Doctor Who: The Edge Of Time VR

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by The Lensman, Nov 28, 2019.

1. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Didn't see a thread for this, so thought I'd start one. Didn't even know this game was being made or that it was released, just happened to be in the Playstation Store and saw it. Looks pretty damn awesome to me!

I have to say, just getting to walk around the outside of the Tardis then enter it seamlessly is a huge selling point for this fan.
    You also get to pilot the Tardis to different times / places, use the sonic screwdriver, and encounter the Weeping Angels, and generally just have the Doctor Who experience in VR.

Definitely picking this up as VR is my preferred method of play these days, though not a lot of top tier games for it. The thing that most impresses me about VR isn't that you can look up or down, and behind you.....it's that the game world is at it's proper scale. You don't realize just how much you're not experiencing this until you play VR, especially a game that you played in non-VR, like Skyrim. Walking under an arch or column in non-VR, you don't even register it, in VR, at it's proper scale.....it's more impressive.

So to get to walk up to the Tardis in it's proper scale and then experience the whole "bigger on the inside" effect is the thing I'm looking forward to the most. Also getting to fly it, and exit it into a new and different environment. Weeping Angels in VR? Hell yes!

2. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

It is ok, nothing great, very short, i completed it in just under 2 hours and i was looking at everything, but it does the whole walking out of the Tardis very well on the three locations that you visit, i would love modders to mod it to some kind of procedural generator of planets that you could fly the Tardis to, that would be great.

The Lensman likes this.
  3. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Touch controls are buggy as heck on the Quest - grabbing the right doodad on the TARDIS console is really annoying and worse there's a time limit on running the right sequence. I lucked my way through the first step but keep failing the second. Hoping for a patch to improve the accuracy of the grabbing soon (or remove the time limit).

4. matthunter

I gave it another go today and using the standing position seemed to help a bit - still took a couple of attempts but I got the TARDIS moving and onto the first planet. Very spooky walking through the forest being stalked by aliens. Now into the crashed ship and trying to open the bridge door with the "reflect the lasers with mirrors" puzzle.

5. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

This is why i have stuck with external tracking vr headsets, it is almost perfect so you don't suffer from these types of issues with the cameras not picking up or losing the controllers tracking.
    I liked that puzzle with the laser beams, and i sort of figured it out by accident. Lol

6. matthunter

I don't think it was the tracking - forgot to say I was standing but hadn't told the game I wasn't still seated, so it put the console lower down relative to my FOV. Being able to view the controls from a higher angle spread them out more and the controller was able to recognize with one I was going for more easily.