Disrespect and insubordination

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by gakelly, Sep 26, 2021.

1. gakelly

gakelly Commander Red Shirt

Coming of Age

The entire crew should be ashamed of themselves on how they act during that episode. I can't imagine an admiral would allow crew members to act like that towards someone working under his authority.

2. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

What are you talking about?

KennyB and dupersuper like this.
  3. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm assuming this is about everyone's reaction to Remmick?

Remmick, who is someone specifically sent to rigorously investigate some kind of wrongdoing aboard ship... a wrong, which is being kept secret from them entirely. So it's the crew who are being disrespected by their superiors, especially as events progress & it begins to look as if Remmick is there to undermine the ship's captain

It's pretty expected to take some offense if people treat you like a criminal for no reason. I can't recall any specific outlandish acts of insubordination in this one (It's been a while since I saw it) but I'm willing to cut them some slack given how they're being dealt with

4. Finn

I bet Riker’s “as long as it doesn’t interfere with my duties “ attitude happens in RL.

I read an article where RL Air Force officers watched Stargate SG-1 and was asked if there was someone like Jack O’Neill. They said they all know officers who made Jack seem by the book or gung ho

5. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

It’ll be ok.

KennyB likes this.
  6. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They weren't being treated like criminals without reason, they were being treated as suspects. Quinn and Remmick were investigating them, not arresting them and charing them with crimes.

7. Finn

Another thought I had, while watching that episode the other day. Was Remmick aware that Quinn was considering promoting Picard to Admiral, and the commandant of the Academy? I have a feeling he didn't.

8. Mojochi

Suspected of what? Wrongdoing, criminality? They weren't being investigated per say, since all the investigation amounted to was interrogation of the crew, which is all just heresay. Under the claim "Something very wrong on this ship" they were all questioned without being told why. Just "You all stand accused of being in the wrong"

It's the right of any suspect to be given the reason why they're being questioned/detained. That refusal to do so, constitutes criminal treatment, & IMHO deserved a little push back from the crew

Just saying words to the effect of we're going to get to the bottom of what's wrong on this ship implies & presumes guilt

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Remmick approached them from the assumption there was a traitor.

You’re basically arguing “If you did nothing wrong there’s nothing to worry about”. Which has never been true in any era of history. People tasked to find wrongdoing find a way to find it. Everyone knew any word they spoke could be twisted to implicate one of their friends.

Everybody complied with the inquisition and answered the questions they were asked. They just didn’t indulge Remmick’s fishing expedition.

Mojochi likes this.
  10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure Remmick was in the dark.

11. Mojochi

Kind of a crappy way to suss out someone for promotion IMHO. Let's go rattle everyone with spurious claims of wrongdoing, & see if any of them buckle under the pressure, enough to throw the old man under the bus. If enough of them don't, I know I have my new academy commandant... WTF?

This is why I think that whole theory about therm being bugs already holds some water... or possibly they weren't bugs yet, but that they were aware of it happening already, & this was some test to verify the ship wasn't overtaken

In which case, Remmick would've been in on it, yes.

12. vandevere

vandevere Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In retrospect, that makes a lot of sense. Either Quinn and Remmick were trying to figure out if there was a conspiracy, and what it was, or they'd already been taken over, and we considering potential victims...

Mojochi likes this.
  13. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a weird way to go after the conspiracy nevertheless. The end result is what they would have been expecting for the hoped-for non-false negative: the heroes prove their innocence and display appropriate displeasure with the unorthodox and insulting procedure. Both actions should have been difficult for conspirators, if Quinn and Remmick already were aware that those display erratic behavior and lack of pertinent memories (thus also of skills and procedure).

But what would have been a non-false positive? The angered heroes did go a bit erratic. But when they did, Remmick didn't push further, perhaps as he didn't want to hurt their careers. So he treated their behavior as a false positive if not a true negative. What was he hoping to uncover? Was he really after factual wrongdoing that the conspirators / pod people would be guilty of? He didn't seem to home in on any, merely questioning decisions made in tight spots, the way one would be expected to question them on basis of Starfleet procedure but with the practical necessity for the decisionmaking clear in one's mind.

Might be the whole point was to get to look into the closets while this "investigation" was going on. As long as Remmick was Inquisitor Plenipotentiary, he could do things that would actually matter: look into truly strange orders (and finding none), secret communications (ditto), mystery deaths or disappearances (close to ditto, but "Lonely Among Us" and the like should have looked suspicious), contacts with shady folks (plenty on Picard's roster, and all the dirt might not have been on the official logs). Interrogating people would have been mostly facade. But since the personality changes, memory loss and other possession symptoms were a fact... If they did know, the interrogations would have been informative in that respect.

Timo Saloniemi