Spoilers Deleted Scenes - Season 1

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lord Garth, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I bought DSC S1 on Blu-Ray and am about to watch the Deleted Scenes shortly. I don't see a thread on this, so might as well put one up!

guyute03 likes this.
  2. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the deleted scene from "Butchers Knife," showing the conversation on the ship of the dead just prior to Kol's arrival was valuable. I also thought the additional scene of young T'Kuvma in "Battle at the Binary" was pretty good.

The extra little scene in M2MTSMGM was pretty much a waste.

3. Lord Garth

I wish they NEVER cut that scene where Georgiou was enlisted into Section 31. They should've kept that in. BUT at the same time, I don't see where it would've fit into "Will You Take My Hand?" I hope they work that scene into the beginning of Georgiou's first episode in S2. "Previously on Discovery..." and then show the scene. They've kind of done that before with BSG where they'd retroactively add some things into the recap. I'm thinking specifically of "The Captain's Hand" where they add in Adama telling Tigh (?) he's assigning Garner to take command of the Pegasus because he's the best they've got.

They also should've kept the scene with Stamets, Tilly, and Saru where Stamets is trying not to think of Culber.

In "The Butcher's Knife", at the end of the Deleted Scene, was the TOS-style D7 a stand-in for a DSC-style D7 before they added it in? Either I'm not remembering something correctly... or they purposely didn't want to show their hand with the TOS D7 and cut it. EDIT: I have to re-watch that. I've got something wrong.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    guyute03 likes this.
  4. Vger23

The D7 was just preliminary/conceptual visual fx placeholder for what would eventually have been an image of Kol's ship warping in. If you look closely, it's Kronos One from TUC

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Lord Garth likes this.
  5. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

For all we know, that scene where she is enlisted is in season 2.

Lord Garth likes this.
  6. Warp Core Breach

Warp Core Breach Commodore Commodore

If you compile the deleted scenes to they make for a more interesting and similarly disjointed ride than STD s1?

7. Lord Garth

While there are some things I think they should've kept in there, it doesn't change anything substantially. You still wouldn't like it. I mean that in a non-sarcastic way. Nothing they cut was of real consequence except the Section 31 scene... and Stamets trying to stay focused on the job instead of thinking about Culber, but that's really just a small character beat.

8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad they cut it because I'm sure some (who don't follow Star Trek like a religion. ;)) will ENJOY the surprise of seeing Empress Gergiou pop up surprisingly on the Discovery in Season 2. Not everything needs to be spelled out on screen. :)

Vger23 and Lord Garth like this.
  9. Lord Garth

I agree with your point... but that's not why I wish it wasn't cut. The way that scene was shot, looks like it could've been in Blade Runner. Anything that reminds me of Blade Runner is always a plus.

Vger23 likes this.
  10. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    37 years ago, I walked out of the theater thinking to myself, damn I hope some of this comes true!
    :techman:

Lord Garth likes this.
  11. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Can you describe the scene?

12. Lord Garth

Mise en scene. I haven't done that since college.* A picture is worth 1,000 words, so stand by.

* I had to spend three pages describing a single frame in a film, its composition, what it symbolized, and on and on. That's college for you. :p

EDIT: Here's the deleted scene from "Will You Take My Hand?"

And here's the trailer for Blade Runner...

Blade Runner, by the way, is my favorite film of all-time. Runners up are Back to the Future, Bonnie & Clyde, and Rosemary's Baby. And for good measure: Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead. And I might as well round out my Top Five with Network (wait a minute, that's six, apparently I can't count). But Blade Runner... it's not just "More Human Than Human" but "More Classic Than Classic". The Orion Embassy in "Will You Take My Hand?" also reminds me of downtown in Blade Runner.

@gblews

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    gblews likes this.
  13. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

It really a shame that movie was essentially a financial failure.
    It's not my fav, but it's in my top 5.
    (I saw it 4 times the first week)
    :techman:

Lord Garth likes this.
  14. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Only seen the theatrical version of Blade Rinner and I didn’t think much of it. Been meaning to watch the Final Cut.

15. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absolutely should have had the Section 31 scene IN the actual season. It is an extremely important plot point going forward and I hate seeing it relegated to a place where many people may not even see it.

Hopefully it is revisited in some fashion in season 2.

16. Vger23

Blade Runner is among my all-time favorites as well. Others are Field of Dreams, The Matrix, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I guess I'm a sucker for sci-fi/fantasy.

17. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

My best movie theater experience EVER, was seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I had gone to the Friday opening-day matinee of "OUTLAND" on Memorial Day weekend.
    (which was a good movie too)
    Just as the credits started to scroll, the house lights came on and one of the theater employees came in to announced that they were going to do a special showing of a small movie that was coming out in a couple of weeks.
    He said anybody who wanted to could stay, but would have to remain in the theater till the end of the movie and would have to fill out a review card afterward.

I think there were about 20 people in the theater for OUTLAND, but only seven of us actually stayed for the review.
    It turned out to be Raiders.

It was like having your own private showing, except once the "large boulder rolled down", all seven of us were cheering, applauding and laughing out loud for the rest of the movie.

Needless to say, it got an Excellent-5 Star rating from all of us.
    :biggrin:

Lord Garth, gblews and Vger23 like this.
  18. Vger23

Wow!!