Clive Swift Has Died, Aged 82

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Clive Swift has died, aged 82. Swift appeared in two Doctor Who stories -- the creepy Jobel in "Revelation of the Daleks" and the tourist guide Mr. Copper in "Voyage of the Damned."

His other claim to Doctor Who fame was telling Benjamin Cook that he wasn't a real journalist when Doctor Who Magazine interviewed him.

A decade ago, I hoped that Swift, as Mr. Copper, could appear on The Sarah Jane Adventures and we could see how he was adapting to life on Earth.

Swift also starred in a BBC radio play with Patrick Stewart, "Strangers on a Film," about Alfred Hitchcock and Raymond Chandler. Swift was Hitch, Stewart was Chandler, and it was hilarious and wonderful. I may listen to that tonight.

2. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

He was a bit of a prick in that DWM interview, but a damn fine actor.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I'll always remember him as the long-suffering Richard on "Keeping Up Appearances."

Myko likes this.
  4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Although I wasn't a regular viewer, my parents are huge fans of Keeping Up Appearances. Due to infrequent exposure to it while growing up, I was the only one in my social circle to recognize him in Voyage of the Damned.
    That interview was so awesome! I remember years ago finding an internet meme featuring a guy on a hospital bed in a full body cast with the caption "All I did was ask Clive Swift for an interview." Sadly, I can't find it now. A Google search of Clive Swift memes is mostly turning up Taylor Swift memes.

5. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain