Complete Soundtrack Collection Album Info Query

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Methuselah Flint, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does anyone know how to update the album info/has had any problems with the album info? A number of tracks on my media player - to this day - are listed as 'Unknown Track'...

2. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I used iTunes to rip the physical CDs, and it tagged every track. This was back in 2012.

Indysolo and Methuselah Flint like this.
  3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  4. Methuselah Flint

Thanks guys! I'll try iTunes!

5. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think different media apps query different online databases for a match, and some are better than others. I think I used Media Monkey and it tagged every track, but there are some differences in the metadata between discs. Mostly minor, but S2 disc 2 has "OST STAR TREK" in the "artist" field, and the composer's name after the title in the "title" field. The other discs put the composer in the "artist" field.

6. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've used MediaMonkey for years, but typically when it comes to Star Trek stuff I end up needing to do some level of clean-up/reorganization afterward. I would call its initial passes typically good but not great, though that's likely the fault of whomever originally did the tagging into the database MM is pulling from, not the app itself.

FWIW, I tend to organize as follows:
    Genre: (Series/Movie Name)
    Album: Episode # - Episode Name (per the CD booklet)
    Track #: Three Digits, YXX, where Y is the CD # and XX is the track number
    Title: Er...Title.

I then organize as: Genre/Album/Track # - Title.

A nuisance to tag, but does make it easy to find everything afterward for the most part, and if two CDs have music from the same episode then they'll end up in the same 'Album'.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    J.T.B. and Phaser Two like this.
  7. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

The discs are CD-Text encoded. If you have a program that can read that, all of the info will show up. I'm on a Mac and use this script with iTunes.

As an aside, La-La Land Records is running a 30% off sale right now, and they still have some of these in stock.

8. Methuselah Flint

I ended up deleting all 15 cds from my laptop, and re-ripped 'em using Media Monkey. It looks like Windows Media Player didn't download all the info from the discs when I ripped' em way back. Just something I never got round to sorting. Thanks guys! I can listen with better organisation now! :)

DonIago and Indysolo like this.