Daria - Brittany (Non Trek)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by USS Fardell, Oct 3, 2020.

1. USS Fardell

USS Fardell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Daria – Brittany
    Esteem of the Transfer Student

Brittany Taylor arrived at Lawndale High as she usually did, with her stepmother, Ashley-Amber dropping her off.
    “Have a good day, Sweetie,” Ashley-Amber said with a giggle.

“I shall!” As she got out of the car and Ashley-Amber drove away, she noticed another, unfamiliar car in the turning circle. ‘Did someone get a new car?’ she wondered as she twirled one of her pigtails. ‘Probably not,’ she concluded as she saw two girls emerge from the car. They were obviously sisters, but something told her that they were completely different. Maybe one of them was a sophomore?

“Class, we have a new student joining us today,” Mr. Anthony DeMartino said. “Please welcome Daria Morgendorffer. Daria raise your hand please.”

Brittany wasn’t that surprised. ‘So, which grade is the other sister in?’ she briefly wondered as Daria raised her hand.

“Well, Daria! As long as your hand raised…” Mr. DeMartino chuckled. “Last week we began a unit on westward expansion. Perhaps you feel it’s unfair to be asked a question on your first day of class.

“Excuse me?” Daria asked. She sounded either bored or annoyed. Brittany wasn’t sure.

“Daria, can you concisely and unemotionally sum up for us the doctrine of Manifest Destiny?”

“Manifest Destiny was a slogan popular in the 1840s. It was used by people who claimed it was God's will for the U.S. to expand all the way to the Pacific Ocean. These people did not include many Mexicans,” Daria answered.

‘She’s certainly a cynical one, isn’t she?’ Brittany thought.

“Very good, Daria. Almost... suspiciously good. All right, class. Who can tell me which war Manifest Destiny was used to justify?

‘Don’t choose Kevvy! Don’t choose Kevvy! Don’t choose Kevvy!’

“Kevin! How about you!”

“The Vietnam War?”

‘Wrong, Kevvy!’ Brittany thought.

“That came a little later, Kevin... a hundred years later. A lot of good men died in that conflict, Kevin. I believe we owe it to them to at least get the century right!

Kevin tried to think. “Uh… Operation Watergate?”

“Son, promise me you'll come back and see me some day when you've got the Heisman trophy and a chain of auto dealerships, and I'm saving up for a second pair of pants! Will you promise me that, Kevin?”

“Sure!”

“Can I come, too? I mean, if Kevin and I are still together,” Brittany asked.

“We will be, babe. We will be,” Kevin said.

Mr. DeMartino then changed his attention to her. “Ahh... Brittany. Can you guess which war we fought against the Mexicans over Manifest Destiny?”

She actually had an idea, but she didn’t want to embarrass Kevin. “Mmm... no.” It wasn’t as if these in-class interactions were graded.

“Please try, Brittany,” DeMartino said, almost pleading. Like perhaps she could do better?

“Uh... the Viet Cong war?” Brittany said, expanding upon what Kevin had said earlier.

Mr. DeMartino was then getting more annoyed. “Either someone gives me the answer, or I give you all double homework and a quiz tomorrow. I want a volunteer with the answer. Now!”

‘Double homework!’ Brittany thought. She had enough homework as it was.

Daria raised her hand.

“Daria, stop showing off!” Mr. DeMartino said.

Was Daria a showoff? Brittany wondered as she hoped someone else would come forward with the answer.

Jodie Landon raised her hand.

“Jodie?” DeMartino asked hopefully.

“The Mexican War.”

That evening, the Taylors were having dinner as they usually did.

“…And so, I have detention again!” Brittany’s younger brother, Brian groused.

“If you did what the teacher said, you wouldn’t be there!” his father, Steve said.

Brian grumbled.

“What about you, Brittany?” Ashley Amber asked. “How was your day?”

“Well, there’s this new girl in history who knows all the answers, but Mr. DeMartino hates her.”

“Sounds, interesting,” Steve commented, still annoyed at Brian getting detention.

“Why would the teacher hate her if she had all the answers?” Ashley Amber asked.

“He thought she was showing off.”

“Oh!” Ashley Amber said.

The phone rang. Steve answered it. “Hello?”

Mr. Taylor, this is Angela Li, the Principal of La-awndale High.”

“Yes. What is the reason for this call?” Steve asked. It was highly irregular for the Principal herself to be calling.

Your daughter, Brittany is an important part of the social fabric of our school. I’m aware she is already a participant in one extracurricular activity…

Steve interrupted. “What is it you want her to do?” He could see Brittany turn towards him.

I was getting to that, Mr. Taylor! New students started at our school today. However, some of them don’t seem to fit in as well as we would like. Given that Brittany is, sociable, she has been chosen to help them to adjust to life at La-awndale High.

“Sounds good,” Steve said. “So this will start tomorrow?”

Yes. Mr. Taylor. Tell her to come by the office tomorrow sometime and she’ll find out who she’s been assigned to.

“I’ll tell her right now.”

“Very good, Mr. Taylor. Bye.”

“Bye.”

“What was it, Daddy?” Brittany asked.

“Ms. Li would like you to help some new students who don’t seem to be fitting in.”

“Sure.”

