DertyNerdy's LCARS Graphics

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DertyNerdy, Mar 4, 2016.

1. DertyNerdy

DertyNerdy Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hello all!

Newbie here...well not really. I used to have an account but lost it years ago when this site looked a little different. Since then i've poped in occasionally to see what's new.

Anyway, i actually wanted to share something i've been working on since 2010. You know how these art projects go...you start them, leave them unfinshed for months and sometimes years, get back to them again, break away again. Well i've started digging into this one again for past couple of months.

Well I've always been fascinated by the visualness of Star Trek, the look of Starfleet...how everything looks so functional and technical but yet comfortable and inviting at the same time. I think the talents of the production designers and scenic artists are hugely unstated. I always loved the LCARS graphics in particluar, the simplicity of them, the colours and how they connect with each scene in an episode. This has always made them very pleasing to look at.

So i started taking it upon myself to recreate some of them. I've always enjoyed art and creativity so it's never been a chore really...well for the most part. I'm quite perfectionist when it comes to my artwork so i can annoy myself with constant setbacks and that when i think things don't look quite right.

Ok so enough of my rambling. Here's the first one...It's the 'Vessel Status' graphic from Star Trek: Voyager.
    I acutally posted this on the Okuda's Facebook page year ago to which they were impressed. It was taken from the book 'A Vision of the Future' by Stephen Edward Poe. I scanned the graphic and recreated it. It was a heavy copy and paste job. The colours come from the Captain's Chair pc game. Enjoy! I'll be posting more soon.

[​IMG]

2. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What software did you use to make this?

3. DertyNerdy

MGI Photosuite

It's a very old photo editing program for Windows 95....similar to the old Paint Shop Pro

I also use MSpaint to colourize it

Since the graphic is simply made up of pixels, no over advanced program is needed to create it...just the ability to draw, copy and paste

4. DertyNerdy

5. DertyNerdy

Work in progress...
    [​IMG]

6. DertyNerdy

Work in progress...
    [​IMG]

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sweet :)

8. DertyNerdy

I've been working on the Red Alert version of the Auxiliary Systems Monitor for the past year or so. Once finished, this will be the animation you usually see on VOY and DS9. This one has been rather labour-intensive and took alot of research, screen caps, frame grabs, colour correcting and episode watching to complete...but it's paid off! I'm really happy with it so far.

To break it down, the animation is a total of 294 frames. I've cut it down to 7 segments of 42 frames to make it easier to work on and i will post the first completed segment in a gif format so you can see how it looks. Eventually once all the segments are complete, the frames will all be added together to complete a full flash animation.

Here's one of the frames

[​IMG]

9. DertyNerdy

10. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very cool. This must have taken you ages. Based on the frames you did. Have you considered using flash to make them? You don't need to to it frame by frame and the lines and curves will come out in vector lossless colours

11. DertyNerdy

I only know the basics of Flash. I know how to compile all the frames together, edit it around and make the swf file for the animation but that's about it. I made the GIF just for the purpose of posting the preview here. Photoshop...illustrator...flash...i have no idea how to use the advanced features of these programs but hey, im learning :)

12. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

13. DertyNerdy

Thanks buddy...we'll see how it goes. definitely a labour of love...i do enjoy the process when it goes well...like putting together a big jigsaw puzzle

14. DertyNerdy

Another update. Segments 1,2,3,4 and 5 together. The number text on the far left i need to do again

[​IMG]

cardinal biggles likes this.
  15. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome! :o

16. DertyNerdy

Main part all done..now just need to finish the animation for the text and buttons at the top!

[​IMG]

cardinal biggles and labfred like this.
  17. labfred

labfred Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Wow this animation is amazing., can't wait for the full version. Keep up the good work man.

18. labfred

labfred Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

19. DertyNerdy

Acutally yeah the red alert graphic is pretty much done...just a few tweaks here and there

[​IMG]

20. DertyNerdy

Right now i've started colorizing the standard version one that appeared from Voyager's season 5

[​IMG]