Confirmed (sort of) - New TREK TV series

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Stag, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stag

Stag Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had an interesting conversation with a good friend who works at production planning & financing at an 'ahem' unnammed studio regarding a new TREK series planned for the 2012-2013 TV season. Initially to be broadcast here in the US with premiere oversees about 6 months later. At least that's the plan.

What he was able to share from seeing the various proposals was that the idea for the series is to restore/return the recognizable icons of TREK TV without interfering with JJ's movie franchise. The series will return to the roots of TREK, the iconic original Enterprise will return in a less controversially updated form, the time period will be pre-Kirk around the time of the launch of the Constitution class ships.

The idea is to forgo the goofiness of Enterprise "I'm afraid of a transporter" and "They call it a phase pistol" and immediately immerse fans in an environment that is both very familiar and comfortable. To maintain costs, most sets will be green screen except for the bridge and conference rooms.

The premise of the show is similar to TOS. The first season will see the final construction of Enterprise NCC-1701, shake down cruise, weekly episodic adventures and eventually a 1 year exploratory mission.

Characters will include a young "Commander Pike", a strong female Ensign (likely to become Pike's "Number 1) and the ship Captained by the previously unseen Captain Robert April. There will be no Vulcans or aliens onboard. The idea is that Starfleet is not quite there yet in terms of integration of aliens in crews. Most of the crew are seasoned Starfleet vets and are somewhat cynical and not quite so polished as even in Kirk's time. Phasers first, ask questions later is how the crew would handle all situations. "Blast 'em then ask 'em" is the show's catch phrase used by the tactical officer. (This will be marketed similar to Bart Simpson's "Aye Carrumba" of the early 90s to help financing of the show.)

As the first season is planned to progress, the crew gains a reputation of being loose cannons and un-Starfleet like. Captain April has trouble keeping them in line and in fact they begin to refer to themselves by a nickname I'm sure all of us readers will appreciate -

APRIL's FOOLS! :)

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Ouch again. :(

3. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Joeman

Joeman Captain Captain

Touche'.

All the opinions formed in my head while reading that post have been purged. :shifty:

5. Gagarin

Gagarin Commander Red Shirt

I'm glad it was April Fools, because it sounds like a crappy idea.

6. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was 3/4 of the way through this eating it up before I remembered today's date.

Sounded good, though.

7. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

I have to ask, and since you created one, I'll ask here. why do people bother with this crap? It's never believable as it's always obvious that it's a made up story as well as it "suddenly" breaking on the 1st april, it's not funny, it's nothing aside from annoying.

Man I hate aprils fool day, bungs up the entire internet with people thinking they're funny by inventing crap.

8. Joeman

Joeman Captain Captain

Bungs up the entire internet? Like a few April Fools jokes really make a huge difference in that department. Lighten up man.

9. NickInABox

NickInABox Captain Captain

Buzz Killington, ladies and gentlemen.

10. Luther Sloan

Luther Sloan Captain Captain

I was actually getting kind of excited.

:(

11. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

IT'S TRUE!! There's one in every crowd, waiting to rain on someone's parade...:cardie:

12. redabby

redabby Ensign Newbie

:rommie: Hi I'm new poster. I thought this was one of the better April Fools well it got me anyway. I was thinking no no I don't like the sound of this so I relieved it was just a joke. Claire.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  13. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was very relieved to realize it was just a joke!

14. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

:guffaw: You poor, poor man.

15. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

April 2, time for me to rain on the parade too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.