Discovery and "The Orville" Comparisons

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Jedi_Master, May 18, 2017.

1. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

You talked mainly about the TNG Enterprise sets being influenced by Alien and in turn influencing Dark Matter. We showed you photographic evidence that perhaps that's not correct. Then you went on a tangent about androids and dialogue and now we're on to other things about the jellyfish aliens.

I'm not trying to gang up on you here but @CorporalCaptain is right. You do keep moving the goalposts. Personally, I'd just like to see what it is you're directly speaking of. You can't post pics. Fine. Copy a picture location or website address into the post. There may be JavaScript issues on the site but we've given you plenty of opportunity to prove your point and offered suggestions how to do so. But just saying something is true doesn't make it so and might not convince us.

A picture, after all, is worth a thousand words. :)

ATimson, Jedi_Master and Serveaux like this.
  2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens has a critics score of 92% and an audience score of 89% on Rotten Tomatoes. It is the 11th highest grossing film of all time in the United States and Canada adjusted for inflation, and was the fastest film in history to gross $1 billion. It has a total box office gross of $2.068 billion.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story has a critics score of 85% and an audience score of 87% on Rotten Tomatoes. It grossed $1.056 billion, and was the second highest-grossing film of 2016.

Both of these films were enormously successful. By any meaningful definition, they worked.

Shaka Zulu, Jedi_Master and Markonian like this.
  3. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm reasonably certain that shady12 was being sarcastic.

jaime likes this.
  4. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Do we know if there'll be more trailers or insights into The Orville before the series launches?

5. TrekE

TrekE Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Bridge to engineering. Scotty, the sarcasm meter is broken again.

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I like the simple set of Orville.
    They aren't trying to be too slick.

7. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Orville looks like what it is..a parody version of STNG. Flatly lit, with some 2017 effects. It looks like a tv show.

Discovery looks like what it is: A big budget mini-movie with cutting edge production and FX.

Markonian, Amaris, JoeP and 3 others like this.
  9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

That depends on if he is dilated to 10cm.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  11. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

I don't think that the Star Trek franchise will suffer if Discovery fails; there'll still be the Star Trek movies, and the franchise will continue with those-there's no big need to have Star Trek be on TV 'just because'.

As for this 'Orville' thing, who cares? It's just a parody, one of many on TV.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  12. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

The reason people care is that at the time Galaxy Quest came out many people realized that the film struck a more authentic Trek tone than the Trek still being produced at the time. So for disaffected Trek fans, it was a good substitute for "good" Trek. Many are looking at The Orville as being the more purist alternative to Discovery. More of an accurate homage with comedy rather than something that attempts to simply attack and tear down Trek.

C57D likes this.
  13. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The accurate phrase here is not "realized that..." but "deceived themselves that..."

Markonian likes this.
  14. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Leaving aside for a moment that I think that entire hypothesis is a load of bunk ('many people' eh?) The 'Trek being produced at the time' was TNG, VOY, DS9.

The only other live-action Trek in existence was TOS.

Meaning Galaxy Quest was apparently authentic to the tone of a quarter of the franchise. 25%. A tiny, little, itsy-bitsy minority segment of it, Even less than that, if you count the yet-to-exist ENT and Kelvin.

In other words: Not very 'Star Trek tone' faithful at all.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  15. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Actually the only Trek being produced/released in 1999 was DS9 and VOY. The only completed live-action TV Trek in existence was TOS and TNG.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  16. Hela

I was considering NEM as the ending to TNG's little franchise branch.

It's tagline said I had to.

[​IMG]

Amaris likes this.
  17. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Here's your "many people" for you. Deny it all you want, take issue with it, hate it, whatever, but it doesn't change the fact many Trek fans really do treat the film as if it's Trek.

18. Hela

That link is going to be that supposed 200 people from five years ago, isn't it? The ones who 'voted' by hollering at a stage.

Unreliable and unverifiable means of voting aside, excuse me if I don't consider 200 people (at best) to be 'many' fans. Not when ENT at it's most unpopular and niche-y was still managing to pull in millions of viewers.

Instead, that 'tiny minority' phrase is springing to mind again.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  19. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was 100 people actually.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  20. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Oh wow! I never noticed that the red segment of the carpet was crescent shaped. I thought it was a circle. Neat!