in the pipeline when they were cancelled, it seems Lucas put a lot of thought into Wookiee lore.
    In earlier drafts of the script, the final space battle is flown by Wookiee pilots. Indeed, it seems that whole section of the script seems to have been recycled (conceptually, at least) in RotJ with Endor and the Ewoks. Making the pirate ship's first mate a Wookiee was something he decided later on because in his (paraphrased) words "I just had to get a Wookiee in there somewhere!"
    So yeah, Lucas: big Wookiee fan. Did not discriminate against Chewbacca. Quite the opposite.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Jinn likes this.
  16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't forget this honour, after he died in the EU.

[​IMG]

Kevman7987, Awesome Possum and Jinn like this.
  17. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chewbacca won't get a rank until he puts some damn pants on.

Jinn likes this.
  18. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think Wookies like wearing pants. At least his junk isn't showing.

19. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

I wonder what a Wookiee would look like if xe kept xyr hair trim (~1") or shaved and then wore humanoid clothing. A Wookiee could even have L.A.S.E.R. hair removal or be covered in scar tissue. Just because we've only seen shaggy Wookiees (AFAIK), it is a big galaxy....

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only when they're wet.