Destroyer Update

CDR6

Lieutenant Commander
Red Shirt
Greetings all,

Well, it's time for another tale of obsession from Chuck's CAD files... Last time you may remember, "our hero" took on the dreaded Enterprise of JJ Abram's recent films. Culminating in the 1701JJ revision. Which worked out pretty well for my much battered sense of design.

So many drawings, so little time...
Being retired with little else on my plate, I recently decided to do some clean-up/admin work on my cad files and libraries. While I was doing this, I came across an old project directory on the destroyer USS Langley in which I had two versions "on the boards" for possible rebuilds as physical model kit-bashes. (One being TOS and the other being a TMP version.) My physical model building is a sleeping Sehlat, that I will tip-toe past at this time.

What's in a name...
I assigned the name Langley to the TOS version by virtue of Professor Langley's contributions to early naval aviation. The TMP version unfortunately had a good portion of work which lay ahead. Named for an actual historical figure she was rechristened as the Charles F. Adams.

The real man...
Charles F. Adams was the charge' de affairs at the United States embassy in London England, during the Civil War (Old Earth, 1861-1864) His tenure at this post was due to our ambassador being recalled in protest to England's slightly more than, "tacit support" for the South. Which culminated in their beginning to build ironclads for the Confederate Navy. Word of this reached the charge's office as the ships, built in secret, were preparing to sail for France, hence to be armed and sailed to the CSA.

Adams, immediately hired a photographer, commandeered a coach and in true daring-do fashion got to the Royal Naval Yard headlands, got the pictures, (while under fire from the Royal Marines), escaped and had the plates developed. The next day he had the evidence sent off on a fast packet to President Lincoln. Congress then called the French Ambassador on the carpet and raised absolute hell about France's espoused "neutrality", as a consequence the ships, now in French control, wound up being impounded for the duration. For Adams part, he was publically commended by both the President Johnson and Congress after the war and his return to the United States.

I chose the Charles F. Adams in line with the old policy of following the U.S. Navy's WW2/Cold War Era, practice of naming its DEs and DDs for persons who's contributions greatly aid the Navy mission. (eg. The Sullivans, Adm. Kidd, John Paul Jones and so forth...) UPDATE... Since this writing, I have found out that there really was a USS Charles F. Adams DDG 2. (Named for a former Secertary of the Navy.) So life imitates art, or art imitates art... or something like that!

Number-ology and stuff...
From both Franz Joseph and J.J. we find the destroyers contract numbers fall in the five hundred series, so I chose 548, five hundred IAW the build series, and forty-eight for my birthday... (Done and done...).

Initial Design Review...
Sometime back I had started work on an update of the Franz Joseph destroyer class vessels. So where to begin? The project was in total chaos... So much fretting later, the wife and I were on the phone with an old friend of many years, (she, a writer of fantasy novels and other works...), over the phone I lamented my project's status and the lack of a starting point to get it rolling again. Where upon she quoted Lewis Carol ..."Start at the beginning and go to the end. Then you are done." (Thanks Pat!)

So what do I need? Lets see, standard drawing package, 7 view drawing, top, front, back, bottom and side views,the inboard profile and a bridge layout!

Project Definition...
So other than the afore mentioned seven views and cut-a-way what do I want to achieve with this drawing?
1. A little more of ships systems.
2. A little more of ships structure.
3. B-size (11x17) format.
4. Reactors and warp core/domes/crystals as on exterior per TMP.*
5. Update/enhancement of engine to follow the look of TOS/TMP time frame. With the J.J.-esq turbo fan looking elements on the fwd nacelle.
6. Crew representation for size reference purposes.
7. Up date exterior markings.
8. Up date console stiles a/r.
9. All ST design elements are on the table for possible use.
10. A more drafting like presentation.

* The whole warp core overheat thing always bothered me as not making sense, even as a plot device. (Again borrowing from history of the Civil War Era) the US Navy did not utilize boiler "pop off" valves on their steam driven ships until late in the war, with the loss of the Sultana and all aboard, due to a boiler malfunction. At that point "pop off valves" were retrofitted into all Navy ships in service and were further incorporated in all new ships from then on.

