Disappointed With Great Episodes?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Bry_Sinclair, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Are there any Trek episodes out there that most people hold to be great examples of Trekdom or storytelling, but you find a little disappointing for whatever reason?

For example, I find "Best of Both World, Part 2" to be a little bit of a let down after the great build up of the first part, though can't really put my finger on why that is. It's still a good episode, but it just seems to be lacking something from Part 1.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

"Living Witness" - Heard for years how great this episode was, then finally saw it and it was incredibly bland.

3. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That episode does give us an idea of a mirror universe type Voyager story, but is mostly bland talking.

Favorite Quotes:
    "Pure fiction. This is absurd."
    "Halt re-creation. This is a reasonable extrapolation from historic record. But if you'd like to point out any inconsistencies..."
    "Inconsistencies? I don't know where to begin. Granted, this looks like the briefing room, but these aren't the people I knew! No one behaved like this... well, aside from Mr. Paris."

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Prax likes this.
  4. φ of π

φ of π Captain Captain

The Inner Light.

By Q, I hate that episode so much.

BillJ likes this.
  5. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

You're dead to me now.

BillJ likes this.
  6. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I agree. As a showcase for Stewart's acting abilities fine, but as a Star Trek episode it was a big nothing.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  7. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Chain of Command Part I is a bit pointless without it being the DS9 crossover they had initially planned the first part to be. Granted there are scenes with Jellico but Part II is where the point is.

8. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Measure of a Man is a big, talky substitute for Ambien.

I don't get why it's so heralded. Seems like 100 other Trek episodes to me.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Part of that might be down to expectations. Sometimes if we hear how great something is all it can lead to is dissapointed because of our preconcieved expectations the reverse is also we can be pleasenty surprised by something we are xpecting not to like

I find most second parts of stories esp. those that resolve season cliffhangers to be dissappointing. As they often right the first parts months before they have to write the resolution.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

City on the Edge of Forever. Not sure how that's consistently voted best of all the time. I just didn't ever catch on.

Herbert and Jasin like this.
  11. Jasin

Jasin Cadet Newbie

I actually am ok with the basic premise of a prequel story. I was excited when I first heard when this was set, because The Cage era is one of my favourites and I have wanted a Captain Pike series for ages.
    But for me, if you want to do that it needs to actually look period appropriate and respect canon.
    So as soon as I saw the first glimpses of the uniforms, I knew it wasn't going to adhere to that.
    And if you can't get that basic part right - in my opinion you should do something else. Set it after Voyager, whatever. That's fine too.
    What they've done though... it's awful.

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  12. PhotoBoy

PhotoBoy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All Good Things

While it's generally an excellent story it does irk me that the Worf/Troi romance is in there. In fairness that relationship wasn't quite so bad when the show was on, but as it was completely ignored by DS9 and reversed by Insurrection and Nemesis it was a pretty pointless plot line, especially as it essentially appeared out of nowhere and ignored the whole Riker/Troi thing that had been in the background since the very first episode.

Then there are the references to three converging deflector dish beams in the anomaly all matching the Enterprise, when one of them should have been from the Pasteur. Finally there's the bizarre situation where the anomaly wasn't visible when the Pasteur arrives but it's somehow there when the future Enterprise returns even though it should only be visible before it was formed.

So I still very much enjoy AGT but those elements always really bug me!

Jasin likes this.