“Just go to the office sometime tomorrow and you’ll find out who they want you to help.”

Brittany nodded. “I can help anyone fit in. How hard can it be?”

During lunch, Brittany knocked on the Principal’s office door. “Come in,” the Principal called.

“I’m here, Ms. Li,” Brittany said as she entered the office and sat down.

“Ah, Ms. Taylor, you have been chosen to help a fellow student become an effective part of this school’s student body.”

“Ooh…”

Ms. Li produced a piece of paper. “This is the girl you have been paired with.”

“Daria Morgendorffer?” Brittany read. “She seemed, unusual, yesterday.” She read further down the page. There was a direction to meet in one of the Language Arts classrooms after school that afternoon.

“You can go to lunch now.”

2. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

Looks like something my teen-aged nieces and God-daughters would read. Not my cup of tea, but it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

3. USS Fardell

Part 2
    Daria Morgendorffer was waiting when Brittany entered the classroom. “Hi, Daria,” she said cheerfully.

“You’re the one who Ms. Li wants to help me ‘fit in’?” Daria asked incredulously.

“Yes,” Brittany answered.

“What if I don’t want to fit in?” Daria asked.

Brittany sat opposite Daria. “Why wouldn’t you?” She held out her hand. “Brittany.”

“Of course.”

“Huh?” Brittany asked, as she twirled one of her pigtails. She wasn’t sure what Daria meant by that.

“A cheerleader named Brittany. How stereotypical,” Daria said in a monotone.

Brittany wasn’t sure what to make of Daria. There was one thing she was sure of however. “I’m more than a stereotype, Daria!” she said, trying not to make a squeak. “Why won’t you give yourself a chance to make a friend?”

Daria scoffed. “Why would I want to make a friend with someone who gets answers on American history wrong?”

Brittany gulped. Of course Daria would remember that. “Um. It would seem that way, but I didn’t want to answer.”

Daria wasn’t buying it. “Right. You’re saying that you did know?” she said with annoyance showing in her voice.

Brittany nodded. “Not everyone wants to show off their knowledge,” she said quietly.

“You’re not impressing me at the moment.”

“Then you can ask me any question you want. I’ll try to answer it.”

“Sure, given we are on the topic of American history; Where did Davy Crockett die?”

That was a tough one. Brittany twirled her hair again as she thought about it. But she did remember DeMartino mentioning Davy Crockett two weeks earlier, in connection with Texas breaking away from Mexico. She was about to just say ‘Texas’ when she remembered one of the westerns from Ashley Amber’s collection she had watched that summer. It had featured Davy Crockett. “Hmm, was it the Alamo?”

Daria was surprised. “You’re right.”

“Yes!”

“But that may be a lucky guess.”

Brittany sighed.

“You heard my explanation of Manifest Destiny. There was another incidence of American Expansion which coincided with another nation’s attempt at expansion. Name the leaders of both countries and the territory involved,” Daria said, with a smirk.

‘Think she can outsmart me? I’m not stupid and stuff!’ Brittany thought. This was getting nowhere. Was Daria going to just ask her more and more questions? “This isn’t supposed to be a test!”

“Can you answer it?”

Of course, she could! “Thomas Jefferson. Napoleon Bonaparte. Louisiana Purchase,” she said, her voice rising in pitch as she went on.

“That’s good,” Daria said. “Thing is, even if you aren’t as dumb as first impressions would indicate, I’m sure we won’t get along.”

“You won’t know until you try?” Brittany asked, giving a hopeful expression.

Daria sighed. “I got on well at my old school without fitting in. I doubt that hanging around you would help in any way.”

“Have you made a friend yet?”

“No.”

“Then we can talk more about ourselves.”

Daria thought for a moment. “Sure, but not here. Li seems like the type to bug the campus.”

“Actually, I think she has,” Brittany said as she twirled a pigtail.

Daria opened her eyes wider. “This is going to be an interesting few years.”

Daria was surprised to say the least. Her first impression of Brittany was that she was a dumb cheerleader. She supposed grilling her on American history may have been a little mean, but she didn’t want to have to get to know someone who was either dumb or willfully ignorant. “So, where are we going?” she asked, after leaving the classroom.

“There’s this great pizza place where most people from school hang out.”

“Pizza? I’m in!”

“I usually have it cheese-less, but you can have it any way you want.”

“Sure.”

As they walked out of the School, Daria asked. “So, did you sign up for this, or did Li ‘volunteer’ you.”

“She volunteered me,” Brittany answered.

“From what I saw of her yesterday, that doesn’t surprise me.”

“So, we’re driving?” Daria asked as they entered the school’s parking lot.

“Yes. Once I got my license I started driving to school,” Brittany answered. She lead the way to her convertible.

“I suppose it beats the bus,” Daria quipped.

“Of course. I take it to the car wash every second week. I don’t think the bus’s get washed once a term, if that.” Brittany opened the door, and invited Daria to sit in the passenger seat.

It appeared that Daria was uncomfortable with the top down, but she wasn’t going that fast. “Are you OK?” she asked “With the top down?”

Daria held back her hair. “I’m fine,” she mumbled.

Brittany grabbed two spare hair ties from one of the cup holders. “Here.”

