Customer Service and Social Anxiety

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Armus, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Hi, I was wondering if anyone would care to share some thoughts or advice about how to deal with social anxiety at work, specifically at a customer service oriented position. I haven't done real customer service since I pumped gas at a full service gas station 16 years ago when I was 22. I recently quit my job as a mail carrier for the usps so I could take a job less physically taxing on my body. Its a customer service position, and I'm a little nervous about it. I'm comfortable dealing with coworkers and people I know but I've always felt a little awkward interacting with the general public for an extended period.

Can anyone relate?

Qonundrum and TribbleFeeder like this.
  2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    What kind of customer service? Will you be interacting face to face, or over the phone/computer? Is this at a department store, specialty store, or service place?

If it's a clothing store, I'd tell you to watch "Are You Being Served?" (most of the series is on YouTube)... and do the opposite of what the characters do.

auntiehill likes this.
  3. Armus

It's a self storage center, which has relatively low volume foot traffic compared to a convenience store or bank. It involves both face to face interaction and answering the phone.

4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I can definitely relate to a feeling of awkwardness, I generally prefer to not deal with people at all on a professional level (I'll let you know when I've found a job where that's feasible)

that being said, in my experience that feeling subsides on its own after a while if you just sort of dive in

Armus likes this.
  5. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Expect Terminators and future members of the Resistance asking for very long-term storage solutions. They need a place to keep their weapons and other supplies for when Skynet becomes active.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most of those people will be interacting with you as little as possible. It is "self" storage after-all. They just want to know pricing, storage options (both size and temperature control or lack thereof), and pragmatics of how to get the keys, what happens with a missed payment, cancellation options, etc. Depending upon your company: you may just be repeating what's on the website.

Armus likes this.
  6. TribbleFeeder

TribbleFeeder Rear Admiral Premium Member

I used to have a script memorized for when people had complaints. That really helped me. I didn’t have to worry about what I was going to say, which was half the battle.

May 20 and Armus like this.
  7. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

As a veteran of retail, I can offer some true horror stories. Retail is hard on everyone, especially introverts. However, I think you have found a great compromise in the storage center. The customers will not expect much interaction, aside from basic product info and billing. You will have a lot of time to yourself to get your tasks done and will still get to practice some face-to-face interaction.

You'll do fine. :bolian:

Brefugee and Armus like this.
  8. Timewalker

@Armus: There is one thing you might encounter that others haven't mentioned: What to do if you have any physically disabled customers. I had to use a self-storage facility over a course of several years after moving from my house to an apartment. While the compartment itself was accessible to mobility-challenged people, the office wasn't.

It was barely manageable when I used canes (much more difficult in winter, with the icy cement steps that they didn't shovel or scrape properly). It was impossible when I had to switch to a wheeled walker.

The only way it worked was that the manager's position came with an apartment on the premises, and that was accessible. I had to go through her living room to get to the office to get the key and drop it off when finished.

I don't know how your setup is, but please be aware that you will likely have physically disabled clients at some point and they will appreciate any extra miles you can go for them.

Because I was treated well at this place, I don't hesitate to recommend them to other people. And they didn't argue at all about refunding the part of the money owed when I finally moved my stuff out and closed my account (since it was within 10 days of the beginning of the month).

Marynator and Armus like this.
  9. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

I really hope everything goes well for you at your new job @Armus.

I can totally feel for what you're going through, I'm also quite socially awkward and introverted, and I've had to work customer facing jobs before too. I used to be a bank teller for almost five years, and then I was in bank telephone service for almost two and a half years, and sometimes I found it really difficult interacting with my customers.

When I was working with customers face to face, I found what made things easiest for me was to just really care about people, and even though I'm introverted I found that came really naturally. I learned everyone's names, I always smiled, I greeted people when they came inside, and I found out how people like things and I did whatever I could to make their lives easier, and I had a really good relationship with my customers and that made my life so much easier also.

