News Coronavirus Pandemic Information and Support Group

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by EmoBorg, Feb 1, 2020.

1. AlanC9

AlanC9 Commodore Commodore

Of course, if the actors and athletes made less money, the money would just go to the team owners and producers...

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not so much surprise, but disgust over the whole situation he put us in.

*Shrug* Why not? I can vent, can't I?

3. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, never ever get mad over how athletes and movie stars have bargained their way into a piece of the pie. Be mad if you're not getting your fair share.

4. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

Normally wouldn't post in a thread like this but our WA state governor Jay Inslee ordered schools closed for the rest of the year and libraries to remain closed until July 20.
    I feel for the seniors as well as the rest of the students, what are they going to do to make up for the education they've lost.
    My nephew has special needs and a learning disability, all that progress is going to be washed away.
    And why can't the libraries find a way to do curbside service?
    You reserve your materials online, you're notified when they're ready and a librarian can bring it out to you; that way you're practicing social distancing.

5. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Over here, the schooling is done via TV and internet. And the summer semester at many universities will be taught remotely as a series of video conferences. Maybe you can use Australian learning programmes? They do a lot of remote schooling I've been told. I believe Canada has a similar programme for children who live too far away from schools.

If you are living in the same household, maybe you could work with your nephew. Else, maybe you could do some training via email. If you turn learning into a game, he'll be motivated. Particularly if he gets a chance to beat you at this game :) People with learning disabilities get only little positive feedback anyway - it would make your nephew's day if he got a chance to beat you at a learning game (maybe you could cheat a bit so as to lose ;) ).
    How old is he and what are his worst subjects? Maybe together we can build a few lessons that are both helpful and fun.

Public libraries are closed over here, too. Try online. Most scientific works are available either on google books or on the websites of some universities.
    For entertaining literature I recommend Project Gutenberg.

6. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, this happened quite a bit with the fitness/bodybuilding industry, with magazine publishers becoming filthy rich while many of their "stars" got raw deals, spending practically their whole waking lives working for said publishers but barely scraping by and ending up having to get dead-end low paying jobs just to make ends meet.

Different countries are taking different approaches to library service. The International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions has a page that addresses this stuff: https://www.ifla.org/covid-19-and-libraries
    There are possibly heightened concerns about virus propagation from the books being handled by library patrons and everybody living at home with them, and then returned to the library (see the "Handling materials" section in the link above). That's the reason why a lot of stores are not accepting returns right now.

Kor

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  8. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    My homemade face mask is made from a bandana and while it's far from perfect it fits snugly on my face most of the time.

Mojochi, KimMH and Worf factor9 like this.
  10. Worf factor9

"Always with the Negative Waves" ;)

Mojochi likes this.
  11. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

lol I love that movie

Worf factor9 likes this.
  12. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Well, that didn't last long... the Ontario government has reversed their earlier decision, and has redesignated the pot shops as an essential service.

Thank goodness. Heaven forfend that people have to do without recreational cannabis in the middle of a global pandemic. :vulcan:

13. AlanC9

AlanC9 Commodore Commodore

It does make it easier to stay locked up in your home, doesn't it?

14. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

I got a treadmill which i have not used in months. But i was so lazy before the lockdown and currently now as well. Maybe i go for a slow walk on it instead.

KimMH likes this.
  15. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People do use marijuana to self medicate for anxiety...

16. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Fear not, here in Scotland the local off licence shops were also put on the essential services list, i mean god forbid they can't get their tobacco and daily six cans and bottle of bucky intake......whereas closing them all down might have actually done some of them good in the long run, but they are taxed so unlike the virus the government is happy to see you kill yourself this way even during a pandemic. lol

Nakita Akita likes this.
  17. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Most of my treadmill time could be considered slow walking but it is a tremendous mental health booster so go at it!

EmoBorg and Gary Mitchell like this.
  18. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a really great video about how astronauts cope with self-isolation from Chris Hadfield. Different than the one I shared earlier.

I think he realized he had maybe cut off his supply :D

In my area, 1,135 people have been tested, 832 testing negative and 28 positive as of writing this. It's good to see the numbers, and I think locally we might be making a difference. Things have slowed considerably over the last few days. Two new confirmed cases today, but that's been after 4 days of no new announced cases.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  19. Worf factor9

20. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Thanks for the advice.

KimMH likes this.