Daria looked at the hair ties before taking them. “Thanks.” She used one of them to tie her hair back in a low ponytail. That didn’t stop her bangs flying all over the place, but she seemed to enjoy the drive more.

It only took five minutes for them to get to the Pizza place, where there were already other, older, cars parked. Many of the students, it seemed had second hand cars, although Daria was sure Brittany’s car was bought new.

“We’re here,” Brittany said.

“Cool,” Daria said as she brushed her bangs straight with her fingers. “Let’s go order the Pizza’s.”

‘Somehow, I knew she wouldn’t want cheese-less,’ Brittany thought as she got out of the car.

4. USS Fardell

Part 3
    Once they had ordered their pizza’s they found a booth. “So, we were going to talk about ourselves?” Brittany asked.

“Yes,” Daria answered.

“So…”

“You can start.”

“Sure. As you can guess, I like sports…” Brittany began.

Daria wasn’t sure. Brittany did seem nice, but she wasn’t sure she wanted a cheerleader as a friend. She thought for a few moments after Brittany finished telling her about herself. ‘So far, Lawndale is better than that place in Texas.’ She reflected for a few more seconds. “As you may have already guessed, I’m rather cynical and sarcastic, using the latter as a kind of shield.”

“So you’re saying you don’t want to be a friend?” Brittany asked, sounding less ‘hip’ than earlier.

“No, I’m telling you what to expect. Given that you have been friendly since you entered that classroom, I’m willing to try to make friends with you. Most people would have been put off by the way I acted.”

“I was annoyed about the history quiz.”

“I could see that,” Daria said.

“Go on.”

“Right. I grew up in a small town in Texas…”

Daria finished talking about herself (at least, what she wanted to share at the moment) and the Pizza. “Thanks for hearing me out,” she said.

“That’s OK,” Brittany responded. “So, Highland was rough?”

“Very rough,” Daria answered. “I’m relieved to be in a safer place, like Lawndale, even if it’s seems like it will be boring.”

“Lawndale may seem boring, but there are things to do if you look for them.”

“But how many of those involve sports?”

“Less than you may think,” Brittany said with a wry expression. “I don’t like all sports.”

‘It seems that we have that in common. The use of wit, although it seems she doesn’t use it often.’ Daria then looked at her watch. 5:19. “Getting a little late.”

Brittany looked at the time herself. “Would you like me to drop you home?”

Daria was sure she would take time to find her way home if she went by herself, given that she didn’t know Lawndale that well yet. “Sure.”

Brittany parked in front of a large red brick house on Glen Oaks Lane. “So, I’ll see you tomorrow?” she asked.

“This afternoon was better than I expected,” Daria responded. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” She got out of the car and gave a brief wave before walking towards the house.

‘Cool!’ Brittany thought as she drove off.

Brittany arrived home to see that her father was home early. “Did something happen?” she asked.

“Oh nothing happened,” he answered. “I was just curious as to how the meeting with that other student went.”

“It went well, although she’s a little unusual.”

“Unusual, how?”

“I meant, she’s shy and cynical of everything,” Brittany answered. That was all she was going to say, so she headed up to her room.

The next day, Daria saw Brittany approaching with another cheerleader. ‘Oh boy!’ she thought. ‘Of course, Brittany would want to introduce me to others in her circle.’

“Hi, Daria. This is my friend, Donna.”

“Hi, Daria. Brittany said you are new here,” Donna said, her short red hair bobbing.

“Yes. We moved to Lawndale last week.” Daria then saw a flash of more familiar red hair nearby. Her sister, Quinn, being her usual self.

“So, like, what do you like to do after school?” a boy asked her.

“Oh, nothing special. Go to the movies... or, like, a theme park... or out for a really fancy meal now and then... or maybe go to a concert, if, like, I know somebody's got good seats and is renting a limo and stuff,” Quinn answered.

“Someone’s moving in for the kill,” Donna murmured, before turning her attention back to Daria.

Brittany also looked in Quinn’s direction briefly.

“Tell me about it,” Daria groused in response to Donna’s comment. “That’s my sister.”

“Eep!” Brittany let out.

“We don’t get along,” Daria admitted.

“So you’ve got any brothers or sisters?” the boy asked.

“I’m an only child,” Quinn lied.

“That’s not right!” Brittany exclaimed. She was then calmed by Donna placing her hand on her shoulder.

“It’s been like that for a while,” Daria said.

“I may not get along with my brother either, but I wouldn’t deny that we’re related,” Brittany said.

“Nor would I,” Donna said. “Except that I have two younger sisters.”

“It’s been happening for a few years. But let’s talk about something else.”

As they moved down the corridor, Brittany wondered why Daria’s sister didn’t want to admit that she had a sister. ‘I just met Daria, I don’t want to pry.’ She decided to follow Daria’s suggestion to talk about something else. “So, coming to the Pizza place again, this afternoon?”

“Certainly,” Daria answered.

“That’s where you went yesterday?” Donna asked.

“Yes,” Brittany answered.

“By the way, do you have to report to Ms. Li about whether I’m fitting in?” Daria asked.

“Not until tomorrow,” Brittany answered.

“Good. Then that’s what we can talk about this afternoon,” Daria suggested.

“Sure.”

“But now… Donna, have you and Brittany been friends long?”

“Since fifth grade, why?”

“Curiosity. Also wondering whether I could try to make more than one friend.”

Brittany thought for a moment. It was clear that Daria had done a lot of thinking since the previous afternoon. “Of course you can,” she said, trying to be encouraging.

Daria gave a small smile. Then the bell for the next class rang.

Brittany was waiting in the parking lot for Daria as Kevin came up. “Babe? You didn’t say how it went with that Brain chick.”

“She has a name, Kevvy.”

“Um, is it, Dora?”

“Daria, and it seems it will take a while for her to fit in.”

“Oh!” Kevin said. “She’s coming now.”

Daria came up. “Is Kevin coming to?”

“Not with us. He has his own jeep.”

“Going where?”

“The Pizza place.”

“All right!”

5. USS Fardell

Part 4
    Daria sighed as she followed Brittany, Kevin and Donna into the Pizza place. She took Brittany aside after they ordered the pizzas. “Do you think you can tell Ms. Li that I’m fitting in?”

“Sure.”

“Cool.”

“So, Daria. You just arrived in Lawndale?” Kevin asked.

“Just last week,” Daria answered.

‘Where’s he going with this?’ Brittany wondered. But then, Kevin usually just spoke whatever came onto his mind.

“What do you think of the school so far?”

“It’s… better than my last school. That is all I’ll say for now. Even so, it seems a bit too sports oriented.”

“What do you mean?” Kevin asked.

Donna gave a look of concern.

‘I don’t want Kevvy and Daria to argue! Not yet! I don’t know what Daria would think if Kevvy and I have one of our breakups. Would she think I’m shallow?’ She waited to hear what Daria would say in response to Kevin’s question.

“I mean, my impression is that the school pushes sports more than the academic side.”

“Of course, Daria,” Kevin said. “Lawndale’s a football town!”

Daria sighed.

Brittany was still unsure of what to say, but it seemed Donna wasn’t.

“It’s not that sports are all Ms. Li focuses on,” she began.

However, Daria interrupted. “She also focuses on security. I have noticed the cameras.”

“That’s true,” Donna allowed. “However, some academics are emphasized. There are academics focused clubs.”

“Boring!” Kevin declared.

“Maybe to you, Kevvy, but others don’t find it so,” Brittany said.

“I’m not interested in extracurricular activities,” Daria stated. She thought for a moment. “At least, not until college.”

“Wouldn’t hurt to look?” Brittany asked.

“I will have a look, but I’m sure there won’t be anything I’d be interested in. Is that something else Ms. Li pushes?”

‘You’d think she wouldn’t?’ Brittany thought. It seemed that Daria’s cynicism was preventing her from interacting with others. Another reason Ms. Li had done what she did, although Mrs. Manson may not have picked up on it. ‘Or maybe she did?’

“I’d say so,” Donna said, answering Daria’s question. “So, you didn’t get involved in extracurricular activities at your old school?”

“If I was forced to,” Daria answered with an edge to her voice.

“Eap!” Brittany said with an apologetic tone as Donna frowned. ‘Oops!’

“As you can guess, I’m not that enthusiastic about school other than the academic aspect.”

“Maybe if you had friends join you in the activities?” Donna asked.

“Maybe,” Daria admitted. “But there is a principle involved.” She sighed. “But let’s talk about something else.”

“Sure,” Brittany said.

“So, Donna, you know Brittany and I spent yesterday afternoon getting to know each other?”

“Yes. So, you want us to do the same?”

Daria nodded.

Donna listened as Daria told her of the town in Texas she had grown up in. (It seemed that she and Quinn weren’t born there.) It seemed that the town had seen better days. ‘It definitely has seen better days.’ She was thankful that she grew up in a town like Lawndale. There were many things Daria was hiding, but she didn’t want to pry.

“So, that is it,” Daria concluded.

“Thanks,” Donna said. “As Brittany may have said…”

Daria interrupted. “It’s obvious you would be interested in sports. But also, different sports than Brittany?”

“Yes. Not only am I on the cheerleading squad, but also on the track team…”

Donna finished telling Daria what she wanted to say. Not least because Kevin looked rather bored, and she knew how Kevin acted when he was bored. She didn’t want him to cause a scene.

“Again, first impressions aren’t indicative,” Daria said.

“Obviously,” Donna said with a slight laugh.

“So, you think that I should open up more, is that it?”

“It’s your choice,” Donna said.

“Of course. But I don’t find it easy to open up to others.”

“That’s obvious,” Brittany added.

“In any case, it’s time to go home,” Daria decided.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Daria said as she got out of the car.

“See ya, Daria.”

“Have a good time at that Birthday Dinner.”

“I will, thanks.”

As Brittany drove away, Daria pondered the information Brittany had given her about her family. ‘She doesn’t get along with her brother, yet likes her stepmother.” She shook her head and turned to go into the house.

