Colony Season 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Tom, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Discuss Colony Season 2!

Starts January 12th, 2017 on USA.

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Excited to see the arrival of the Raps and how all that played out.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Pretty good backstory episode to open. Retconned in a new character in the partner. Still have a sneaky feeling that the Raps are not aliens. Maybe future humans?

4. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was pretty good. Maybe too much backstory, would rather move the story forward. But, I did enjoy it and it was decently intense even though we knew the outcomes.

No way can the raps be modern humans. The tech we've seen is way beyond anything we've got or will have for quite a long time. They literally landed the 300 ft wall around LA with controlled landings of the parts! And, it looks like the Rap that the big wig met (forgot his name) was in a cold area. That would seem to rule out humans from the future-as well as the hints in the last season about them sensing time differently. Guessing it's aliens, which is cool with me.

They should stop being coy about it. Confirm that part of the story and then move the story forward. Still lots to learn and address even when the nature of the Raps is revealed for sure.

Looking forward to next week! Great to have this series back on the air!

Mr Awe

5. sojourner

Like a time traveler might do?

6. Mr Awe

I took it as sensing the passage of time rather than traveling through it. Hopefully, we'll find out soon! The cold thing doesn't support humans. Plus, humans from the future wouldn't need a disquise. And, whatever big wig met that made such a huge impression probably wasn't just a human!

7. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wait...It started back up??? We're there ads anywhere????

8. sojourner

We've seen "the cool thing" in other fiction in relation to time travel as some kind of side effect. Depending on how far in the future the humans are from, they may need some kind of environmental suit to survive in our time, which is what the big wig saw, something in a suit.

9. Mr Awe

I'm not sure to be honest. I remembered that at the end of last season there was talk it would return this year so I just Googled it this January. Also, my DVR would've recorded it anyway. But, I personally didn't see an ad for it.

I suppose it could be. Although, the time travel stories I've read never required protective clothing for the different time periods. Of course, it can be whatever the writers want it to be so I wouldn't rule out that possibility. But, right now, nothing screams time travel to me. It looks just like an alien invasion--but I'll grant you that could well be a misdirection.

Right now, it looks like the aliens are invading and creating reservations for us humans.

I bet that the resistance is who took those people who were on the list. We're supposed to think that it's the Raps taking our best and brightest, but the main resistance guy (I'm forgetting all of the names after a year!) knows too much, and I'm guessing the resistance beat the Raps to the punch by grabbing at least some of those people first. He did try to save those folks at the VFW post.

Mr Awe

10. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The series of unfortunate events leading up to the wall finally dropping from the sky was very ominous and well done. Honestly, this episode should have probably come about halfway through last season (with some tweaking) when the episodes were starting to seriously drag, but it almost makes for a nice new second start for the show. Hopefully they can keep up the momentum and sense of dread this episode established without falling back into their usual humdrum episodes, because this rekindled my interest.

11. Mr Awe

I thought this episode was great for that reason too but had the same thought. This would've been better last season to set it up. As it was, it felt a bit like a step backwards, but at least it was well done. Although, the real purpose was to retcon the former partner.

I didn't really think that episodes started dragging last year, although I can see that some developments might've been slower in coming than they should've.

My hope is that they don't try to milk the "What are the Raps?" question for too long this year. That could start to make it drag. They need to open up on that front. We get the whole idea about what life is like in the colony and the resistance, etc. Time to move on. So, my hope is they don't fall back on their usual ambiguity about the Raps. They need to start exploring the wastelands outside of LA too. I thought they were going to start doing that last year with the tunnel but that was only used plot-wise to get their son captured. That seems like a blown opportunity.

Mr Awe

12. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found the shift back to the present a bit jarring. I was like "huh, what? Oh, we're back in the present." I'd forgotten about the boy being captured and the dad off on a mission to Santa Monica

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yeah, that was poorly edited. There should have been some sort of transition or "Present Day" indicator to make it less abrupt.

14. Mr Awe

Somewhere Out There.

Immediately after watching this one, my initial reaction was that this was mainly a wheels spinning episode. It didn't really accomplish anything other than enhance the family drama angle.

However, Will did rescue Charlie and did a major kick ass job against the gang lord. That part of the story did move forward.

Thinking about it, my fears are that the series is setting up a cycle of family drama, rescue, more family drama, another rescue, etc. In other words, I'm hoping the 2nd season isn't simply building up to having the family reunited! A couple episodes in and we have built on anything major.

It does seem like the series has gone backwards in some ways. It was looking like the resistance had accomplished something major by taking the Rap tech. It appeared like Bram and the teacher were going to be exploring outside the walls and maybe doing something positive. Instead, we haven't heard about the tech and Bram is in a prison camp.

All I can say is that the series should get back to those aspects. The enhanced family drama angle isn't my cup of tea. Gee, I'm sure the tension between the sisters will be fun to watch. I suppose that religion thing could be an interesting angle. I wonder what the Best Day is?

Gee, surprise, the Raps are using humans for slave labor. They don't care what form of government the humans have as long as they give up a certain number of people. We figured that out in the first season.

15. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

16. Mr Awe

Aargh, that's disappointing to hear. While the family drama adds to the overall tension and provides good opportunities to develop the characters, a show like this should also advance the plot. I don't want to watch them just getting into and out of various sorts of trouble. Sounds like answering questions will be taking a back seat. I can see what you describe kicking in!

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

They finally mentioned the word Aliens in the show! Even should a ship taking off into the atmosphere

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if we will be seeing Proxy Schneider again?

19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well his current storyline is now linked with Bram's, so no reason to think you wouldn't.

20. Mr Awe

This last one was dull. Yikes! I'm hoping that now that Will and Charlie are back that they can quickly move past this family drama/angst stuff. We get it, family is important. Hopefully, Bram's story line in the camp wraps up quickly and we can move the story forward again.

They had made good headway in the past season. Capturing the Rap, exploring outside the wall, etc. Thought it was all going somewhere but now they're stuck. Hope the show gets out of the rut soon.

Mr Awe