Do you correct memes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Someone I know in real life posted this meme

[​IMG]

and I pointed out to her that the wedge tailed eagle and the bald eagle were of a similar size. I don’t think that she liked me correcting it because she replied it was a ‘jest meme’. She often posts all sorts of incorrect stuff, not just memes, and seems to be incapable of checking even simple facts.

Do these sort of inaccuracies annoy you? Or am I being petty?

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I find a meme that is obviously incorrect (i.e. it's an urban legend), I'll bust out the appropriate Snopes link.

So no, @Miss Chicken, you're not being petty at all.

Although I am rather embarrassed to admit that I've been pronouncing the word wrong all these years. I always thought it was "memm". But apparently it's "meem". :alienblush:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    Qonundrum and think like this.
  3. Miss Chicken

There is a BookTuber I know and love who pronounces Michael Crichton’s name wrongly. They pronounce the ‘ch’ sound rather than pronouncing the surname ‘cry-ton’. I do want to correct them but have not done so yet. A second Booktuber, who has a much larger following, did admit that he had been pronouncing Crichton wrongly and seemed to be a little embarrassed by the fact.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    think likes this.
  4. KlingonCereal

KlingonCereal Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Correcting someone isn't a malicious thing. Unless it has greater implications in the world (I.E. relates to politics, or someone's life) then I generally ignore it. But, needless to say, misinformation can be damaging.

There's also nothing wrong with being corrected. The best part about life is that no matter how long we are here, we are constantly learning. It's always exciting to learn new things and grow.

Qonundrum likes this.
  5. think

think Like Spock Premium Member

Just the other day I was saying on zoom that people who have to fix everything need to fix the fact that they need to fix everything and mind their own business.. Of course this statement was totally self referencing me.

Velocity likes this.
  6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Depends on the situation. I wouldn't correct something like that. Bigoted memes I'd chime in, or if it was incorrect about something like the shape of the Earth or vaccines.

There's nothing wrong with being corrected, but there's times it's not socially a good idea. It makes you sound like Sean Penn that time at the Oscars.

think likes this.
  7. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

IDK, aren't most memes 100% accurate??? Being on "teh interwebz" and all.

Scottish Inventions.jpg

Qonundrum and think like this.
  8. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Chekov would disagree

Qonundrum likes this.
  9. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

Is that things that are popularly assumed to have been invented/discovered by Scotsmen but weren't?

dJE

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  10. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^Some of those were by people who were of Scottish descent...like the US Navy... :shrug:

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Pretty much this. Like how Chekhov used to claim things were inwented by the Russians.

danellis likes this.
  12. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

[​IMG]

think and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  13. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

I quite agree.

Whoever it was who said that correcting someone is not a hostile act - it most certainly can be, in some situations. Pointing out obvious inaccuracies is such a useless and unnecessary act that often there is no other way to explain the behaviour other than as an insult. Especially if it's done in front of other people, like on a message board or facebook, or if the person doing it uses a condescending tone.

Speaking from personal experience, I only ever correct someone when I'm trying to be a dick or trying to start something...

think likes this.
  14. Miss Chicken

Some people do not mind if you correct something you know is wrong. For example, yesterday I made a statement that I thought that Jupiter had the most moons with 67 moons. I was corrected by a guy who said that the count is up to 79 now and that Saturn had more with a current count of 82. Why shouldn’t he tell me I was wrong, the 67 moons was old knowledge that had been updated since I read it.

I also didn’t mind when it was pointed out that I wrote the word ‘scourge’ when I meant ‘scrounge’.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  15. think

and yeah another meme... right?

peaceful points.jpg

proving my point is of no matter to me ... I have stopped trying to fix and repair the world --- so being right or being true is between me and myself I own nothing to anybody and nobody cares what I agree to with myself. It is love that sustains me given to me from myself... others can and do what they want... I don't need to influence these others with what is something they theirselves believe in for themself-- I know everyone is doing the best they can. I too am doing the best I can.

16. think

meme repeats.jpg

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  17. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

All the time. I feel it's one of the ways misinformation spreads, not only because it can easily be shared, but because something can easily be misunderstood in trying to be concise.

think and Miss Chicken like this.
  18. Rhodo

Rhodo Ensign Red Shirt

If there's an update to something time-sensitive, I will. There was a missing person image circulating in one of my subcultures and I knew the person had since been found safe, so I replied to it to update it. Doesn't prevent it from being needlessly shared on the whole, but at least people know.

Velocity and think like this.