It was still early in the evening when the Taylors arrived at Governor’s Park for Ashley-Amber’s birthday dinner. Sure, 26 wasn’t a real milestone age, but Steve thought that a family outing would be a good idea. It had been a while since such had happened. As they walked into the restaurant, he looked at his family. Both Ashley-Amber and Brittany were dressed up elegantly in simple blue dresses. Both had also done up their hair differently to usual, with Ashley Amber wearing hers in a French plait and Brittany wearing two buns in lieu of her usual pigtails.
    Brian, however, was looking uncomfortable in his suit. Ashley-Amber had told him that it took ages to put his tie on. He hoped he wasn’t going to play up too much. He came up to the reception desk. “Four for Taylor.”

“Right this way.”

“…Then her sister said that she was an only child!” Brittany said. She was still annoyed at her.

“I’m not sure what you could do about that, honey,” Ashley-Amber said.

“I know,” Brittany responded.

“So, it’s going well then?” her father asked.

“Yes. I’m going to tell Ms. Li that she is starting to fit in.”

“That’s good then.” He was about to say more, but Brian chose that moment to play up by throwing his remaining food.

“Hey!”

Brittany sighed.

6. USS Fardell

Part 5
    Angela Li heard the knock at her office door. “Come in,” she said.

Brittany entered. “Hi, Ms. Li.”

“Ah, Ms. Taylor! You’re here for an update?”

“Yes,” Brittany answered as she took a seat.

“So, how is Ms. Morgendorffer progressing?”

Brittany handed a sheet over to the Principal. “It was difficult at first, but we made friends. She has also got along with Kevin and Donna. She’s starting to fit in.”

Ms. Li read the sheet. She saw that Daria had started to fit in. “It seems to be in order, Ms. Taylor.”

“Good.”

“However, I’ll need to interview her to see if things are in order on her end.”

“Right.”

Brittany noticed Daria as she approached the table. “Hey, Daria.”

“Hey, Brittany,” Daria responded as she sat with Brittany, Donna, Kevin and a gothic girl whom she didn’t know yet.

“How did it go with Ms. Li?” Donna asked.

“She said that I ‘fitted in better than expected,’ and that I don’t need to do the Peer Support Program full time.

“That’s great news,” Donna said.

“Yeah,” Brittany said.

Daria took a bite from the ‘meatloaf’ and looked to the goth. “I’ve seen you in class,” she said.

“Daria, this is my friend, Andrea,” Brittany said.

“Brittany told me that you thought she was stereotypical,” Andrea said. “I don’t think a stereotypical cheerleader would keep hanging out with someone like me.”

‘They aren’t going to let me live it down, aren’t they?’ Daria mused.

“However,” Andrea added. “She also said you were willing to look past your preconceived notions.”

“I came to Lawndale not expecting to make friends, but Brittany managed to get through my shell.”

“Cool,” Andrea said. “That’s all she really said,” she added with a look at Brittany. “Other than you being from a bad town in Texas.”

“It’s more rough than Lawndale that’s for sure…”

The next day, Ms. Li called up Brittany and Daria at Assembly. “And once again, the bake sale was a tremendous success. We raised more than $400, which was subsequently stolen from the office, but I am confident we will get that money back. In a related note, the school nurse will be visiting homerooms tomorrow to collect DNA samples. Now, our Peer Support Program has proven successful, with one misfit transfer student being able to connect with a couple other students. Here is Brittany Taylor with an explanation.

Brittany gave a succinct explanation of the Program, before handing over to Daria.

“Thanks, Brittany. I have to say, that I hadn’t expected to make friends in Lawndale, but I now know that judging on first impressions isn’t the way to approach moving to a new school. But then a family environment in which the younger sister isn’t willing to acknowledge the elder sister as such wouldn’t be conducive to one’s social development, wouldn’t it, Quinn.”

Brittany could see, Daria’s sister, Quinn, shrink down between the two boys she was sitting between.

“Thank you,” Daria said before going back to the seat.

“That was, an unexpected twist,” Ms. Li said.

“You’re going to annoy Quinn more?” Brittany asked Daria as Ms. Li went on.

“Not today. She’s embarrassed enough. For now,” Daria said with a smirk.

‘It’s just beginning,’ Brittany thought.

7. USS Fardell

Party Time Part 1
    “I don’t know why you had to drop me,” Brian complained as Brittany turned the corner to his school.

“Because Ashley-Amber has to go to an audition in Oakwood, and Dad to an auction in Middleton,” Brittany explained.

“I could have got the bus!”

“Do you even know where your bus pass is?” Brittany asked.

“Um…”

“I knew you lost it!”

“I could’ve found it,” Brian objected.

Brittany sighed. “We’re here!” she said as she pulled up in the drop off zone. “Try to behave yourself!”

Brian stuck out his tongue as he got out of the car. Brittany sighed as she drove off.

Brittany and Daria were in art class. “I’ll be having a party Saturday night,” Brittany said.

“Parties aren’t really my thing,” Daria said. “I’ve been fine with making friends with you, Donna and Andrea.”

“You don’t have to hang out with everyone. Besides, it would provide another chance to embarrass Quinn.”

“That’s certainly a plus.”

The teacher, Claire Defoe came over to look at their work. “I see you’ve improved, Brittany.”

“Thanks,” Brittany said. She may have got perspective right, but it seemed she lacked the patience to get the other aspects of drawing right. The landscape didn’t seem right.

