Davros in 2010?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Jim Steele, Jan 7, 2009.

?

Would you like to see Davros next year?

1. Yes, sans Daleks

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. Yes, Daleks included

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. No! Leave it a while

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  4. No! Never! He should be put to bed once and for all

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's safe to say we haven't seen the last of Davros, or indeed, the Daleks (will we ever? No!!!).

But I'm wondering, do you think we'll see him again under Steven Moffat, perhaps in series 5?

I'm hoping we will, I'd love to see what Grand Moff does with the character. What I'm hoping for is a character study, a Dalek-less story focusing on Davros, like the 6th Doctor Big Finish audio "Davros" (which is brilliant, and my favourite audio so far).

Any thoughts? Would you like to see Davros return, or should he (and his creations) be given a few years off?

2. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Too soon IMO.

Wait till either series 6 or a special to bring him back I say.

3. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

We will see the Daleks again in the next season for the same reason we've just seen the Cybermen - budget.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Davros without Daleks would be fun. I like the idea of their being no Daleks in S5 but wouldn't mind if they came back in S6, I trust Moffat to handle them a bit better than RTD (ie no more billion strong Dalek armies wiped out with a single slick of a switch)

5. Jim Steele

That's quite cynical... but yeah, you're probably right. Although I'd like to think the powers that be wouldn't run a sub-par Dalek story purely for cost reasons.

Although, the Cybermen skipped 2 whole series.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'd be happy with a Cyber story ever two seasons with a Dalek one in the interveneing seasons to be honest.

7. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

I'd be quite content to see no Daleks or Davros until S6 (at least). And I've the same hope as Starkers, that they'll be handled better. They've become a joke. One Dalek should be frightening. Billions wiped out easily is just weak writing in my opinion.

8. Jim Steele

I have to agree. Journey's End was the worst treatment of the Daleks since Remembrance. Or ever. And Davros was criminally underused.

That's why I think a Davros-only story would be a great bridge between Journey's End and Moffat's first Dalek show whenever he decides to do it.

9. JoeZhang

Is it cynical ? I just think it represents the realities under which the show is made.

10. Jim Steele

Well, I think there are a myriad of reasons we'll probably see them next year, not just budgetary.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well not always or we'd have a Slitheen 2 parter every year :lol:

What I want to know is when (if) the Sontarans will be back? I hope so...

12. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

a Davros solo episode would be good, ive been thinking about those romours about Sarah Jane having nightmares about Davros, I wonder if SJA could do an episode where nightmares become real, and for Sarah Jane that is Davros.

as for Budget in what way?

Dalek = 1 solo Dalek (ok fairly cheap)

Parting of the Ways = massive amounts of CGI Daleks, and the Dalek emperor, nothing cheap about that.

Army of Ghosts / Doomsday = the new Black Dalek, followed by the Gensis Arc, followed by some fire fight between Cybermen & Daleks.

Daleks in Manhattan / Evolution of the Daleks: ok the first of the two episodes were great cheap ill give you that, but EotD, a whole new Dalek design, im sure all that design work & mask building came cheap

The Stolen Earth/Journeys End =lots of Daleks, lots of CGI, a new Davros, a new design Dalek

the Daleks maybe a ratings dumb, the kind of thing the US would consider for a sweeps episode, but I would not call them cheap.

& the Sontarans, well 1 of them has appeared on SJA in 4 episodes, but yeah would be nice to see them back on mass.

13. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Julian Bleach can come back whenever he likes. Without his creations would be excellent.

14. Jim Steele

Totally, he made the best Davros since Michael Wisher imho. Although Terry Molloy was decent, Julian Bleach just brought the right mix of calculated anger and decay to the part.

15. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

As great as he was in last season's final episodes, I think he should have been left to his fate from the end of Genesis Of The Daleks.

16. Flibble

Flibble Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, it should be left for a while.

17. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

no, give em a rest for at least a year and bring back someone else like the Ice Warriors, Silurians or Rutans...

18. JoeZhang

But that's the point, the more they spent on Dalek sets and "costumes" , the more they will reuse them because of the investment... same with the cybermen - they will be back next year as well, you can count on it.

19. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

but each time the Daleks come back, something new happens, the hybrid Dalek Sec was a one off, Dalek Supreme would seem to be a one off, the Gensis Arc a one off, its only the generic gold Dalek, that is kept.

& to be frank I think they only made the Dalek Supreme so they could sell 18 inch remote control version of it.

20. Jim Steele

I really don't think that's as certain as a Dalek appearance, or at all. They were nowhere to be seen is series 3&4.