Do you miss the original crew?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Ghost, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Ghost

Ghost Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hello all,

Probably a stupid question, especially on this forum, but I wanted to bring it up as I have been thinking about this a lot lately.

I was not raised on the original series, TNG man all the way, but I did watch the movies with the original cast and later also watched the original series when it was aired more than almost two decades ago on BBC2 (back when the BBC actually aired sci fi shows) during which I developed an appreciation for the characters.

Something that books and comics helped to increase as I started to read those. (and computer games like Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites)

But as with a lot of 'old' Star Trek I have come to miss these characters and it definitely doesn't help when I keep watching this scene over and over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUPK2tTx0tc

Fortunate they still have a lot of adventures in those mentioned medias but I am still kind of sad that this era is 'over'.

Do others here miss them?

2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Not really. The new actors are doing a good job with the characters.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I do, of course. I'm not sure we'll ever see the chemistry that Shatner, Nimoy and Kelly had again in a Star Trek production. But, on the other hand, when one era ends another starts. I'm quite happy with the films and the actors we now have.

4. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I was raised on TOS, and while I do miss them, I have to echo what has been said here so far; I think the new guys are doing a terrific job of carrying the torch onward and upward.

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I have the blurays of the show, and although I miss the ones who have passed on, the surviving cast are only a few clicks away on twitter still entertaining the world.

If you mean new adventures, the current cast are coming out with a new movie next year.

6. Ghost

With 'new adventures' I meant more books and comics involving the characters played by the original actors.

I am not really a fan of the new cast and it is honestly not because I am not open to new interpretations of Star Trek.
    Just a matter of personal taste.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I still read those as well. Especially, anything by Greg Cox or Dayton Ward.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Well I suppose Spock's lectures on diversity and Kirk's openness to fresh ideas aren't for everyone.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

An excellent strategy! Thanks!

10. Ghost

Am I insulting you for liking the new cast and the movies?

So far I don't think so. I thought I came over rather polite by saying that it is not really my thing.

11. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I get it. The new cast isn't everyone's cup of tea (insert Jean Luc Picard joke here). It's always tricky to have new actors for well-established characters. Sometimes it works (the new Batman movies), and sometimes it doesn't (Fantastic Four).

I love the movies, and did the first time I saw them in the theater. Some people had to give it lots of time before they came around. Others still don't like them. That said, maybe you'll like the third one? :)

12. Ghost

Who knows J. Allen, perhaps I will be interested when I read the movie description, and perhaps I won't. We'll see by the time it comes out.
    Oh, and thanks.

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

No problem. I always try to keep in mind that there are Trek movies I love that people hate (Star Trek V, for one), and there are Trek movies people love that I don't like nearly as much (Star Trek II, for example).

We like Star Trek. It's our common connection. Everyone is as real a fan as they want to be, regardless of what or why they like it.

This is true, too. Even if they never return (which is likely, considering some have the current status of "dead"), their many adventures are a DVD, blu-ray, or mouseclick away.

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Yes, I miss the original crew... but only because my aim is bad. ;)

15. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Yes. It's sad that so many of the original cast have died. But as you say, there are more adventures in other media. I prefer Greg Cox's novels and the various fanfic series I've been following.

16. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't necessarily miss the old crew because we have had all the spin offs since Star Trek IV. I think had they skipped Star Trek V, and went straight to VI and done a better job of it, that would have been a fitting end. The TOS crew had their day and the longest run, if not in screen time, then in length of time....if you count guest appearances in the spin offs and for Nimoy, the reboots. So, I don't miss the TOS crew, because they never went away in a sense. Star Trek evolved with the first 3 spin offs, and as far as I am concerned, sort of took a step back with ENT, then the reboot movies.

It was easier for me to accept new crews, than recasting the TOS crew, because at least with a new crew, you aren't tempted to compare the original actor and the new actor's performance regarding the same character. I do have a bit of trouble accepting the new cast as the TOS crew, and, it's not that the new actors are doing a bad job, because I can accept a recast of the TOS crew, at this point. But there hasn't been enough movies for me to feel like Pine IS Kirk, or Quinto IS Spock, etc, etc, the same way I feel Shatner IS Kirk and Nimoy IS Spock. I mean, we only have 2 movies out, and a third on the way, each movie the screen time of 2 part episodes. Not to mention that I liked only one of the two movies out. I still almost feel like the current cast is simply standing in for the original cast, rather than having taken on the mantles themselves.

17. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I miss them, but I'm grateful that I have the dvds of the 3 seasons and the animated dvds.

At least I've got Vic Mignogna to be Captain Kirk for a few extra episodes. He's the only the third actor that I accept as Kirk, besides William Shatner and Sandra Smith, of course.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yes, I do miss them. They created those characters and gave them life for us.

In books and such it's not hard to "see" and "hear" them again so that's one way to revisit them again. And certain fan productions give us something of an echo where it's not hard imagining the oroginal cast in place with those stories.

I'm one of those unimpressed with the current feature film cast. Maybe if they were written and directed differently, but as is the way the characters are interpreted turns me off completely.

I hope one day we might see a new production that does the original characters justice and makes them feel "alive" again--preferably on television. Or even a wholly new Trek that's truly engaging again.

We can never really replace the original cast, but hopefully it can be good again someday.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I have all 3 seasons on dvd, watch several episodes every week, so don't miss the original crew. I do miss the actors we've lost though, having spoken with a few. DeForest Kelley and I were both preacher's kids, his background inspired me to get into dramatics during high school and college, and I got a chance to tell him so.

20. telerites

telerites Commander Red Shirt

If I could have only the TOS crew/actors, I would be happy and never miss any other version/actors at all. I'd even take the TOS archaic (now) special effects and props.

Nothing has ever come close for me. The TAS would be second if I had to choose another but for the most part TOS actors portrayed their characters so not a stretch.