Control and the Future

DanK

Ensign
Maybe this has been answered already, please forgive. The whole reason for Discovery going 950 years into the future was so Control did not get the Sphere data. So when Control was destroyed, no need to go into the future. Why still go into the future?

They didn't even need to go into the future if it was just about protecting the Sphere data from Control, with spore drive they could have easily gone anywhere in the furthest reaches of the galaxy where Control would never find them.

But of course, the real world reason was that it had been decided to change the show's setting to the 32nd century in response to fan complaints, so they were going there no matter what.

To protect Sphere data from other potential AI risks.

Because in the (far) future AI will presumably be less advanced and therefore its dangers will be less?

(I mean, I understand the sentiment, but it's not really the most logical destination when you think about it. Probably the only failsafe way would have been utter (self-) vaporization but I suppose that would be a bit of a downer to end the series on).

Last edited:
They didn't even need to go into the future if it was just about protecting the Sphere data from Control, with spore drive they could have easily gone anywhere in the furthest reaches of the galaxy where Control would never find them.

Yeah... that's the big question I had at the end of S2. They just *HAD* to go to the future, because reasons. Even though the ship is more than capable of just mushrooming to literally anywhere in the universe.

(I mean, I understand the sentiment, but it's not really the most logical destination when you think about it. Probably the only failsafe way would have been utter (self-) destruction but I suppose that would be a bit of a downer to end the series on).

I have no desire to watch Discovery again, but didn't they try to just self destruct, but the ship wouldn't let them?

Sending the ship to the future felt less like "we need to do this to protect the galaxy" and more "In the future it's not our problem anymore, sorry future-people."

I have no desire to watch Discovery again, but didn't they try to just self destruct, but the ship wouldn't let them?

I don't recall that, but I've only seen it once and that's years ago, so I may simply have forgotten about it. Wouldn't surprise me though, they had to make the reason to go to the future more convincing in some way after all.

I don't recall that, but I've only seen it once and that's years ago, so I may simply have forgotten about it. Wouldn't surprise me though, they had to make the reason to go to the future more convincing in some way after all.

I'm almost certain that the ship's nascent consciousness wouldn't allow the sphere data to be destroyed, so they had to go to plan B.

Because in the (far) future AI will presumably be less advanced and therefore its dangers will be less?

(I mean, I understand the sentiment, but it's not really the most logical destination when you think about it. Probably the only failsafe way would have been utter (self-) vaporization but I suppose that would be a bit of a downer to end the series on).
I think it was the idea that we need to take this thing far away to ensure the safety of the whole quadrant. While it's not logical, I don't think it needs to be either. They look at the risk, made a decision, and followed through on it.

Probably the only failsafe way would have been utter (self-) vaporization but I suppose that would be a bit of a downer to end the series on).
They did attempt self-destruct, the Sphere data was able to override it. Since the ship was already evacuated, the Enterprise even tried to bombard it with full weapons, but the Sphere data channeled energy from everything to fortify the shields to withstand that.

Yes, somehow the Discovery became nigh-invulnerable when the showrunners decided on a time-jump.

The whole point of taking the sphere data into the future was because they had to jump to a point in time where Gabriel burnham originally saw that control had eradicated all life in the galaxy. By jumping to this point and seeing everything was ok the crew knew for certain that control had been destroyed and the timeline changed.

Also by the 32nd century of the alternate timeline its implied that control spans the entire galaxy. So even jumping to the far reaches of the gamma or delta quadrants may not have kept the sphere data safe.

The whole point of taking the sphere data into the future was because they had to jump to a point in time where Gabriel burnham originally saw that control had eradicated all life in the galaxy. By jumping to this point and seeing everything was ok the crew knew for certain that control had been destroyed and the timeline changed.
What would they have done if everything was not okay?

Maybe this has been answered already, please forgive. The whole reason for Discovery going 950 years into the future was so Control did not get the Sphere data. So when Control was destroyed, no need to go into the future. Why still go into the future?
It was a question of mathematics. They couldn't come up with a 100% assuredness Control would not appear with the Sphere data/Discovery still present. This was apparently confirmed by Burnham's mother in her travels. So it basically removed itself from the equation.

Last edited:
So "the whole point" you mentioned is pointless then?
No it was a calculated risk and stated as such in 'Such sweet sorrow'. It was either stay in the past with the confirmed knowledge that Control would one day destroy the galaxy or take a chance that they could defeat control and save the galaxy by jumping into the future. The crew had no idea it was going to to work, as evidenced by Burnham asking for confirmation of life sign readings the minute she got to the 32nd century.

The way it plays out, there's no point. If they'd made it clear Control was EVERYWHERE throughout Starfleet's operating systems like in the novels they took the concept from, it makes perfect sense.

Sort of. Ish. Because even then, what's to say Control isn't still part of operating systems in the 32nd century?

I kept saying they should have simply jumped a dozen galaxies over, so control could never ever find them, but it wouldn't be until season 4 when they officially retconned the mycelial network to being limited to our galaxy and not the entire universe as season 1 and 2 told us.

It's
The way it plays out, there's no point. If they'd made it clear Control was EVERYWHERE throughout Starfleet's operating systems like in the novels they took the concept from, it makes perfect sense.

Sort of. Ish. Because even then, what's to say Control isn't still part of operating systems in the 32nd century?

I kept saying they should have simply jumped a dozen galaxies over, so control could never ever find them, but it wouldn't be until season 4 when they officially retconned the mycelial network to being limited to our galaxy and not the entire universe as season 1 and 2 told us.

It's stated in at the end of 'Such sweet sorrow' Starfleet made sure to completely eradicate what remained of Control in the 23rd century. It also stated in Season 4 after Zora was realised to be sentient, that Starfleet places limitations on their A.I. So they obviously learned something from having a homicidal A.I go rogue.

If they'd made it clear Control was EVERYWHERE throughout Starfleet's operating systems like in the novels they took the concept from,
In fact they went out of their way to state the complete opposite given one of the red flags for Admiral Cornwell that something was up with Control was when it requested access to more Starfleet systems.

Back