District 10 to Start Filming

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 777, Apr 26, 2010.

1. 777

777 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

District 10, the sequel to District 9, will start filming in October. :techman:

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/04/exclusive-weta-update-mortal-engines-in.html

2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Awesome. :bolian:

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Kind of curious to see where they go with this. The first movie was pretty well self-contained, with enough doors left open a sequel could go just about anywhere.

4. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I want my Halo movie damnit!

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, no, now years from now people are going to be wondering why they can't find the first eight movies in the series... ;)

6. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As if a Halo movie wouldn't suck.

7. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

This is fokkin awsome news! I loved District 9 and I thought the ending left it wide open for a sequel.

8. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Very true! Years ago there was a movie from Britain called "The Madness of King George III." But for the American release they dropped the "III" from the title fearing Americans might think it was the third installment of a series.

9. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

No, only a complete idiot would try to find 1-8 in a series that starts with District 9. Oh, I'm sure I wasn't pointing anyone out specifically.

10. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

With a huge budget, Peter Jackson producing and a good director? I don't think inevitability belongs in this discussion.

It could suck.... or it could be the highest grossing sci-fi action movie of all time.

Not that I think it will ever get made at this point, because I don't think it will be.

11. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Games just don't make for good films. It's one of those facts of life.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Someones going to do it

District 1- see how it all began!

:rolleyes:

13. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe not. :)

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/george.asp

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Why would the sequel be called District 10?

District 10: The Lost District

15. FordSVT

Because most games have absolutely zero plot, so they have to contrive one in order to slap the marketing name on it.

"There are no good video game movies" (and vice versa) is a cliche that dates back to the NES days. While they're few and far between, it's not a law of thermodynamics. It's not a reason in and of itself that a movie shouldn't be made.

Games like platformers usually have too little plot to carry a movie, games like RPGs usually have too MUCH plot to deal with. This leads to pragmatic adaption or adaptation decay, mixed with corporate influence, and that often spells disaster for what made the original so good in the first place. See Super Mario Bros: The Movie and Final Fantasy: Spirits Within for an example of each.

They're not AMAZING FILMS or anything, but I'd say the first Mortal Kombat movie, the Silent Hill movie and a couple of the Resident Evil movies are examples of movies that faithfully stuck to their source material while remaining financially viable and semi-watchable.

Depending on how good the Prince of Persia movie is and how well it does, that might be another example.

Space marines, huge battles, mind-blowing special effects, an alien menace.... if Halo the game didn't exist someone else would make this movie because it sounds like a recipe to print money in the right hands. It's not thinking Uwe Boll on a shoestring, but Peter Jackson and $150+ million dollars.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There was a District 10 in the original film. It was the new settlement/internment camp to which the aliens were being forcibly relocated, the replacement for District 9.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Oh, that's right. I'm gonna need to watch that movie again. I only saw it once, and it's kind of a blur. I really only remember the guy turning into a monster and eating cat food.

18. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Uh, that link says there is some truth to the story.

19. FordSVT

Read it again and tell me anything Space Therapist said was true. There was no British movie, it was a play. It was released everywhere (including the UK) with the same movie title, and the primary reason for the title change was that Americans responded better to "King George" than simply "George" because they weren't as acclimatized to royals as the British were, not because Americans were too stupid to figure out it wasn't a trilogy.

All of the references to American stupidity or gullibility in the article, by Snopes and the director himself with the one line about it being "not totally untrue", seem to be borne out of hindsight and afterthought rather than substance, because it is funny taking the piss out of people by pretending they'd be that dumb. I can easily imagine a few laughs around a table when they were figuring out the title because it's a pretty natural comedic assumption. That's why it's an urban legend, because it rings true enough for anyone to believe it.

20. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Excellent news! Looking forward to it. :techman:

Who gives a shit? :lol: