Did the "alien 'dog'" belong to Dee Kelley?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Redfern, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty much what the title asks. Did the dog dressed as the wee beastie in "The Enemy Within" belong to actor DeForrest Kelley? For years I just assumed the animal was "hired" from a "performing animals" troupe. However, the other day I saw a cute illustration at "Deviant Art". It depicted Uhura cuddling and kissing the critter like the cute lil' dog it really was. One of the commenters claimed the animal was Kelley's. Actually, this makes sense. I can see Roddenberry asking if anyone associated with the production having a pet rather than going through more official, sanctioned channels and paying more for the services offered.

Can anyone confirm or denounce this claim?

2. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would also be interested in knowing this. MA could have an actor page for the dog then if we also know its name.

3. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

Hmm. No mention of that being the case on Memory Alpha (although that doesn't mean it's not true). Never heard that before.

4. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. telerites

telerites Commander Red Shirt

Found this pic of him with a small dog presume it is his so maybe he did have an affinity for small dogs.

[​IMG]

TLOZ Lover and Spocko like this.
  6. telerites

Actually if you run a Google Image search for him with a dog, there are several but didn't see the breed that was used for the episode. Mostly him with dog I pictured above and just using a best guess as to when they were taken.

7. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He did. William Shatner tells the story in his autobiography of how he was unable to stifle a laugh when De Kelley told him how his dog had accidentally run into the garden sprinkler head and died, and how De subsequently stopped speaking to him for a time.

8. Green

Green Commander Red Shirt

God, I love that picture above. The world is a lot poorer since he passed.

9. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, Shatner just has a knack for inadvertently pissing people off, doesn't he? Nimoy stopped talking to him for a while after his "Get that Vulcan an aspirin!" joke on TOS.

10. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"The Enemy Within" dogs had some performing to do, including angry barking, super-mild gentleness, and a willingness to lie "unconscious" on the Transporter pad. Also there were two of them who looked alike. So I would think they came from a Hollywood service that trains animals for acting jobs.

11. Esteban

Esteban Commander Red Shirt

"Cheers" was De and Carolyn's schnoodle, as pictured above during his 3 years on TOS.

No, it was not the "The Enemy Within" dog.

12. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

So what was the "Get that Vulcan an aspirin!" joke all about, please?

13. P Tom

P Tom Commander Red Shirt

Recalling from my memory of reading Shatner's book ("Star Trek Memories"), Shatner and Nimoy were rehearsing through the Horta scene in "The Devil in the Dark", and when Nimoy got to the part where Spock screams "Pain! Pain!", Shatner joked back by yelling "Get that Vulcan an aspirin!"

I may not be describing the whole story here, for more information read Shatner's book.

14. telerites

I think Nimoy also had the flu or a severe cold during that scene which attributed to his raspy voice. It actually played out very nicely and IIIRC he commented on that himself.

15. JonnyQuest037

That's basically it. To put it further in context, Shatner's father passed away while they were shooting that episode, so he missed the shooting days when Spock was doing the mind-meld with the Horta (They shot Kirk in reverse with Shatner's stand-in in wide shots). When Shatner came back to the set, he wanted to make a joke to show everyone on set that he was all right and things could go back to normal. Nimoy was showing Shatner what he'd done in his closeups so that Shatner could react to it properly in his closeups. Shatner made his off-the-cuff joke. Nimoy took it as Shatner setting him up for ridicule.

I can certainly see where both of them were coming from there. Just one of those unfortunate instances of miscommunication.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I've heard the story about Shatner and the "Get that man an asprin" from Devil in the Dark, but this is the first I've heard of Nimoy being angry about it. In the past when reminded, Nimoy laughed about it too. No indication of him being mad. Are you guys sure you're not remembering some other incident and just getting them confused?

17. JonnyQuest037

I'm sure. It's just something that Nimoy laughed about in later years after he and Shatner became close friends. Haven't you ever had a fight with a friend that seemed really serious and important at the time that you both laughed about years later?

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Nimoy wrote about this very incident in one of his memoirs.

19. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course I have. Just didn't know the whole story on this is all.

20. JonnyQuest037

He and Shatner also talked about it in Shatner's Mind Meld DVD. They may have excerpted that portion in Adam Nimoy's Spock documentary.

Harvey likes this.