So the same goes for Starfleet ships... The warp crystal is now a type of "pop-off valve" for the warp core, invented by Dr. Irwin La Forge (Great grand-father of Geordi LaForge) , the device itself is known simply as a La Forge Valve.

Credits Due...
Once again, I wish to thank all the artists, model makers, archivists and all the other graphic types who's genus and art continues to inspire my humble efforts... Had great fun putting this together, so I hope everyone enjoys this.

Regards to all,
-Chuck

http://s118.photobucket.com/user/NASA736/media/STARSHIPS/NCC548%20USS%20CHARLES%20F%20ADAMS/NCC548%20BOW%20VIEW-Model.jpg.html

http://s118.photobucket.com/user/NA... ADAMS/NCC548 OUTBOARD PROFILE-Model.jpg.html

http://s118.photobucket.com/user/NA...RLES F ADAMS/NCC548 STERN VIEW-Model.jpg.html

http://s118.photobucket.com/user/NA...HARLES F ADAMS/NCC548 TOP VIEW-Model.jpg.html

http://s118.photobucket.com/user/NA...LES F ADAMS/NCC548 BOTTOM VIEW-Model.jpg.html

http://s118.photobucket.com/user/NA...ES F ADAMS/NCC548 INBD PROFILE-Model.jpg.html

http://s118.photobucket.com/user/NA... ADAMS/NCC548 BRIDGE PLAN VIEW-Model.jpg.html

Last edited:
CDR6, this is outstanding. I'd love to study full-sized images.

By the way, sheet #2 appears to be missing, as you've posted the top view (sheet #4) twice.

Great work!

Thank you sir. (Had a slight screw-up posting... forgot the outboard profile... should be there now.)

Very nice. I like the bridge layout a lot better than the original we saw on TV.

Is this your own work? If so, I'd like to mention that Amarillo Design Bureau (ADB, creators / publishers of Star Fleet Battles) is always on the lookout for people who can draft deck-plans for use in their Prime Directive role-play-game.

I did deck-plans for the Federation Police Cutter, the smallest ship in the fleet, so I know that it's a flipping ton of work. Not sure what they'll pay me, once it gets published, but it'll probably turn out to be pennies per hour for all the time I spent drafting it. But what the heck, I didn't do it for the money.

Yes, it's all my original work... I haven't a clue how long it took though (the actual drawing started some 2+ years ago) and wound itself to it's present state. (A fun hobby all told...)

I kept getting hung up, trying to make sense of things from the series(s) and films that contradicted my opinions/history/logic (such as it is.)

Anyway, if time permits, you can drop me a PM and I'll try to get in touch with them and see what they might need.

Regards,
-Chuck

Chuck - would I possibly be able to get your permission to put this in the SSDB? It is a very nice adaptation to the FJ classic.

Very cool! I really like that nacelle, especially since it isn't a cut & paste design.

Excellent work! You addressed two major flaws of the original FJ design (no shuttle bay and that god-awful deflector dish) yet keeping the clean lines of the original. Obviously a lot of thought, time and effort went into this - kudos! :techman:

Chuck - would I possibly be able to get your permission to put this in the SSDB? It is a very nice adaptation to the FJ classic.
Sure, go ahead. I drew the ship to share with with fellow Star Trek fans. My only request is that nobody uses it to make a profit. (money, etc...)

^^^ Roger that and thanks very much - and of course will credit you as the artist.
Very cool! I really like that nacelle, especially since it isn't a cut & paste design.
Agreed. I always enjoy seeing something different for a change, instead of the same old redistribution of familiar components, particularly like the variants on the circumferential and linear nacelle designs. This one seems to have a bit of an ACE quality to it without being ACE.

The resolution of the images I see is 1,024 by 819.

Any chance of letting us have higher resolution images to see the details more clearly? :hugegrin:

I did them in "B-size" because I wasn't sure if the link process would work. In-case it didn't the drawings might still fit with in the site's parameters... So being lucky thus far, let me see what I can do to pump it up some.
Regards,
-Chuck

Back