Do Other Science Fiction Franchises Exist Within the Trek Universe?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Knight Templar, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

In the Star Trek world, do people flock to see movies (ok holodramas) about "Bolos vs. Berserkers"?

Do they debate which version of Babylon Five, Battletech, Battlestar Galactica, Blake's 7 (hey four Bs) or Space: Above & Beyond was best?

What about alternate history? This seems like a lively genre for potential in the Trek universe given their knowledge already of time travel and alternate universes.

And do the conspiracy theories of a modern version of "The X-Files" still spark watercooler (ok replicator slot) conversation?

We shouldn't take our not seeing them in the Trek episodes and movies to indicate anything definitive. After all, I've heard that active duty military personnel today do not normally spend a lot of time watching war movies.

2. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Re: Do Other Science Fiction Franchises Exist Within the Trek Universe

I don't think we've seen much of regular civilian life in Trek's brave new world. It's been suggested that World War Three did away with TV and movies and there was never really a resurgence as society had been rethought somewhat. Maybe they go to see plays a lot; Shakespeare is alluded to quite a lot in Trek.

3. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

For some reason, it makes me feel good to think that science fiction franchises continue to exist in the Trek universe. Perhaps in novels at least.

4. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

Captain Proton?

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Don't see why they wouldn't, since other forms of entertainment do.

6. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

It would have been odd for the Galactica to make one last desperate jump and find itself at the border of Federation space.

Scene: Bridge of Federation ship which has just detected the RTF using long range scanners.

Science Officer: Curious, they're traveling using a discontinuous warp field guided by probability plots. Dangerous way to travel.

XO: Yes, and the big ship is armed with... ...missiles. These things should be in a museum

Off Screen: They're being pursued. Pursuers are firing.They don't stand a chance.

XO: Do we intervene?

Captain: No. Until a culture has developed FTL flight via the continuous warp field we cannot interfere with their development in any way. Stay out of their sensor range and record what follows. There should be some nice explosions to watch later.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

In my novel Department of Temporal Investigations: Watching the Clock, I mentioned an Andorian "time-fic" author named sh'Lesinas. I figured that even if space travel is treated as routine, they'd still see time travel as a mostly fanciful thing (since most of the time-travel events that happen in Trek are probably classified so the public doesn't find out how easy it is to rewrite history).

I want to mention John M. Ford's classic Klingon novel The Final Reflection, which featured a series called Battlecruiser Vengeance that was basically the Klingon Star Trek. But that wouldn't have been considered science fiction, just a military action-adventure show.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, we know they sometimes watched old monster movies on Archer's Enterprise.

9. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There was once a Star Trek novel called My Enemy, My Ally in the 1980s which featured Kirk and some technicians watching a hologram of Doctor Who's Tardis materialising and the Fourth Doctor popping out and asking the nearest route to
    Heathrow.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Seriously, given that detective stories, westerns, and gothic romances still seem to be popular aboard Federation starships, I think we have to assume that vintage science fiction stories are still enjoyed in the future.

And, as already pointed out, let's not forget "Captain Proton."

11. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

I don't think that fictional existence in the same universe really counts as existing. If the Tardis were to actually appear on the Enterprise. If the totality of WHO reality and Trek reality were, therefore, supposed to mesh with each other, you would have franchises co-existing with each other.

Technically, any science fiction written before the events of Trek's divergence from actual history, is trivially part of the Trek universe. Verne, for example, is trivially a part of the Trek universe.

EDIT - Oops, misread the OP. My bad.

12. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

I also recall somewhere (perhaps in the FASA RPG) that there was another Klingon series based on the adventures of Captain Koloth called "Devisor Victorious".

IIRC, it was this series that helped spread Captain Kirks reputation across the Klingon Empire as he was frequently the "villian" of the series.

I'm wondering what science fiction writers in the 23rd/24th centuries see when they look three hundred years into the future?

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Given the utopianism of the Federation, maybe they write about a galaxy-spanning Federation that's probing into new galaxies or other universes. Maybe some imagine a posthumanoid future where everyone is uploaded into mobile holoemitters and can live forever. Then again, in the wake of the Dominion War (and, in the novels, the Borg invasion), there may be a trend toward apocalyptic Fall-of-the-Federation narratives, cautionary tales of the Federation way of life falling victim to collective consciousness or genetic engineering run amok or some such thing.

14. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

They had James Bond on DS9 and his girl, the approprately named Mona Lovsitt.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to TNG's The Neutral Zone, television died out around 2040.

We know from Enterprise's Home that movies were still being made in the 22nd century. In the episode, Archer learns about a WWIII movie released while the NX-01 was in the Expanse that "won all the awards."

16. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's safe to assume that in the TNG era holotech has simply replaced TV and movies as a medium of entertainment, although they seem work to the same principal but with greater interaction.

But it's funny to think about what was supposed to have happened to movies after 2040 as per Picard's statement in The Neutral Zone. Presumably WWIII restructured society in its immediate wake, but I can't imagine that by the time of TOS at least, there would be no use or interest in movie making.

17. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They mentioned watching some sci-fi movies in "Enterprise" on movie night. As for "Captain Proton"...I was under the impression that was entirely created by Tom.

18. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

I kind of got that feeling as well. Though I wasn't as familar with Voyager as some, I thought that Captain Proton was the 24th century holodeck equivalent of a YouTube production.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"Bride of Chaotica" is among the titles of films in Enterprise's film library. It might be a Captain Proton serial that was re-cut into a feature. Another title in the library is "Love's Lovely Love". Which sounds a lot like the mock romance title made up at the bookstore were I and a future member of the Star Trek production staff worked. Hmmmmmm.....

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only actual Who/Trek crossover I'm aware of is Jean Airey's The Doctor and the Enterprise. In it, the Enterprise crosses over to the Doctor's universe and the Fourth Doctor comes aboard. They then battle a Sontaran fleet. (interestingly, there are very important planets which don't exist in each universe: the Who universe has no Vulcan, because it was destroyed in a civil war; whereas in the Trek universe, Gallifrey was wiped out when its sun went nova many many many thousands of years ago).