Discovery Nominated for Peabody Award

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by MvRojo, Apr 10, 2018.

1. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Discovery was one of 16 programs nominated in the Entertainment category for the 77th Annual Peabody Awards. The category seems to combine drama, comedy, documentary, variety shows, and specials. The last time Star Trek was nominated (and won) a Peabody Award was in 1988 for TNG's "The Big Goodbye."

The nominees are:

2. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Much as I enjoyed Discovery, it should not be in the same category as The Handmaid's Tale.
    1) it frankly isn't as good,
    2) partly because it's original scripted drama, which is not fairly compared with book adaptations, in my view.

INACTIVERedDwarf and pst like this.
  3. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

CBS bribing.. sorry marketing department working overtime.

Fateor likes this.
  4. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, absolutely. Because...you know...that is totally more plausible than simply believing that someone thought it was good.

:rolleyes:

Cmon man, have some faith!

5. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Admittedly though, some of those other shows are weaker than DSC..so it's all relative.

It's nice for the franchise we all take so seriously to be recognized...so I'll take it at thîs point.

UncleRogi and cultcross like this.
  6. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Even assuming CBS promoted the show to get awards, that would just be what every single outlet does, including Hulu and Amazon and Netflix and every broadcast and cable channel.

Xerxus, Greg Cox and gblews like this.
  7. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Congrats to the DSC team. Very prestigious nod whether it eventually wins or not. It's in there with some fine company. Obviously, the award nominations the show is getting are causing the heads of some to begin spinning. ;)

8. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

i'm a little baffled by this nomination.

aside from representation, discovery hasn't really broken new ground or contributed story-wise in any meaningful way. not yet, anyway.

Jadeb likes this.
  9. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Even the representation isn’t groundbreaking. Having a gay character is pretty common. It is for Star Trek, which is ironically stuck in the past on many issues.

pst likes this.
  10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

My general impression is that the mainstream reaction to DISCO has been much more positive than fannish debates and controversies might suggest. Outside the hothouse atmosphere of the internet, mainstream reviewers and critics seem to be liking the show.

11. Awesome Possum

All of my friends who watch Star Trek love it. I only see hate for it here.

12. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We will find out soon, based on the viewership for S2.

The streaming viewership numbers for STD S1 were rather mediocre, but CBS definitely tried to spin them as positive to promote S2.

Spock and the Enterprise are bound to boost up numbers in a huge way. I'm curious why they had to rely on that so early in the game, but I think CBS really wants to drive up subscriptions in a big way this year.

This is the year that will really determine whether All Access survives or not. When Disney launches it's streaming service, the smaller streaming networks will be fucked.

Online audience reaction to STD is divisive; https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/star_trek_discovery/s01 but the series definitely has it's fanbase. CBS is likely hoping that small fanbase gets a lot larger for S2.

13. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

i feel like i'm seeing a shift in feelings here about it. it seemed like while the show was airing, responses were enthusiastic. but now that the season is over and the dust has settled, praise has been tempered and there's more acknowledgment that the show could've been better.

battlestar galactica got a peabody in 2006 and it was much deserved. at that time, the show was groundbreaking, relevant, and featured intensely emotional storytelling.

discovery seems like it's striving for that same level of quality using similar techniques, it's just not there yet.

Jadeb and lawman like this.
  14. Awesome Possum

Shows sometimes take a bit before they hit their stride. TNG didn’t get to theirs until season 3.

JoeP, Greg Cox and pst like this.
  15. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

that's why i keep using the word "yet". discovery has a ton of promise, i'm rooting for it.

Jadeb likes this.
  16. Kane_Steel

Perhaps divisive isn't a strong enough word to describe Discovery actually.

I just discovered (no pun intended) the Star Trek official FB page, and STD is definitely getting a lot of mixed reactions from the online Trek fanbase at large;
    https://www.facebook.com/StarTrek/

Though, I gotta admit the angry reactions to Burnham being front and center on the Captains banner are kind of hilarious.

pst likes this.
  17. Awesome Possum

Angry fanboys are just loud, they don’t represent the entire fandom. Same thing happened to Star Wars. A bunch of idiots downvoted the movie, but in reality it did well and the home media release is the number one seller.

They’re pathetic and should be ignored.

18. Kane_Steel

The brand name of Star Wars would make the home media release a number one seller. Even Justice League was a number one seller on home media during the week of it's release, and that film was a bomb theatrically.

TLJ underperformed compared to TFA. It dropped off faster than analysts were expecting. Also, the toy and merch sales for TLJ have been abysmal, so much so that Hasbro had to address it.

It's hard to account for TLJ's divisive audience reception as angry fanboys alone; https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_last_jedi

It's true the Star Trek fanbase doesn't matter as much as whether general audiences like a property or not. The Star Trek fanbase is very divided on STD. Real general audience reaction is to be determined. Depends if subscriptions stay strong during S2 over their mediocre results for S1.

Interestingly enough, Trek fans were also very divided on Star Trek Into Darkness and ranked it as a the worst Trek film at the Vegas Trek Experience.It's no coincidence that Star Trek Beyond bombed theatrically and was met with apathy. There was mediocre WOM about it, and the fanbase's disinterest in the property could have led to it's demise.

Nowadays it's best to put out a product that makes your fanbase happy. Feige and the MCU have been setting the gold standard for this over at Disney, and it's paying off. It's so awesome to see how Black Panther is going to top The Last Jedi's WW box office total soon :| Deservedly so.

19. Awesome Possum

Sure, if you ignore the publically known attack on the site by 4chan. But lets not let facts get in the way of your narrative.

20. Kane_Steel

Cool story bro.

Let's see the numbers that prove 4Chan single-handedly are responsible for the 47% Audience Score for The Last Jedi.

Despite the fact that movements were organized to lower Black Panther's audience score;
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/02/entertainment/black-panther-negative-reviews/index.html

And yet, BP still levelled out with a respectable audience score, despite the 'attack.' Same can't be said for The Last Jedi, wonder why...

But lets not let facts get in the way of your narrative. ;)

Hopefully Russia wasn't involved too.

Fateor likes this.