Connecting emotionally for the first time

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Winterwind, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

I've watched Voyager more than a few times since it came along. I've always enjoyed it, some times loved it and some times just groaned and I'll now skip more than episodes here and there but this is the first time it's actually tugged at the old heart strings.

My wife has always enjoyed Trek here and there before we met and she's watched all of ENT with me since we've been together (except TATV), most of TOS and DS9 and now she's agreed to watch all of VOY with me. (There are only a handful of TNG episodes I enjoy. Looking back, for me, it's my least favourite so...)

But what's really nice, and surprising, is the connection to the show and characters this time. Doubtless it's partly because we're sharing the experience but yeah, I'm getting something different out of it this time and it's largely due to Kate Mulgrew's work in season one.

For example, we just finished Prime Factors and that scene at the end, Janeway, Tuvok and Torres was goosebump, misty eyed powerful. I've always watched shows partly to enjoy the story and partly to enjoy and analyse production elements but it's the first time the show has "got me". I must be getting sentimental in my old age.

It's a shame that TBTB told Mulgrew to tone down the emotion and vulnerability she showed after the first season because her eyes, her expressions, her voice... damn that lady could convey emotion. She also went from adorable and "awww cute" to downright sexy to a strong "this is not a woman you want to tick off" too. I'd forgotten how skilled at her craft she was.

KimMH and Tracy Trek like this.
  2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I know how Voyager can elicit emotions. I recently watched the episodes where Seska and the Kazon captured the ship and the crew was marooned on a planet. I got emotional when Suder gave his life in the successful attempt to reconquer the ship. Also got emotional when the natives on the planet found a cure that helped baby Naomi with breathing.

KimMH, Lynx, Tracy Trek and 1 other person like this.
  3. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I'm betting this incident gave rise to a pseudo-religion where the natives worships the crew and Voyager. Naomi may be revered as a Jesus-like deity that the ancestors saved, as told in what would be the ancient runes...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Tracy Trek likes this.
  4. chris of nine

chris of nine Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That’s why I love Janeway, even when the character is changed, because Mulgrew gives the performance her all, and ....even when what is written doesn’t really jive with her character.

KimMH likes this.
  5. Winterwind

Yeah, she really is all kinds of awesome. I'm enjoying this rewatch more than any other time. This time, other than periodically explaining a few things to my wife, I'm going to try to watch this with a less critical mind.

KimMH likes this.
  6. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I wish they'd kept Suder. He was interesting and creepy awesome.

KimMH and Kilana2 like this.
  7. Winterwind

Indeed. But I don't think it would been written well over the long haul. He'd have either been misused or forgotten.

Speaking of forgotten, I forgot all about Durst. Shows up in one episode and the camera work made my wife wonder if he was a baddie only for him to die and wind up a face mask in the next. Saying derpity derp Durst is now a joke for us.

CommanderRaytas likes this.
  8. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Yeah, you're probably right. It's just a shame to see a cool character discarded in favour of the blander ones, which is saying something where 24th century humans are concerned.

Poor Durst. He doesn't get any respect. XD

Winterwind likes this.
  9. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

They needed characters as cannon fodder. The Voyager version of Redshirts.
    Durst was one of them. Not to mention characters being eaten by big creatures.....

10. Winterwind

We just watched Basic I & II and Flashback last night. My wife is loving Voyager so I'm quiet happy about that.

And I'd forgotten how powerful Tim Russ' performance was in Meld. His breakdown in sick bay gave both of us chills.

11. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

I noticed this when I watched the series from start to finish for the first time a couple of years ago... Mulgrew's performance is one of the reasons why it's my favorite Trek. I prefer season 3-5 Janeway over season 1, but I think the best would have been something midway between the two, keeping some of the vulnerability visible, but tempering it more with a hardened edge from years of space travel. I can't say that the manner in which Janeway "evolved" as a character was flawless, but I think TPTB (and Mulgrew of course) did a pretty good job up until around season 6.
    I also never heard (even previously in the short discussion I was involved in about this topic) that TPTB asked her to tone down the emotion... for some reason just figured it was a direction that Mulgrew herself took the character. Do you know why they did this?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  12. Winterwind

I remember reading an interview with Garret Wang where he said something along the lines of B&B telling the cast portraying human officers to tone down emotions completely from the get go so, if true, they probably didn't like Mulgrew having Janeway tear up from time to time.

I think Mulgrew was brilliant, and my wife is really impressed. We haven't skipped anything, not even Threshold (which was actually an ok episode minus the silly bit). I have absolutely no problem with a Star Fleet captain, regardless of gender, showing honest emotion.

13. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

Thanks for the info.
    I agree on a Captain being able to show emotion... among other things it makes it far easier to engage the viewer and make a connection with the audience . No problems in that area for me regardless, but it would have likely increased the depth of the character a bit.
    Interestingly, I did hear that Ryan was asked to tone down some of the emotion Seven exhibited in season 4 since she was deemed to be progressing to quickly in her reversion to humanity. That I agreed with since it caused the character to undergo a more gradual, believable progression. Not sure I feel the same about the Captain... unless it's another example of a female showing emotion being equated to weakness.

KimMH likes this.
  14. chris of nine

chris of nine Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The key is be cool when you make command decisions, and be hot when expressing outrage, passion, and humor.

And science officers don’t cry. Mostly.

15. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Husband and I really like watching Voyager together. It hits all the right notes. He tends to wander off when TOS or DS9 are on.

cosmic mouse likes this.