Deathstroke animated series coming to CW Seed

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, May 16, 2019.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Deadline.com

I hope that they get Manu Bennett to voice Deathstroke.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The backstory they mention for Wilson doesn't seem to fit Arrowverse continuity. I guess they've given up on tying in animated webseries with that. Vixen was a close but imperfect fit, while Freedom Fighters: The Ray tried to be in the Arrowverse but ended up massively contradicting its version of the Ray and Earth-X (as well as having Mr. Terrific fly for some reason), and Constantine: City of Demons turned out to be completely unconnected to the NBC/Arrowverse version aside from starring Matt Ryan.

Hmm... City of Demons was essentially in continuity with Justice League Dark, which was in the larger DC animated-movie Batman/Justice League continuity. That has its own version of Deathstroke, voiced by Thomas Gibson in his first appearance and the late Miguel Ferrer in his second. I wonder if this might be in that continuity too.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

As much as I liked getting animated Arrowverse series, I think it makes more sense to tie any future series into the animated movies. It's a nice way to expand that universe a bit more, and it makes sense to tie animation into animation.
    I haven't run into comics Deathstroke anywhere yet, but I've liked the character in all of the adaptations I've seen him in, so I'm definitely interested in this.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't know -- in principle, I like the idea of a continuity being shared across media, like having live-action and animation or prose and comics as part of the same continuity. It's nice to see those variations on a theme, those different pieces all fitting together. The way Star Wars incorporates its animated shows with its live-action continuity (plus the books and comics) is cool, for instance.

In practice, however, it isn't always easy to pull off. When two ongoing works with very different production lead times try to coordinate -- like live-action TV shows and animated TV shows, or like Marvel movies and Marvel TV shows, or like Star Trek shows and novels -- it can be very hard for them both to keep pace with each other's developments, as we saw with the total failure of the two versions of the Ray and Earth-X to mesh. So maybe it's a wiser decision to keep them separate -- not because they're in different media, nothing wrong with that, but just because of the logistical difficulties.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral