Continuing to Discover Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by S. Gomez, May 19, 2008.

1. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So about a year ago I started buying my first Doctor Who DVDs--just about the only way to watch them for me here in Canada. I have four serials of William Hartnell and three of Patrick Troughton. My anal retentive nature forces me to go through the show in order as much as possible, so I’m getting ready to start checking out Jon Pertwee’s era. Following that it’s Tom Baker, etc.

This is a list of the DVDs that have been (or are about to be) released in Region 1. But since these are pretty much all blind buys--and wanting to avoid spoiler plot summaries as much as I can--I wouldn’t mind a little advice from some more experienced Whovians as to just what I should be spending my money on. A * marks ones that sound interesting from what I've heard...

-Doctor Who And The Silurians
    -Inferno *
    -The Claws of Axos
    -The Sea Devils
    -The Three Doctors *
    -Carnival of Monsters
    -The Green Death
    -The Time Warrior *

I didn’t list “Spearhead From Space” since, being the first one, it’s obviously going to be among my initial purchase. I plan to get two or three now, and maybe a couple more down the line.

2. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

"Inferno" has some nice performances and a couple very intense episodes; it's widely considered a classic, and "The Green Death" is pretty famous as well. "The Three Doctors" isn't exactly very good, but the multi-Doctor stuff is kind of fun as Pertwee and Troughton clash entertainingly (as they did in real life, apparently).

The only of those that's not generally liked is "The Claws of Axos," of which you probably want to steer clear at first.

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

If you're going to get just three, I would go with Inferno, The Three Doctors, and Carnival of Monsters (incidentally those are the only three Third Doctor serials I have at the moment).

4. Quist

Quist Captain Captain

Nothing wrong with "The Claws of Axos" - I've always had a soft spot for this one...

5. 26138

26138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I second that.

6. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thirded

7. Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer Admiral Admiral

The guy who played the CIA a gent needed a haircut.

8. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

But his fake American accent helps one overlook that.

9. S. Gomez

^:guffaw: I remember "The Tomb of The Cybermen" has a particularly atrocious American accent for the captain of a spaceship.

I think I might get "Spearhead", "Inferno", "The Three Doctors" and possibly one more. I'll undoubtedly get more Pertwee, probably right after enjoying those ones; I just don't want to overload myself on Doctor Who at the expense of other things I want to buy. However, I do plan to try and get to see Tom Baker before the end of the summer.

10. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally I never cared overly much for Carnival of Monsters, but you can't go wrong really with any of those - they are all good stories.

11. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah, I'd go for The Time Warrior. It's a tad silly, but in a fun way. And if you've been following the new series (Ha! Almost said 'NuWho';)) It introduces both Sarah Jane and the Sontarans.

12. Guybrushtw

Guybrushtw Lieutenant

The Green Death is good fun, although of course there's some dodgy special effects in it (Mainly the blue-screen/CSO stuff). That being said, the monsters themselves (Except for a crap giant Fly) are pretty well done.

It also has a good companion departure scene, arguably one of the saddest.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  13. Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer Admiral Admiral

To me anyone who hasn't got a drawl or a twang has an atrocious accent. So I just figured that fella was from somewhere people didn't learn how to talk right. Like Colorado.:)

14. S. Gomez

Hmm. "The Green Death" certainly sounds good, and it is one of those 'turning point' stories where a Companion leaves, and I do want to get to see those ones especially... but the giant maggots on the cover are scaring me off. :D Seriously, I have an awful fear of creepy-crawlies so I think I'll hold off for now.

I've decided to get "Spearhead From Space", "Doctor Who And The Silurians" (technically pre-ordered since it comes out June 3), "Inferno", and "The Three Doctors" to start with. All I have to do now is place the order. I'll go back later and get "The Time Warrior" for sure, and maybe one other Pertwee.

15. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Good choices, aside from The Three Doctors. Season Seven is my favorite of the classic show, bar Eighteen.

16. S. Gomez

^I admit to really only wanting to see Patrick Troughton again in that one; so far he's my favourite Doctor (though I've only seen two, of course).

17. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Patrick Troughton (and his bickering with Jon Pertwee) is the good part of The Three Doctors, so it's a valid reason!

18. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, Three Docs is a good choice. Though it does kind of loose steam about midway through part 3.

19. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

In my mind The Green Death is the definitive Doctor Who episode. It's the first one that scared the heebyjeebies out of me. For years and years and years pit head gear (the workings at the surface of a mine working the lifts etc) scared me to death. I swear even these days I still look at them askance when I'm even in a mining area! :lol:

20. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would help to watch the "Three Doctors" before subsequent 3rd Doctor stories. It does conclude a certain on going subplot from the early Pertwee seasons.

The Doctor regains the ability to use the TARDIS.