News Crossfield Class

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by TOSalltheway, Feb 5, 2018.

1. TOSalltheway

TOSalltheway Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So now we know the class of Discovery. Crossfield Class.

Albert S. "Scott" Crossfield joined the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA - the predecessor of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration or NASA) at its High Speed Flight Research Station (now NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center), Edwards, CA, as a research pilot in June 1950. During the next five years, he flew the X-1, X-4, X-5, XF-92A, F-51D, F-86F, F9F, B-47A, YF-84, F-84F, F-100A, YF-102, D-558-I, and D-558-II. During that time he logged 100 rocket flights, making him the single most experienced rocket pilot.

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

We’ve known this for months. It was on the dedication plaque and also revealed by Eaglemoss some time last year.

3. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

LOL............yeah old news man.

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Known ships: USS Discovery, NCC-1031, USS Glenn, NCC-1030, USS Stamets, NCC-1019...

I wonder what we should make of the registry number of Stamets' personal little ship of dreams. Is "1019" somehow significant to him? Is there a real NCC-1019 of some significance? Is she of Crossfield class?

Timo Saloniemi

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

There's probably a USS Crossfield around. Maybe only the Discovery & Glenn were modified for the spore drive? The others could look very different.

6. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

This has me wondering how the unmodified Crossfield-class might look. I would think it would mainly have to be the spinning saucer that's different, as that seems to be a feature of the spore drive.

7. Ar-Pharazon

The nacelles could be closer to "normal" size, depending on how much Discovery's nacelles have to do with the spore drive.

And yeah, the spinning saucer wouldn't be necessary. The standard Crossfield wouldn't need those spaces in the saucer at all I'd imagine.

8. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Sounds like it may look closer to the teaser version of the ship we were presented first. No gaps in the saucer and different nacelles.

Markonian and Relayer1 like this.
  9. Timo

The fun new datapoint here is, USS Discovery (with spore drive) and ISS Discovery (without spore drive, or the Emperor would have known about it) look 100% identical externally, so that one can be mistaken for the other even by paranoid eyes.

So the spinning saucer surfaces seem to be a relatively common and generic feature. They bleed off extra sweat for the spore drive - perhaps they bleed off extra sweat for Captain Killy's super-duper planetary bombardment weapons in that other ship?

Timo Saloniemi

10. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

For cutting giant space-pizzas.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  11. Ar-Pharazon

"Pizza Cutter" was the nickname for the old SFB Fed CV.

Fed CV.jpg

Markonian likes this.
  12. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Might be that ship seen in the hangar in ST3

Michael likes this.
  13. Ar-Pharazon

Wasn't that the shorter one?

Personally, I've always loved the POTT "long" version from the McQuarrie artwork, and that's more or less what we got in the Discovery.

14. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I think it was an actual POTT model, but I don't remember where I read that.

eltel99uk likes this.
  15. Ar-Pharazon

There were 2 little cardboard mockups. It actually looks like it was the longer version in Spacedock and the shorter one in the Surplus Depot, judging by pylon length.
    POTT 1a.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  16. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is that real? The Space Dock one? For a long time that scene was among my favourite ever scenes in all of trek. How could I have missed that on my VHS tv recording and fourteen inch portable Telly?

F. King Daniel likes this.
  17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is real, yes.

18. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

My current guess is that the stock Crossfield looks like the leaked shots of the original VFX team's refined version of the teaser trailer design, at least as far as the saucer and warp engines go. The "wing" and neck are similar enough between both designs that I can see those parts being the same between them.

DEWLine and Michael like this.
  19. Timo

Also, we might speculate that the original Crossfield was not a dedicated science ship (so it's a valid ride for Captain Killy), and that the extensive modifications on the Discovery and the Glenn were purely internal alterations of, if not the original design, then its first iteration of upgrades.

That is, in this line of speculation, the first upgrade would make the nacelles longer, and introduce the split saucer. But even the original saucer as seen in the test footage looks like it could have spinner surfaces, which thus would be a warship thing originally (and again something Killy would approve of).

Timo Saloniemi

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except it was a ship full of "timid scientists" before Lorca took command.