Could we as fan send a open letter to CBS executive to make Star Trek better

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain Clark, May 7, 2020.

1. Captain Clark

Captain Clark Ensign Red Shirt

I feel like that Star Trek Show runner's need to stay consistent in technology (holographic displays and how impractical they are) and the overall optimistic tone of trek in the 90s. Also trying to stay in continuity (all the tribble stuff in that short trek for example) and the technology of the time period in trek lore. basically i was wondering if us as fans could try to contact Alex Kurtzman and all that stuff to ask them to be a little more consistent in technology and the overall tone of trek of not being dark and negitive. Of it being positive and uplifting. I feel like you can keep a show dark and still have it be good (DS9) but you need to balance it out with positive stuff. Thank you

2. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure they are aware of these concerns and decided to do their thing, which is totally valid

3. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. SITZKRIEG!

SITZKRIEG! Commander Red Shirt

You're free to do what you feel is necessary but the creators already know and don't care. Hopefully the third time will be the charm with the rumored upcoming Pike show.

5. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Do what you want. I won't help out.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  6. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd think in light of seeing anything Star Wars or Star Trek in recent times, it would be evident that longstanding fan satisfaction is not the priority

trekshark and Qonundrum like this.
  7. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

They had a survey after Disco S1, they should do another one for PIC and Disco S2

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ninja'd

Turtletrekker likes this.
  9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The last thing CBS should do is listen to what fans want, because no two fans will want the same thing.

10. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

This. Ask ten Star Trek fans what they want out of Star Trek and you'll get ten different answers. CBS can't please everyone, no matter what they do. If they make an action-based series with lots of pew pew and CGI ships, people will complain about there not being enough Inner Light stories. If they make a show about Inner Light stories, people will complain about there not being any pew pew battles. If they try to combine pew pew and Inner Light stories, people will complain about things not making any sense and not fitting together. If they ditch both ideas and come up with something new, people will complain that "this isn't Star Trek anymore".

So yeah. Last thing I'd do if I were in charge of CBS would be to listen to fans who approach me with an attitude of "I will explain to you how you can make better Star Trek". I would take some valid concerns into account, yes, but I would still do my own thing in the end.

11. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The only way CBS would listen is if not enough people were paying for subscriptions or if viewing figures were were too low to justify the expense of making them, it all comes down to money, they won't much care about what fans think.

If you want a nice, optimistic and hopeful Trek-style successor, I'd suggest The Orville.

12. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I'm sure you mean well, but ...
    [​IMG]

Which would be criticized as bringing nothing new to the franchise and aping TNG if it was "Star Trek: Orville".

13. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I like Today's Trek. But, if that's what we're "supposed" to hate, then... I don't want '60s or '90s Trek.

I want '80s Trek. They had better movies. And on the TV front, at least Leonard Miazlish is dead now, so he can't fuck up the scripts anymore. And we get Ron Jones music.

Unimatrix Q and Qonundrum like this.
  14. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

One could. But it's up to them if they want to take anything into account or to make the show the way they want to.

And I'd rather see them take the show in a new direction but keeping core themes. The 60s were done, the 80s kept some of the 60s but still moved on and did their own thing. Ditto for the 90s. There's stuff to like and dislike from all these eras.

15. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

"The Orville" did bring in some of the writers and producers of TNG, but at the same time they did go in new dimensions directions, in ways TNG did not go. :D But a couple episodes are too much of a knockoff (e.g. the colony inside an asteroid) And Orville, like Star Wars, did take from other franchises and styles and successfully made their own...

It's also technically a sci-fi parody, though since then it got a lot more serious undertones (Season 2). It's become its own show. TNG never did the "species forcing sex changes and hates heterosexuality" shtick... Data may have had a few too many siblings after a while to remain credible but thankfully only one of them was an emotionally psychopathic genocidal maniac and not the lot of them... Isaac was more like the Cylons but with a hint of Data as a ruse, and consistently without any emotions of any sort. So they knew from the get-go how Isaac would be, but I digress..

Also, speaking of aping, DSC was pretty quick to bring in Mudd and the Mirror Universe, having the lead character be the best thing ever (rather like Kirk, but if anything ramped up a bit), and so on..... the new things it brought to the table -- well, we know Spock would not be a murderer as such and everything else anyone could think about - well that's just a super-dee-duper SECTION 31 thing (in yet another example of a pointless prequel mimicking... ) (On edit: yeah, it's a prequel but those tend to have little creativity to begin with, and trying to answer questions that were never asked but end up causing more questions for no reason...)

Then they saw how well Orville was doing so they moved toward silliness. Tilly being the prime example of her going toward a caricatured extreme... The tv trope Flanderization usually takes a bit more time...

That said, I have posted clips of good scenes before... as with most things, there's good or bad. Even bad episodes can have good scenes and good episodes can have bad scenes. It's an entire spectrum.

(On edit, consolidating)

Or if the longstanding fans don't care they don't care. Some have and to varying extents. Which is strange given how PIC, told to us by its producers that it's not a sequel, surely is striving really hard to be one. And sequels are generally aimed more at fans than newbies, reintroducing old characters, you name it. (But keeping in mind TWOK is a sequel to TMP, which was a sequel of TOS and none of those three are the identical tone; styles and formats will be tweaked or shifted. So there's more going on to what makes a show work or not...)

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Let's not. Because truth is, if you liked the show you'd forgive all those quibbles just like you do all the quibbly nitpicks in the Treks you do like.

Remember also the new shows are arc based. Picard for example is in a dark place at the start of his new show, but by the last episode he's found himself and a purpose again.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Not been a fan of the new direction, but any letters should be filed in the recycle bin by CBS. Fans being in charge is why we’re at where we are at now.

18. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope. There’s a reason that the film considered “best” by Star Trek fandom was directed by a non-fan. (And triggered death threats from “fans” during its production.)

fan-dumb.

19. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

Yes we could.

They won't read it though.

Turtletrekker and Relayer1 like this.
  20. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

The best solution is simply to watch something that’s better than Star Trek.

JonnyQuest037 and SITZKRIEG! like this.