Disney fires James Gunn from "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lawrence B, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawrence B

Lawrence B Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  2. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

His tweets look like standard stuff from TNZ, circa 2001.

That's NOT an endorsement.

Jedman67 likes this.
  3. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Always throw away the receipts

Lawrence B likes this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's also deleted thousands of tweets since they started being pointed out.

OCD Geek and Lawrence B like this.
  5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

A good reason not post stupid stuff online. It can affect your job, even much later.

Kor

6. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Complete overreaction over some jokes. They weren't good jokes but come one, it's not like that stuff is off limits, see Family Guy.

Greysun, PureCrimson and Shaka Zulu like this.
  7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Toodles.

BillJ and Kemaiku like this.
  8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah no

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Family guy says things like "the best thing about being raped is that when its over you aren't being raped any more"?

10. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While this was certainly a hit job by the Alt-Right (a) nobody made him write what he wrote and (b) the same people getting up in arms about this now would have no hesitation in demanding the destruction of the careers of anyone on the Right who said the same things.

Grendelsbayne, Harvey, BillJ and 3 others like this.
  11. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

And of course no surprise that they were brought to light by Mike Cernovich, lead pizzagate proponent who has claimed that all of Hollywood is a huge child-sex ring, and who claimed that the tweets were not bad taste or sick jokes, but instead indications of what Gunn actually does.

Yeah the jokes were offensive and in bad taste. And yeah, considering their family-friendly image then Disney and Marvel are almost certainly right to disassociate themselves. But I hate the idea of this being seen as another "liberal scalp" taken by a right-wing conspiracy theory-pushing whacko.

Guess you missed when Quagmire walked in on the schoolgirl who'd been tied up and gagged in a bathroom and said "Jackpot" gleefully?

12. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did you a have a problem with Rosanne being fired? We're all responsible for our actions regardless of what side of the Political spectrum we fall on.

13. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

If Rosanne had been fired now for things she'd said over five years ago I'd like to think I'd have a problem with it.

The thing I love about deleting things originally posted in public is that it's a no-win scenario. If you delete them and then apologize for having posted them, you still open yourself up to arguments that you're just trying to cover up the terrible things you said...but if you don't delete them then clearly you feel no remorse.

suarezguy, OCD Geek and Jinn like this.
  14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have mixed feelings on this, on the one hand, those tweets are horrible and disgusting, but on the other the other hand the most recent of those is from 2012, and people can change a lot in 6 years.
    Either way, I am really disappointed since I loved the Guardians of the Galaxy movies.
    IGN's article appears to be more recent, according to it Gunn has deleted his Twitter account after posting one last tweet responding to all of this.
    Here's a couplequote:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Jinn likes this.
  15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

This is sad. Not one Marvel director has completed their trilogy. I was excited to see where his .Vol 3 would have gone.

Supposedly this was the last time this set of Guardians would be on screen. We would be getting new Guardians after .Vol 3.

Also Gunn's choices for music too.

16. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't read any of the tweets, so I'll keep my comments light.
    The past comes back to bite you, we have freedom of speech, but not freedom from no consequences. Now this current age of "allegation is truth" mentality, and companies firing people just to be clear of whatever storm erupts instead of seeing what actually happens needs to end. If there is something going on, bring it forth, let investigations happen, apologies given if needed, and if its beyond the pail, then fire them. Regardless of Left Right or Center, step back, look at what happened, then take action if needed, no more knee jerk behavior. You have to the right to be heard, but not automatically believed. Bring forth your story, and if its the truth, actions will be taken, if not, then nothing.

17. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

Rosanne wasn't fired for bad taste jokes. She was fired for direct attacks on people, then apologising, then doubling down on her attacks, then blaming her medication, then tripling down, then retweeting fake white-supremacist conspiracies and photoshopped images of Whoopie Goldberg, then blaming her medication again, then ranting at her co-stars when they didn't back her up. If some left-winger had trawled up some bad-taste jokes from her back in 2012, then I personally would have been more forgiving.

As I said, Disney and Marvel are family studios, with a different target audience, and regardless of my own personal opinions on Gunn then they had little choice in the matter.

18. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

That's unfortunate, especially since those all seem to be from years ago, but I can see why they decided to fire him. I think they easily could have justified not firing him, but in the end it was his own bad behavior coming back to bite him. I liked GotG fairly well and GotG 2 a lot, but I don't think he's the only person who could make a GotG 3 at this point (I wonder what the Thor: Ragnarok director is doing now...).

19. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i think for me the fact he is 51(almost 52) and that means these tweets are all posted by someone at the time in his 40s, reduces a lot of the "changed/matured a lot" argument. This isn't someone digging up tweets or other social media postings made when they were in middle school or high school. This was stuff posted where a 45 year old grown man is joking about pedophilia.

20. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, looking at this, its a bit ridiculous. Its been years, and he'd gone past that. It looks like this all came up because trolls that don't like his politics and calling out assholes decided to dig up the tweets and get him fired. The tweets themselves are indefensible, and honestly probably should have prevented him from getting hired at the time, but its been years, and he obviously learned and grew past that. Disney had to have known about them, because people at the time rightfully called him out on those tweets. Giving in to idiots like this could lead to a bad precedent.

I think there are many situations where horrible tweets can and should be used to fire someone, but in this case its less about what he did and more about when he did it, how he's changed in the years since and the types of people who brought all this up specifically to get him fired.

Shaka Zulu, Skellington and Jinn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.