Disney's A Wrinkle in Time

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FarStrider, Jul 17, 2017.

1. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

I didn't see any thing about this in the forum. . . . So, Disney's teaser trailer for Ava DuVarney's A Wrinkle in Time dropped yesterday at D23. My inner 5th grader squeed. . . my middle-aged self went: hmmmmmmmmmm. I have no problem with the color-blind casting. . . Oprah as Mrs. Which. . . that works for me. . . Chris Pine rocking his gray beard as the dad. . . neat. . .and really, if you are going to cast Chris Pine as the dad, then Gugu Mbatha-Raw as the mom is inspired but I'm not quite sold on the kids, yet.

So far, it looks good. but there seems to be some clunky dialogue. My inner 5th grader and my middle-aged self want this to be good, but I'm tempering my excitement levels. . . this movie may not be made for me as an adult. . .

What are your thoughts?

2. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Yes........it was one of the few things that I was pleased with out of D23 so far.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read the book as a kid, but the only thing I remember about it was that
    the big bad was a giant telepathic brain
    As for the movie, coming into it with very little memory of the book, it looks good.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Much to my surprise, I wasn't a big fan of the book when I read it in college, but I love the overall premise and the trailer looks fantastic. I also love all of the casting and how, like Spider-Man: Homecoming, extensively incorporates people of color into the cast.

My favorite scene in the book is their visit to the creepy suburban cul-de-sac and it looks like the film has properly captured the eeriness of that scene.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read the first three novels of this series as a pre-teen, and thoroughly enjoyed them at the time. I've not revisited it, though I just might before seeing this, which I certainly will.

6. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

This has epic misfire written all over it. If I had one word to describe this, it would be "Bland".

Jonny Greenwood is supposedly scoring this. Sorry, but Jeff Danna did a good score to the film edit version of the 2003 TV movie by the same name; you got to at least step it up composer wise.

7. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As far as the "color-blind" casting is concerned, wasn't Alfre Woodard Miss Which in the 2003 film?

Edited to add: I just watched the trailers for each version on Youtube, and while Alfre Woodard is in the 2003 film, she's playing Miss Whatsit, I believe.

One last edit: I think both characters are actually Mrs. rather than Miss.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

New trailer

New Poster
    This really does look great. I might have to either track down my old copy, or just get a new one, so I can give the book another read.

9. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

I have read the book many times. Many of the elements in the trailer were not recognizable to me. I did not remember the children going on a missoin to defeat the dark - the world they visited was already lost to the darkness. The darkness had spread to Earth, yet the planet's population was resisting, so the darkness was finding it difficult to completely engulf the planet. The children were on a rescue mission and barely survived the rescue. The most recognizable element in the trailer was the children playing in unity on the dark-captured planet. I think it's name was Camoes, or something like that.

Though I like Chris Pine, I am going to pass on this film.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I read the three extant books at the time when I was in elementary school, and I can't say that I have much of a recollection of them. Like some others have said, I may revisit them, much as I revisited the Narnia books in the run-up to Disney's The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

11. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Camazotz