News Discovery New Character Breakdowns

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by AutoAdmin, Apr 25, 2018.

1. AutoAdmin

AutoAdmin Machine of Death Administrator

A new news article has been published at TrekToday:

Several characters for the second season of Star Trek: Discovery have been developed and one has been cast, and now fans can...

Continue reading...

Markonian likes this.
  2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If ‘Samuel’ is only 10 years old, then it obviously can’t be Spock, who is already an adult and serving on the Enterprise...

Nyotarules likes this.
  3. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

They mentioned previously we would be seeing flashbacks, so presumably it's for that.

4. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Disabled character, interesting.

Does that young engineering officer character not sound a lot like Tilly?

BillJ likes this.
  5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The original article says: "Next is what appears to be the younger version of Spock that Jonathan Frakes recently revealed would be making an appearance in flashbacks."

Kor

PT109 likes this.
  6. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As has been pointed out, he's flashback Spock. Also, it's amusing to note that the production alias Samuel could be a cutesy reference to Kirk's brother.

"I lost a brother once. I was lucky I got him back." (which of course refers to Spock)

Gonzo, JoeP, Lord Garth and 1 other person like this.
  7. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

How do you describe a Starfleet engineer as a gearhead? Makes it sound like she is going to be working on old style muscle cars. Also this can't be the complete list. What about Pike and the Section 31 guy?

Jason

8. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another special needs character, interesting..

And May sounds like the lesbian love interest that they had previously mentioned.

9. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't understand why you can't describe a Starfleet engineer as a gearhead. Someone who is absolutely obsessed with engineering to the point that it overtakes their lives. I doubt they'll call her a gearhead in series, but its not necessarily a bad description for casting sides. They're supposed to be able to be a way for actors to have a real-life perspective on. And honestly, not everyone knows Star Trek chapter and verse.

Again, these are casting sides. The Section 31 guy was a bonus scene from the season 1 finale. And I believe(?) he was credited in the original episode. Regardless, he was cast a while back. As for Pike, that's a good point. Its entirely possible they always had Mount in mind for the role. Or we'll get it at some other point.

Edited: These should actually say "casting descriptions" not "casting sides." Terminology!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Lord Garth and Ceridwen like this.
  10. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well I was just kind of making a joke with the gearhead thing. Actually you can find lots of humor from having people who you suspect aren't Trek fans try and describe a Trek character.

The thing I am dying to know is how many episodes will Georgiou be in and how many will Pike be in. I really hope we get more than we got from Georgiou and Mudd last season who I was expecting to see more of. Silly IMBD even said Mudd was going to be in 5 episodes.

Jason

11. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, tone and the internet. An ever-losing battle. :p Fair enough, then.

Yeah, I put like zero faith in IMDB's casting information until after something airs. I was hoping to see more of Mudd too. But I thought we saw plenty of Georgiou myself. Between Prime (or whatever you want to call it) and Mirror Georgiou, she appeared in eight episodes. That's over half of the episodes! I honestly want to see a little less of her in season two. I like the idea of her being a recurring baddie. I just don't need to see her all the time. Keeping the mystery around a character is more interesting. As for Pike, the more, the better, I say!

12. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Yup. Sides would be script pages the actors would read.

13. Groppler Zorn

Groppler Zorn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder whether Reno will be in a wheelchair like Pike’s eventual one (unlikely unless she’s going to communicate with beeps) or something more akin to Melora Pazlar (I think it was) on DS9 who needed that suit to function in earth sea level gravity.

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was a background character in a wheel chair in episode 7, might be something like that.

Probably flashbacks.

Groppler Zorn likes this.
  15. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

I realize that "several" mean three or more, but I was hoping for a bigger leak. :-)

Sounds interesting. And, yes, pretty sure that Spock appearance is in a flashback. Dollars to doughnuts that he's offship in episode 2:1

16. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having a disabled character is fine, but having her confined to a wheelchair is hella stupid...presentism at its best.

We're already well on our way to being able to use electronics to help those who are paralyzed walk. By the 23rd century there would clearly be some sort of more advanced brain-machine interface which would allow for it. It's also pretty likely biotech will advance enough to regenerate nerve fibers, and develop "cures" for most of the disabilities which make it difficult to impossible to walk without being paralyzed.

I had no issue with the wheelchair shown in a single episode last season, because I could see them used on a temporary basis until someone recovers or gets mechanically augmented.

17. seigezunt

True, but then how can they have representation for disabled people? The show still is being broadcast for audiences of today.

18. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Geordi was a disabled character remember? His VISOR was a little crude in retrospect from what we would expect a 24th century cure for blindness to do (we can already hook up cameras to blind people's brains and have them see in low-resolution) but at least they made an effort to show that some of the issues with being disabled would be solved.

I'd prefer some sort of "brace" system ala Melora, because it would be much more useful than a wheelchair. Tig's character won't be able to use the jeffries tubes, for example, without dragging herself with her arms.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    jaime likes this.
  19. seigezunt

Excellent point.

20. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

May sounds like Sonya Gomez from TNG Season 2. Someone who I wish we saw more of, so this type of addition seems like a good second chance.