Contest: ENTER December 2017 Art Challenge - "Unfinished Business"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Cyfa, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

As my only idea for an Art Challenge - "Design a mentioned but not seen Star Trek alien" - was kind of covered with the entries from November's challenge (including my own), I set to scrabbling through the various art threads here, the themes of the previous challenges, and my note/sketchbook for inspiration. And I found it!

The December Challenge is: Complete a Star Trek themed piece of art work that you've started but not finished.

My note/sketchbook is full of unrealised designs, and I know some of you will have unfinished work from previous challenges judging by some of the comments. Or, if you are one of those people that always finish what you start (your self discipline and time management make me sick! :lol:), perhaps you had some other ideas that you abandoned in favour of your finished art?
    This is the ideal opportunity to finish something that's been tickling the back of your mind, or full on bugging you, before the end of the year. You can enter 2018 with a clear head - fresh for new challenges!

Conditions: You can only finish something that you have not worked on for a month or more. So, if you had an idea for November's challenge, but didn't get around to finishing it, you can't complete it for this challenge. But, any previous months/years are fair game.
    And your final entry should include the original piece of work as it appeared when it was abandoned, languishing in unfinished purgatory, lost amongst the pressing weight of ideas new...

As always, you have until the end of the month - 31st December - to complete your Unfinished Business! Good luck!

Sibyl, Michael and Lord Other like this.
  2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

That's a marvelous idea for a contest theme – especially for the end of the year – and I think I already have the right piece of work in mind that needs to be finished. :)

3. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

hmmmm....... :D

4. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

that's rather brilliant!

5. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

I may have just the project if I have enough time.

@Mark_Nguyen What'cha think?

6. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wholeheartedly approve of this scheme. :)

Mark

Sibyl likes this.
  7. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

The deadline is approaching - only a couple of days left to dust off your half-finished sketches, paintings, and/or models and complete them!
    If, like me you've had a really busy December, hopefully this last weekend will furnish you with time enough to come up with an entry for this month's art challenge. I'm going to get to work on mine now!

8. Sibyl

I hear you.

I have a favor, and only because of the time of the year and everyone's obligations...can we have a one-day extension, and let the voting begin on the 2nd? Most people have a free day (or at least don't work) on Monday, so if the deadline could be Monday night at midnight, I know I'd appreciate it, and I'm sure others would, as well.

I haven't even had a chance to open my files yet.

Lord Other likes this.
  9. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

- Absolutely, yes! I almost suggested it a couple of days ago because I hadn't found the time to start finishing anything - and even though I did start yesterday, I hadn't done very much before "obligations" arrived and demanded attention and Paw Patrol (Mayor Goodway and Chickaletta are hilarious) and other small child-related things! That was pretty much the whole day gone.
    We'd better check with the Mod, though :) - @Michael what do you think? A one day extension to the deadline, so people have until midnight 1st Jan to submit their finished "Unfinished Business"?

10. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Nah, you don't have to ask me, this contest is all yours. An extension is all fine by me. :)

By the way, here's my finished entry, complete with the requested original state of the work …

[​IMG]

Cyfa, Orac and Sibyl like this.
  11. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Great! Thanks, @Michael

So, the new deadline for this month's art challenge is midnight, Monday 1st January, so please post your entries in this thread by then. And remember to include the original unfinished piece of work as part of your final entry so we can see how far you've come. Good luck!

12. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

My final entry:

[​IMG]

:techman:

Cyfa, Michael, Orac and 1 other person like this.
  13. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

This is as finished as I'm going to get my entry:

[​IMG]

And I've just noticed the scrawl across the bottom right corner, but it's going to have to stay :)

P.S. If my map reading and time zoning are correct, one of the last places on Earth that it's midnight, are the Baker Islands in the South Pacific (UTC -12). You know, just in case anyone is thinking "Oh, no! Oh, no! I need a couple more hours!"? Well, you've probably got it. Unless you actually live on the Baker Islands, that is... [P.S. edit added 17:59 UTC 0]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Sibyl likes this.
  14. Sibyl

Unfortunately, I will not have an entry for this month's challenge, but I'd like to personally thank Cyfa for giving me the motivation to work on a project that I've wanted to do for the last 15 years.

You can see my current progress in my Scribble's Scribbles thread.

15. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Well, it's looking good so far, @Scribble :) I'm sorry we couldn't manage to find another couple of time-zones for you :lol:
    I'd better get to posting the voting post thingy...

Sibyl likes this.