Daleks in the Lego Batman Movie

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Feb 12, 2017.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

They're not refered to by name though just called "British Robots". Hope the Nation Estate got paid this time, unlike for "Looney Tunes: Back In Action"...

Pindar likes this.
  2. φ of π

φ of π Captain Captain

But... Daleks aren't robots. They're tanks driven by evil aliens.

Jedman67 likes this.
  3. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Batman is an unreliable narrator. Particularly here.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    Pindar likes this.
  4. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I expect they got a ton of money from the Lego Dimensions licencing.

5. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, made me wonder where hell GlaDos was the whole time.

Jedman67 likes this.
  6. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I suppose they can claim fair-use since it's a comedy.

7. Mr Soak

Mr Soak Commodore Commodore

It's not a satire or parody of Doctor Who, so not really.

If it's a parody of anything, it's Batman, and the inherent mayhem of playing with Lego.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

One imagines the original deal gives them carte blanche to use them as they will. Sure they're not called Daleks but they clearly are Daleks (even saying exterminate) so if they haven't got a deal nailed down I could see the Nation Estate having a case.

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Aren't the name "Dalek" and the images of Daleks owned by two different parties?

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

They are. The Nation estate owns the word "Dalek," the BBC owns the look. It's thought that the BBC can use the look of the Daleks freely without the voice.

11. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

They filed off the serial numbers, though. No different from what was just done with Renegades. It's kind of like Dr. Evil vs. Donald Pleasance as Blofeld from 007. It's obvious what they're supposed to be and yet by filing off the serials they're probably in the clear. Now, if they sold lego sets of them, then it would probably cross the line. But as a cultural in-joke in a comedy I think it's just too far afield to be lawsuit-grade.

12. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

But that's why the thing: Lego has sold an official Doctor Who set with two Daleks.

13. Mr Soak

The Lego TARDIS set had (along with the Eleventh & Twelfth Doctors and Clara) a weeping angel and two Daleks; a pack for Lego Dimensions had a Cyberman and an Dalek, although the Daleks were built differently in each set.

EDIT - Given the involvement of Who actors in Dimensions, I'm expecting Nick Briggs to reprise the voices in the new movie. And "British robots" may merely be what Batman himself calls them in the movie, not knowing what they actually are.

14. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, Batman says the line in a rapid succession of introductions, followed by "ask your nerd friends!" I think the omission of the name is a deliberate joke, as is calling them robots when they actually aren't.

15. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. The Nth Doctor

Ah, cool. Thanks for the link (and clarification that the Joker said the line, not Batman).

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it was him, he wasn't credited. (And it didn't sound like him to me.)

18. Mr Soak

That's a shame, then. If it isn't significant dialogue as in Dimensions, I could see why they'd bypass Briggs though, and maybe go for archive voices, or someone else, if it's new lines. Looking at the cast list on Wikipedia, it says Siri voices the Batcomputer. Nice.

It's a pity Village Roadshow's delaying the movie over a month in Australia, to coincide with school holidays. They said they learned their lesson with The Lego Movie, where they claimed the 50-ish day delay cost them tens of millions of dollars due to piracy, and that they'd go closer to US release dates.

19. The Katatonic

The Katatonic Lieutenant Red Shirt

Right. Seriously....I just don't get the Daleks. I only just recently got intro'd to Dr Who (having dated an Englishman for 4 years I knew about him, and the odd police box that would crop up in different parts of London from time to time was an homage, but my ex HATED Dr who, so it was only after I was back home for a long time that a fellow Canuck intro'd me to the Dr...)...but honestly.......I have seen far more villanous creatures than they....and my friend who introduced me to them did a failing job at properly making them scary....because to me, they just look silly... other elements have scared me, but never the Daleks...