I really found working on the phone to be so much more difficult for me, especially because I just don't like phone calls, I prefer to talk either in person or by writing, so that was a challenge. What I found really helped me there was to just really know everything I was working with, I really learned my company's products and policies, so I had confidence I knew what I'm talking about to people. I also would pretend everyone I was speaking to was someone important to me, so I could make sure I would care about his or her issue. I think people can tell when you don't care about them and just want them to go away.

I had a harder time when I was taking supervisor calls, because people were already upset, and I don't have a very authoritative sounding voice, and sometimes I'd get real nonsense like some rude guy asking to speak to "the real MANager" (he'd stress it like that, you'd be surprised how often that happens).

Oh and something else I found helped me, was to always be positive and be a solution person, not a problem person, and especially as a teller this made things sooo much easier for me to get along with my customers than a lot of my coworkers. Like this was when we still would put 7 day holds on checks, and my coworkers would say things like "We're going to hold your check for seven days," and people would get upset, but I found I had better luck saying things like "We're going to be able to make this available for you next Monday." Just little ways of phrasing things, as like something you're going to do for them instead of something you're going to do to them, if I'm making sense?

I REALLY needed my time off, I'd quite look forward to my weekends and vacation time so I could recharge.

So I guess my short answer for my advice is to care and to be knowledgeable. I think people can really feel when you want to help them and also when you know how, and you'll be appreciated. But also knowing that there are some people who sadly are just sour and there's nothing you can do, and I had to learn over time to just not let those people ruin my day.

Oh and good luck again, I feel new jobs are always so exciting! :)

10. Armus

Thanks to everyone who has responded thus far, and with such thoughtful words. It's very much appreciated. :)

TribbleFeeder and Marynator like this.
  11. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Sometimes having the briefest 'preparation' is best. Like the others have said... do be prepared with knowledge that might answer enquiries customers may have but try not to overthink it. That can make you even more self-conscious, a certain amount of trusting in yourself and spontaneity will help you find your feet. After a while you will become more comfortable. I remember working in a laboratory with a viewing platform and the first few times I noticed people watching me I would see my hands shake! What?? Then it didn't matter after a while. Spent some time working at a motel and dealing with guests by phone and coming to the desk. By far the coming to the desk aspect was better because you're in the moment and you cope. Phone calls where someone rings not too bad. Rattle off the name of the place and wait and then put them on hold :lol: However composing a call to someone I would feel just a little more self-conscious again.

Anyway you'll be fine, you've got this!

Armus likes this.
  12. Timewalker

Something else I thought of... if a customer asks a question that you don't know the answer to, the response I prefer is "I don't know, but I'll find out for you/I'll find someone who can help you" (or some similar phrasing).

Some stores have lost my business because the clerk was too stubborn to utter those simple words "I don't know" and instead berated me for asking, or tried to convince me that not only did they not sell the item now - they never had, even though I'd bought one there previously.

13. Marynator

Oh wonderful advice @Timewalker!

I'll add one too, something you just shouldn't ever say is "No," and I don't mean you can't refuse a ridiculous request, but rather your phrasing is better as "What I can do is ..." because you always need to offer an alternate solution for something. You'd be surprised how much difference that makes! :)

14. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I recently applied for a customer service position (fingers crossed I get an interview!) and if all goes well, I’m very nervous about dealing with the public. So I find this thread very useful. As nervous as I am about this potential job, my desire to work for the organization outweighs my jitters.

Armus likes this.
  15. Marynator

Oh I wish good luck to you! :) I do so hope you get your interview and you do well! Customer service can certainly be very challenging, but even for us inteoverts you can dind many wonderful rewards.

Qonundrum, Janeway’s Girl and Armus like this.
  16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I've worked in retail for over two decades now and yes I'm an Introvert and somewhat shy. But just remember to treat customers how you would expect to be treated if you were a customer.

Armus likes this.