“The chiaroscuro has improved, but it still needs work,” Defoe added. She moved to Daria. “Yours is about the same.”

“The glasses don’t help with the depth of field vision,” Daria admitted. “I’m more of a writer than an artist.”

“Both of you are still good. A little basic, perhaps, but good.”

“Thanks,” Daria said, feeling encouraged. “Still, I would leave it to others to do the illustrations.”

“Not everyone is suited for that,” Defoe said.

“So, about the party,” Brittany asked again, once Defoe had moved on.

“You’re inviting Andrea too?”

Brittany smirked. “She comes to all my parties, and I go to hers, when she holds them. I also need someone to help set up. Kevin is useless in that regard.”

Daria sighed. “I’ll come.”

After school, Donna and Brittany arrived at the Morgendorffer’s house. Brittany rang the doorbell. “Daria has mentioned she’s a writer,” Donna said. “But she hasn’t really said anything about what she writes about.”

“She’ll share if she wants to share,” Brittany said.

The door was then opened by a middle aged man. “Quinn! Your friends are here!” he called out.

“Actually, we’re Daria’s friends,” Brittany corrected.

“Really?” he asked.

“Yes,” Donna said.

“Daria! Your friends are here,” Mr. Morgendorffer called out. “She’ll be right down,” he added as he held the door open.

“Daria’s friends?” Quinn said as she came down the stairs. “How did Daria become friends with cheerleaders?”

“I suppose she didn’t tell you,” Brittany said. Something about Quinn’s tone had gotten on her nerves.

“She doesn’t tell me anything! I’m certainly not her beeper!”

“What?” Donna asked, confused.

“They are my friends, Quinn,” Daria said from the top of the stairs in a tone that brooked no argument.

Nervous, their father went back to watching the TV on one of the nearby lounges. “OK,” he said.

Daria and Quinn passed each other on the stairs as the latter went back up, giving her sister a thoughtful look.

“Let’s go to the kitchen,” Daria said.

“Good idea,” Brittany said.

Quinn wasn’t sure what to make of what just happened. Daria was up to something. She was sure of it. ‘Maybe those cheerleaders aren’t the usual cheerleaders,’ she thought. Maybe it was something she could ask Sandi about.

Brittany and Donna sat at the kitchen table while Daria looked in the fridge. “Carrot sticks and soda?” she asked.

“Is that Quinn’s snacks?” Brittany asked.

“Yes,” Daria answered.

“I’ll have some of them, but I’ll have what you’re having?” Brittany responded.

“Sure,” Daria said as she got out the cola as well as the soda. She smirked as she took out a third of the remaining carrot sticks.

“The same,” Donna added.

“Do you usually plan your parties?” Daria asked.

“I didn’t use to, but I found that they got out of control,” Brittany answered. “Hopefully that won’t happen this time.”

“Maybe not inviting the freshmen would be a good idea,” Donna said.

“Oh no! I am inviting the freshmen. It’s the upperclassmen who won’t get invited. It’ll just be sophomores and freshmen,” Brittany said.

“Sure,” Donna said.

“That is still a large number of people. Lawndale High seems fairly large,” Daria added.

“About 700 students and 80 staff,” Donna said.

“It would be less than 100 at the party,” Brittany added.

“That’s still a lot of people,” Daria said nervously.

“Don’t worry. Andrea will be helping too.”

Jake Morgendorffer heard the door bell ring again. “Who could that be?” Maybe it was one of Quinn’s friends. His clients wouldn’t come to the house, would they? Suppressing a shudder, he went to the door and found a girl dressed in dark clothes. “Um, you’re not here for Quinn? Right?”

“No, I’m here to the see Daria,” the girl said in an annoyed tone.

“Oh! She’s in the kitchen with her two other friends,” Jake said in a welcoming tone.

“Thanks,” the girl said.

“You’re welcome, um…”

“Andrea.”

8. USS Fardell

Party Time Part 2
    Donna saw Andrea come into the kitchen. “You’re here. Good,” she said.

“Your father asked if I was here for your sister,” Andrea said to Daria as she sat at the table. She looked at the food on the table. “Carrot sticks.”

“One way of annoying her. Dad can get confused. He also thought Brittany and Donna were Quinn’s friends.”

“That explains that,” Andrea said. “So, you’ve started planning the party.”

“Yes.”

“Cool,” Andrea said.

“Donna and I will buy the food and drinks,” Brittany said.

“As you usually do,” Andrea said with slight mirth.

“Of course,” Donna said.

“And Daria can help with the set up.”

“I can do that,” Daria said, seeing that Brittany was easing her into the idea.

“Very good,” Brittany responded.

“Another thing,” Donna said, as she picked up another carrot stick. “Do you want Quinn to come?”

“If you want to be party to another humiliation, then yes,” Daria answered.

“How much of a humiliation?” Andrea asked.

“Enough for her to stop denying that I’m her sister,” Daria answered.

Donna thought about that. It seemed that it would have the opposite effect, that it would reinforce Quinn’s behaviour rather than cause it to stop. “So Quinn’s coming,” she asked Brittany.

“She’s coming,” Brittany said.

“So, what is Andrea doing?” Daria asked.

