Classic Who on Twitch (Again!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Jinn, May 23, 2018.

1. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

The serial that gets all the praise is his last sadly. However, there’s some good stuff going on in his last season, Turloughs whole arc is interesting, as is the guardian trilogy. And the five doctors is pretty much perfect, all things considered.

Jinn likes this.
  2. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I've heard of the "The Caves of Androzani" praise, especially in connection with "The Twin Dillemma" hatred. I'm looking forward to Turlough (apparantly he gets introduced today) andthe Guardian stuff. Unfortunately "The Five Doctors" isn't part of the marathon, but I'll buy it as DVD whenever I get the time. I'll probably have to make a serious Doctor Who hiatus after this marathon, all things considered. Good thing that I still got eight and a half seasons of Stargate SG-1 to rewatch :D

3. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally, my 5th Doctor top five would be Androzani, Earthshock, Kinda, Snakedance and Castrovalva, with Frontios, Visitation and Enlightenment next. Never got the season 21 praise really, one great story, one good, some mediocre, several poor.

4. Jinn

I'm absolutely loving "Mawdryn Undead"! I even thought the "shock reveal" at the end of the current part was actually scary!

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  5. jaime

I never got the hang of sg1.
    I won’t lie..I haven’t seen most of that last season since 1984, so some of it is memories of a three foot tall me. Production standards will have passed me by a little. XD

Jinn likes this.
  6. jaime

They really play up on the recent regeneration nicely. It’s almost a lash out at anyone who was then thinking Tristan Farnon wasn’t going to cut it. Only the early quantel and very old schoolboys kind of let it down. Story wise, it’s exactly the sort of thing New Who would consider doing today...it’s not hard to imagine it as a Matt Smith story, with an interloper laying on the Tardis floor in David Tennants coat. Though of course the companion dynamic is very different.

Jinn likes this.
  7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Mawdryn Undead is my favorite Davison story not called The Caves of Androzani. The return of the Brig, introduction of Turlough (my favorite male companion not wearing a kilt), the return of the Black Guardian (Valentine Dyall knew the right combination of ham and terrifying), some fun and crazy time traveling shenanigans, and some fun trickery regarding regenerations.

Jinn likes this.
  8. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Davison's got good serials since Earthshock. Snakedance, Mawdryn Undead, Enlightenment, Resurrection of the Daleks, Planet of Fire and the aforementioned serial that has something to do with some caves or something.

I also like Arc of Infinity a lot, but I'm in the minority there.

9. The Nth Doctor

Agreed with all of this, although I need to see Arc of Infinity again (missed it on Twitch). I'm also rather fond of The King's Demons for what it is. Frontios is fun, too, and I love the weirder parts of Kinda.

10. Emperor-Tiberius

Kinda is before Earthshock.

11. The Nth Doctor

Ah, right. I thought that might have been the case after I made the post but couldn't remember and I was too lazy to look it up.

12. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a great story and I absolutely loved seeing the Brig again and the dual timezone shenanigans were great. Only thing that bothered me was that the undeads' dilemma was not terribly plausible. If the goal was just to die, certainly they could have just blown up the ship (like happened in the end) or flown it into a sun or something. There is no way they could have regenerated through something like that.

The Nth Doctor and Jinn like this.
  13. Jinn

Yeah, that seemed a bit weird to me too. Maybe their disembodied consciousness is still floating around in space? Although that doesn't feel particularly Doctor Who-y.

I'm also not that fond of the idea that meeting your past self results in timeline damage or whatever, but overall I still really liked the story.

14. The Nth Doctor

I need to watch the story again (it's been more than a few years) so I'm not entirely sure how to explain that issue, but I'm sure it's likely one of those "don't think about it too much" kind of scenarios that often happens on the show.

You're clearly not the only one since the Blinovitch Limitation Effect has largely been ignored, aside vaguely for "Father's Day," which in turn was largely ignored regarding the Reapers. I think it's an interesting idea for the one story (same for the Reapers) but obviously it's not sustainable in the long run of time traveling shenanigans. And that's before you get to the Moffat craziness. :lol:

Jinn likes this.
  15. Jinn

What if you encounter your past self and the universe explodes, but your past self is actually a shapeshifting robot out to punish criminals from the past?!

16. The Nth Doctor

I don't know but that sounds like a story that needs to be written!

Jinn likes this.
  17. diankra

Well, some of Kinda was shot duri g Earthshock (the episodes were short so they got a bit of padding of Adric and Tegan arguing in a corridor)

18. Emperor-Tiberius

Color me impressed. I did not know that.

19. diankra

It's the bit where Adric is saying how he could have sorted out the problems in the TSS if the Doctor hadn't interfered. Once you know their hair is a giveaway.

20. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm watching 'Timelash' and I keep wishing that I was instead watching the third Doctor's earlier adventures on the same place that are referenced in the episode... (Yes, I know that no such episode really exists.)