Deep Space Nine as a coin

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by tomswift2002, Jun 30, 2018.

1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

https://www.mint.ca/store/coins/ems...coloured-coin---mintage-4500-2018-prod3220073

Just a heads up on a Deep Space Nine related release, slated for August 1 (but shipping starts on July 30). This is the second Trek ship-shaped coin that the Canadian Mint has issued (the first was back in 2016 when the issued a $100 dollar coin in the shape of the NCC-1701, but squashed, almost as if you were looking at a photo or blueprint of the ship from the top and bottom, just like this coin, and that only had 1,000 coins minted) so this coin has a higher quantity, but at the same time it is very limited at just 4,500 coins minted for all of Canada and the world.

2. Gary8

Gary8 Ensign Newbie

Nice!

3. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Right now, that's $15.816 worth of silver after taking out the 0.01% impurity. Amazed it reads "20 DOLLARS" on it. But it doesn't look like "plain edge" to me... Some reader comments point out some understandable concerns as well. The use of plastic, given the price, is also disheartening.

$113.14USD is surely better spent toward a proper remastering of the show? Though it would cost more than $509,130 to do it all. It all helps, though.

kkt likes this.
  4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I was in a coin shop yesterday and I already got to see it in person. It looks really nice. The exterior is cut out like DS9s shape. And it looked really good floating in it’s package. I didn’t buy it as I already have it on order.

As for the 20 dollar face value, the Mint makes the The coins with a lower amount of silver content than their face value. It’s one of the reasons the penny was discontinued in 2012—the Mint couldn’t make the coins for less than the face value.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I still kinda wish I had bought the slip of latinum that came out last year (or so). But I don't need it. :)

XCV330 likes this.
  6. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks like it's easily lost and forgotten but it actually the coolest part of one's collection.