“Choosing the music,” Andrea answered. “You’ll find that Lawndale teens favour a wide mix of genres, rather than just Pop,” she then said to Daria’s look of surprise.

“I see,” Daria said.

Donna smiled. ‘Another way Lawndale has surprised her.’

“So, it will be on Saturday night?” Daria asked.

“Yes. Ashley-Amber will still be home on Friday night,” Brittany answered.

“Oh, so you don’t want them to know?” Daria asked.

“In case it does get out of control,” Brittany added.

“Of course.”

They talked more about the party before just talking as the friends they were, with Daria slowly coming out of her shell more. This camaraderie was interrupted by Daria’s mother coming into the kitchen, having come home half an hour after Andrea had come over. “Oh, you must be Andrea, Brittany and Donna,” she said.

“Yes, I’m Brittany.” She indicated both Donna and Andrea in turn introducing them to Mrs. Morgendorffer.

“I’m happy Daria has made friends,” Mrs. Morgendorffer said. There was something about her expression that made Brittany think that there was more to the statement than she let on. She looked to Daria, but she had her usual neutral expression.

“Yes. I think she has found Lawndale to be better than she expected it to be,” Andrea said guardedly.

“She has said that,” Mrs. Morgendorffer said whilst glancing at her daughter.

“Although your husband was a little surprised that we were her friends. He thought we were Quinn’s,” Donna said.

“He did?” Mrs. Morgendorffer asked.

Brittany nodded.

“Well, consider that Daria hasn’t really had friends until now. And Quinn is rather outgoing.”

“That’s understandable,” Andrea said.

“In any case, it’s time to begin preparing for dinner.”

“Don’t we usually just have frozen lasagne?” Daria asked.

“We’ll be having that, but there will be frozen vegetables too,” her mother said.

“Of course.”

Quinn then entered the kitchen. “Mom. Sandi says there’s a party on this Saturday night.”

“Word is already spreading,” Donna whispered.

Mrs. Morgendorffer perked up on hearing both Quinn and Donna. “What was that?” she asked both of them, although she was mostly looking at Quinn.

‘She didn’t miss that,’ Brittany noted to herself. ‘Certainly more on the ball than Ashley-Amber is.’ That wasn’t to say that Ashley-Amber was just a dimbo of course.

“A party this Saturday night. In Crewe Neck,” Quinn answered.

“I see,” Mrs. Morgendorffer responded. She turned back to Donna. “What do you know about this?”

“Actually, Mrs. Morgendorffer, it’s Brittany’s party,” Donna clarified.

“Is it?” Quinn asked.

“So, Daria is going to this party?” Mrs. Morgendorffer asked, glancing between Daria and Brittany.

“I’m going to be helping Brittany with it,” Daria answered in a wary tone.

Mrs. Morgendorffer smiled. “Good, Daria. We’ll talk more about this later,” she said in a tone that brooked no argument.

Daria nodded.

“And, this party isn’t going to get out control, is it?” Mrs. Morgendorffer asked Brittany.

“No, Mrs. Morgendorffer. I have learned my lesson,” Brittany answered.

“I hope so. I know how uncontrolled those parties can get.”

Brittany arrived home at the same time as her father. “Late practice?” he asked.

“No, I was at a friend’s place.”

“Daria is it?” her father asked.

“Yes.”

“That’s good then.”

Ashley-Amber saw Brittany enter the kitchen. “Dinner will be ready soon,” she said, turning from the steaming pot on the stove.

“That’s good. It’s been a long day.”

“I know you’re planning something for this weekend.”

“Of course, but it will be small,” Brittany said.
    But Ashley-Amber knew that Brittany did not do those things small. “Just make sure the house isn’t a mess,” she said quietly with a smile on her face. She remembered what it was like to be that age.

The next morning, Daria met Brittany at the door. “Good Morning.”

“Good Morning, Daria.”

“Mom says I have to watch Quinn at the party, make sure she doesn’t get into trouble.”

“Is she likely to?” Brittany asked.

“Not that likely. She knows how to look after herself,” Daria said. ‘May as well tell her,’ she thought. “It’s more likely that she’ll cause boys to fight over her.”

“Oh!” Brittany said. “Don’t worry. Andrea can break them up. She may not like doing so, but she can.”

“And seeing her squirm when Mom laid down the law about it was worth It,” Daria smirked.

“No doubt.”

Saturday seemed to come around rather quickly. Ashley-Amber reminded Brittany that the state of the house was her responsibility. “If the house is in a state, I will help you clean it, but only if it’s not likely to be clean by the time your father gets home.”

“I understand, but my friends will help in that case.”

“Including Daria?”

Brittany twirled her hair. “I think so.”

Soon, Ashley-Amber had left to go to another audition and Donna arrived with some of the food for the evening. “You have informed the gatehouse of the evening’s activities?” she asked.

“An hour ago,” Brittany answered.

“Of course.”

9. USS Fardell

Party Time Part 3
    At the same time, Daria and Andrea arrived at the Crewe Neck gate house. “We’re here for Brittany Taylor’s party,” Andrea announced.

“Names?” the guard asked.

“You know me; Andrea Hecuba-Thorne.”

“Of course, but formalities, you know.”

“Of course,” Andrea said with a small smile.

