Daylight, Saving?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mojochi, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seriously, so on November 1st we set our clocks back an hour. It was dark when I was going to work (6:30 AM), & doing so made it slightly more lit in the AM...... for only about 2 weeks!

Now it's back to being dark when I go to work, but also, the damn sun is setting, like NOW, at 4:30 in the afternoon. So I have to assume the daylight we're saving is not meant for this time of year, or it is an utter failure imho. So I guess in spring, we'll move them forward again, & that will give us our hour of sun back in the morning? I think??? & that's the daylight we're presumably saving?

The point is, isn't the winter the time of year where people are more sunlight & vitamin D deprived? Wouldn't it be more sensible for us to have that hour of sun later in the day, in the coming weeks? What is the modern thought behind continuing this nonsense?

Avro Arrow and StarCruiser like this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not modern thinking. It's just plain stupid and needs to be abolished. I hate how dark it is getting off of work at 4:30 in the afternoon and it's dark.

3. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

It's just one hour difference and I don't think it serves a purpose any more.

4. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I know I've expressed this here many times over the years, but I have long felt that they should ditch the switch (much catchier than "stop the steal", don't you think?) and just stay on Daylight Savings Time all year round.

Saskatchewan got rid of the time change a while ago, and Yukon stopped just this year... they didn't fall back at the beginning of November, and will permanently stay on Savings Time. The premier of BC has indicated that they're tired of waiting for the US, and they are now intending to implement the change next year whether or not Washington, Oregon and California does.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7434103/premier-john-horgan-bc-clocks-fall-back/

Now the rest of the provinces just need to fall in line too.

StarCruiser likes this.
  6. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

It had a purpose about 100 years ago - it no longer makes any practical sense. It's just a nuisance for most people now. I do know there are some people who seem to like it (can't figure out why..."flat earthers"?).

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maximizing daylight driving hours in the aggregate would be a rationale to determine whether to switch.

8. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

That would make sense, since DST is currently in effect in the U.S. for nearly eight months out of the year.

The standard objection to year-round DST is "But then children would be getting up and going to school in the dark!" Since kids seldom walk to school anymore in these overprotective, helicopter-parent times, I don't think that's really an issue. Besides, what about China? The country spans four time zones and yet it's officially on a single clock. There must be millions of Chinese who wake up and go to work or school before daybreak.

Oh, and it's Daylight Saving Time. Savings are what you keep in the bank.

DonIago, StarCruiser and Avro Arrow like this.
  9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The only even slightly reasonable argument I've heard to keep DST is so kids aren't going to school in the dark. Kids aren't walking anymore but they are waiting at bus stops.

But really it makes no sense. Especially when people's social circles have become globalized and not everyone's on it, it just creates scheduling confusion every time it shifts. It's bad enough as a programmer constantly needing your time based code to account for it. Where I live the sun sets as early as 4:10.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  10. DonIago

Currently setting at 4:20 here now, so by the time I'm done with work it's always dark. :/

11. JKM

JKM Commander Red Shirt

I really don't care how dark or light it is to be honest, but I have a body that has a serious internal clock. So it pisses me off after DST when for the first three or four months after this time change, I'm waking up at 5:30 every morning because my internal clock says I'm late for getting up for work. I then lay awake for the next 30 minutes because I know I'm about to have to get up at 6 and I can't fall back asleep. I probably get kinda pissy after DST but I've never asked anyone :rommie:

So it's almost been a month, it's still happening unless I got to bed at 1am which tricks it, but also leaves me even more sleep deprived. Uhg, stupid practice.

John Clark and StarCruiser like this.
  12. DonIago

Buying smart lights was one of the best things I ever did in this regard. I have them set to start turning on 30 minutes before I do, so I never have to deal with waking up in the dark.

13. Avro Arrow

Obviously not practical in real life, but just wearing my programmer hat, I would abolish time zones altogether. :)

StarCruiser and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  14. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd prefer to stay on Standard time. The earlier it gets dark, the earlier I go to bed and in turn, the earlier I get up. Plus, the longer the sun stays out, the hotter it is and nobody in their right mind would want that.

15. DonIago

The sun stays out for the same amount of time regardless of DST. As a Vermonter, I don't necessarily mind it being a bit hotter. :)

Avro Arrow likes this.
  16. Avro Arrow

I'm not sure I ever claimed to be in my right mind... :ouch:

17. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Move to California. You'll change your mind real quick.:bolian:

18. DonIago

No thanks, even here, the summers can get bruising enough! One aspect I didn't care for this year was having to run my AC during the daytime.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've never cared either way, doesn't affect me.

20. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Arizona guy here smugly asking, "What's Daylight Saving Time?". :)

StarCruiser likes this.