Spoilers Discovery, Burnham, & Section 31

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by guyute03, Sep 27, 2017.

?

Do you think we will see Section 31 in Discovery?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Don't know.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re-watching the first 2 Discovery episodes over & over again, like everyone else, and there's one thing I keep thinking. Michael Burnham is a perfect candidate for Section 31. I keep thinking back to when Agent Sloane tried to recruit Bashir in DS9, and I see the same thing in Burnham. That she wants to do the right thing, maybe at any cost. That it would be tempting to her to leave Starfleet, officially at least, and be a part of that service, the Federation version of a spy service. I can see this as a real possibility, not sure how others feel.

The other 31 thought I had is that they will probably feel they are vital to defeating the Klingons, maybe we see some tension between 31 & Starfleet. I can totally see that.

Thanks for reading, I hope if we do see 31, they are done justice as in DS9, NOT how they were shown in Into Darkness. 31 is NOT the Military Industrial Complex, they are just good old fashion spies. And I miss them.

Sarek@Vulcan and Borgminister like this.
  2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...I'm not sure what the Section could hope to achieve through a disgraced ex-officer thrown in prison, though. The universe is full of easy victims for drafting into following whichever cause, but Burnham as of the end of the second ep seems utterly useless for any and every cause.

Timo Saloniemi

3. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think we will see them but I think we might get a reference to them. I think if they do need something from a covert group they might go for the legit department such as Starfleet Intelligence. II kind of like to see how the differ from Section 31. Also a little off topic but I also hope we might see Starfleet Marines or maybe they are stilled called Maco's in the show.

Jason

guyute03 likes this.
  4. mdtauk

mdtauk Captain Captain

I think it is more likely that Captain Lorca has some illegal and dodgy plans in mind with his old and repurposed ship. And when looking for officers with certain skill sets, and a penchant to be morally flexible - Burnham was an obvious choice. He may hope to manipulate her to do what he wants.

And I think when she finally comes to the realisation of what is going on, her redemption will come from pulling the crew together to mutany against Lorca, bringing her story full circle.

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

No bet there, because that sounds awfully good.

A little more off topic, but the MACO never were Starfleet Marines - they were the exact opposite, a non-Starfleet force brought aboard a Starfleet ship and annoying Starfleet's own troopers to no end until Reed and Hayes made amends.

Also, the very name with the "Assault Command" bit and the "Ops" definer suggests this is but a small fraction of some larger whole. I'd rather hope to have the MDCT (Military Defense Command, Tactics) or the MLGS (Military Logistics Command, Strategic) mentioned. And of course SECF (Starfleet Exploration Command, Frontier)...

Timo Saloniemi

6. Wulfsa

Wulfsa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hoped it since i read the regnr. of the Discovery :beer:

7. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree, Jason Isaac has said that lorca is going to be the most 'fucked up' Captain, in his words. An article i read on Cinema Blend also states that Captain Lorca is going to be up to some seriously nefarious shit., I'm guessing that Discovery's mission will have to do with doing something highly illegal and immoral to beat the klingons like the creation of a bioweapon. Burnham will find redemption and make peace with her demons by stopping Lorca from carrying out his plan

8. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope Lorca doesn't become a villian because the fact that we can predict it I think is a clear sign that it is a cliche. I hope he is either a pawn or a red herring to someone more sinister. Saru would be a interesting choice because he has come off as very moral. What if the war has changed him, combined with his keen instinct for survival from being prey it might make sense. I got to even wonder about Sarek though that one would be hard to justify.

Jason

Galaxy likes this.
  9. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From Memory Alpha. Can't believe I missed this. Not sure it confirms anything but it is interesting.

"On 1 August 2016, Bryan Fuller suggested that the series would be set prior to The Original Series, stating that the registry number of the Discovery was a clue as to the placement of the series in the timeline. He also stated that it would be possible to read a connection, "or not", to Section 31 in some aspect of the first season."

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery

Sarek@Vulcan likes this.
  10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I would be disappointed if Section 31 are in the show. It already feels incredibly uncreative.

11. CardassianAssassin

CardassianAssassin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ehm, intelligence work requires grace under pressure, a high degree of emotional intelligence and a cool head.

Does Burnham really strike you as fitting that description? You know, between her killing the first Klingon the Federation has seen in a century, assaulting a commanding officer, attempted mutiny, and committing war crimes?

She might fit the bill for out-of-control inner city cop, but not Section 31.

KirkusOveractus likes this.
  12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Considering the MACOs use what would later become the Starfleet command star on their uniforms, it seems clear the MACOs eventually became part of Starfleet, which Beyond more or less confirmed. So yeah, if this show featured Starfleet Marines and called them MACOs it would not bother me at all.

13. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

She would be the Double-O Agent killed in the pre-credit sequence of a Bond movie, the one who breaks cover, loses her cool and Bond has to blow up a city to undo what happened.

14. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

I think it likeiky that was ever is going on with Discovery is a section 31 backed project

15. BillJ

I'm confused about what war crime Michael Burnham committed?

Gonzo likes this.
  16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Apparently hiding the antimatter warhead in a Klingon corpse is an actual war crime under the Geneva Convention. Meh, I really don't care though.

KirkusOveractus likes this.
  17. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most intelligence work actually requires the ability to patiently sit at a desk for hours crunching data and doing paperwork, and, on the rare occasions when you actually get a field assignment, to sit around endlessly in some weird locale waiting to discreetly meet up with somebody and exchange another piece of cryptic data.

Kor

18. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

I kinda hope not. It would feel very small universe for every "dark" operation to be related to Section 31. But I guess it's possible, given how they did it in Everybody's Favorite JJ Movie-tm

19. BillJ

But wasn't it Georgiou that ordered that specific course of action?

20. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

is there a Space Geneva Convention?