“Daria Morgendorffer.”

“You can both go in.”

“Thanks,” Andrea said.

“You’re here just in time!” Brittany exclaimed as Daria and Andrea entered the kitchen. “Kevin called and said he’ll be early. I’ll likely be occupied making sure he doesn’t mix up the chips.”

“What about Donna?” Daria asked.

“She’s already putting out the food.”

“Right.”

Half an hour later the sophomores and freshmen began to arrive. “Quick, Andrea. Start the music!” Brittany directed.

“On it,” Andrea said. She put on some pop music that she didn’t like, but Brittany and Donna did.

“So, I said just because people are cliquey and snotty is no reason not to like them,” Quinn said to one of the three boys who had been trying to gain her attention since she had started at Lawndale two weeks earlier.

They all agreed with her.

‘Now, where’s Daria?’ she wondered. “Jamal?”

“It’s Jamie!”

“Whatever. Could you look for my distant cousin?”

“Who?” he asked.

“That girl who was following me earlier this week?”

“Sure!” the boy said. He went off.

Jeffy looked confused. “Isn’t she your sister?”

“No! Get me a soda! Now!”

“Sure!” Jeffy said as he dashed off.

Tori Jericho found Sandi Griffin, who had arrived after her. “Your suspicion is correct. That new girl who was up at that assembly is here.”

“What is Brittany up to?” Sandi asked, not for the first time. “Then we will, like, cause a ruckus.”

Tori sighed. “I knew you would say that!”

Jamie White quickly found Daria. She was helping Donna pour drinks. ‘I don’t know why Quinn wanted me to find her,’ he thought. “Hi, Daria,” he said.

“Hi,” Daria said.

“If you don’t mind, Jamie. We’re a little busy at the moment,” Donna said. “You can come back later.”

“Quinn wanted to know where Daria was,” Jamie admitted.

“Then you can tell her to stop bothering me!” Daria said. “But when I have time, I will get her back.”

Jamie wasn’t sure what to think of that response. “Sure.”

Jeffy Brown-Mercer grabbed a soda can from a chiller in the kitchen. He saw Brittany telling Kevin not to mix up the chips. ‘Nothing new there,’ he thought. He then dashed back to where Quinn was.

But Quinn had moved. “Huh? Where did she go?” Jeffy asked himself. He started looking for her.

‘Just because people are snotty and cliquey is no reason not to like them,’ Quinn thought as she located Sandi and Tori talking near one of the ceramic tigers. She was sure she had overheard someone say that they were great!

“Quinn?”

She turned and saw Joey. She may have sent Jeffy and the other one away, but not him. “Yes, Joey?”

“Would you like a dance?”

“Not yet. But you can get me some crisps.”

“Sure!”

10. USS Fardell

Part 4
    Daria watched Jamie leave. “Quinn’s already causing trouble!”

“I’ll tell Andrea,” Donna responded.

“Good.”

Donna quickly found Andrea.

“I’ll find her,” Andrea said once Donna had explained what was going on.

Jamie came back to where Quinn was, and found Joey dancing with her. ‘I want to dance with her!’ he exclaimed.

“No! I’m here!” Joey said.

Quinn stopped dancing. “Joey, you can go get me a soda.”

“You sure?”

“Yes!”

Joey then disappeared. Jamie came up to Quinn. “Can I dance with you?”

“Did you find Daria?”

“She and Donna were pouring drinks.”

“Were they?” Quinn asked with a mischievous glint in her eye.

‘What’s she going to do?’ Jamie wondered. Whatever she wanted to do he’d like to dance with her first. “She also said to stop bothering her.”

“No chance of that!”

“So, dance?”

“Sure.”

Joey looked for crisps. ‘Crisps?’ he wondered. What did Quinn mean by ‘crisps’?

Andrea found Quinn, dancing with Jamie White. She could see that Jeffy Brown-Mercer was close by, looking annoyed. “Quinn Morgendorffer!” she called.

Quinn stopped dancing, which caused Jamie to be annoyed as well. “What is it?” she asked in a peevish tone.

“Your sister doesn’t want you to bother her. She’s busy helping Brittany to host the party.”

“I don’t have a sister.”

“I’m not stupid! Whatever reason you’re disowning her is no business of mine, but I know Daria’s your sister.”

“I’m not going to cause a ruckus,” Quinn said, neither confirming nor denying the truth of what Andrea had said.

But Andrea knew what Quinn said was short of the truth. “I know you’re up to something. Daria does too.”

“But you have no proof, or whatever,” Quinn said as she turned back to Jamie. They continued to dance.

‘I’ll keep an eye on you,’ Andrea decided. Quinn had proclaimed herself a troublemaker in her eyes.

But Quinn wasn’t the only source of trouble… Sandi and Tori were also trying to find out what Daria and Brittany were up to. At least Sandi was. Tori was dancing. “It’s the soul train. Beep, beep, like, get on board,” Sandi said to Tori.

“Huh?”

“You can dance later,” Sandi said. “We need to find out what Brittany’s up to.”

“Spoilsport,” Tori grouched.

“Now, I know Quinn’s here,” Sandi said.

“I pointed her out to you and Tiffany earlier!”

“Of course.”