Did Devinoni Ral show up in the lit?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Arpy, Dec 6, 2018 at 11:23 PM.

1. Arpy

Arpy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched TNG's "The Price" earlier (the one with the Barzan wormhole). It's interesting to watch now -- the relationship issues with Troi, Devinoni, and Riker landed for me more this time, having had more life experience than when I first saw it. I found myself fascinated by the costuming, hair, casting, and overall presentation of the slick self-exiled hired-gun human. Has he showed up in the Trek lit? Memory Beta doesn't have an article on him. And what kind of a name is "Devinoni" anyway?

2. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

We can say that it's almost certainly not Betazoid. No reason it can't be an Earth name.

3. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For those FilmCow fans out there:

[​IMG]

5. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a great episode. Except for maybe the foot massage scene. Every time I see the actor Matt McCoy in something... bam I see the foot massage scene in my mind.
    I also wondered if Ral popped up anywhere else in the Trek universe.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Since Memory Beta does not have a page for Devinoni Ral, that would suggest he has never been in any novels, comics, games, or indeed, anything other than The Price.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I felt that the actor was real step down from Steve Gutternburg in the police Academy movies, but he's had a small recurring roll in Silicon Valley that I have enjoyed.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 11:41 PM
    TheAlmanac and Tim Thomason like this.
  8. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Commodore Commodore

He was in the Customizable Card Game. I don't think that really adds anything, narratively, to his timeline.

9. Tosk

I did prefer his Lloyd Braun though.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  10. Guy Gardener

Stevil2001 likes this.
  11. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He was also pretty awesome on HBO's Silicon Valley:

Tim Thomason likes this.
  12. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I’ve always liked that episode and Matt McCoy’s performance.With the Chrysalians and the Caldonians it’s one of the surprisingly few episodes that convey the image of a wider,non-federation galactic community.
    I would like to have seen those cultures mentioned again.

Arpy likes this.
  13. Arpy

I thought of it as some futuristic Earth name. Points there. But it also sounds vaguely Italian, and he was rather tan, dark-haired, and dressed in 24th C. Armani... Dunno.

He and Martus probably go to the same tailor — Braderoni, of Savile Rowus IX.

And what kind of a name is *Ral, anyway?

14. Guy Gardener

Was Dee tricked into frakking Ral?

15. Arpy

I dunno. He had an ace up his sleave she wasn’t expecting from a human, but she did grow up with telepaths, and lives in a cosmopolitan society of people with many different talents. And he was honest with her about his ability before she decided they weren’t meant to be — it wasn’t the deal breaker. But that could be a problem with the writing more than the situation. Like I said, I dunno.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"Devinoni Ral"? Sounds more Indian to me. There are a number of similar Indian names, like the surname Devnani and the female given name Devayani. And "-ral" is a part of multiple Indian given names, though not so much on its own. Maybe the writer was trying to give the character an Indian name but didn't do enough research and came up with a fake-ethnic name (much like Sulu, Uhura, and Khan Noonien Singh).

17. Arpy

^ Italian as in adding -oni at the end. As Terok Nor said, maybe his name was originally Devin, before future/Italian-ified. That’s why I joked that his tailor was Brad-eroni.

I didn’t think Ral was Italian. I thought maybe it was Eastern or some future version of “royal” as in “sangreal.”

Terok Nor likes this.
  18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But then it would've been pronounced with a long O sound, not a short one. Also, Italian names don't work that way. The suffix would be -ni or -i, not -oni; the O would have to be part of the name it was appended to, like Marconi from Marco. If "Devin" could be Italianized in that way, it would probably be "Devini."

19. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is this the first episode to feature the Delta Quadrant? I did like how those Ferengi dolts ended up appearing on Voyager.

20. Tosk

Yes. Although if the TOS crew went to the center of the galaxy, I guess they may have strayed over the border into another quadrant. Like standing in four states at the same time. :)

King Daniel Beyond and Terok Nor like this.